cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fancier isn't always better

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for writing this post, but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway because it's true. Fancier and more sophisticated isn't always better than simple and cheap.

I'm talking about my power awnings. I used to have a 12 foot awning on my Fleetwood Storm 32BH and I loved it. It had two attachments to my MH. One at the top and the poles attached at the middle or I could stake them to the ground. In addition, there were side bars that I could attach de-flappers to and make it much more stable. I had the ability to angle the awnings to prevent any water buildup in the rain.

Fast forward to today and I'm in a much nicer, comfortable and luxurious coach. I love this coach and feel very lucky to have it; but I don't love the awnings. I have two 20 foot Girard Nova Dual Slope awnings and I can rarely use them. They deploy and retract with the touch of a button and even come with a remote control. When I deploy them on a still day or evening, they are fantastic, but the moment the winds pick up to over 5 mph, they start bouncing up and down until eventually they protect themselves by retracting automatically, like a scared turtle.

Basically, I can rarely use them for two reasons, 1) the wind is rarely below 5 mph and 2) they are 20 feet wide each. There are almost always trees or some other obstruction within a 40 foot length 8 feet away from my coach.

Now, I know many of you will say that I have no right to complain because I'm privileged and drive such an expensive coach and I agree. I really shouldn't complain and I recognize how silly it sounds, but I have to say that I miss my old awnings (just the awnings). I envy the outdoor spaces many of you create with yours just outside your coaches. I also miss opening my door in a rainstorm and not getting wet.

And no, I wouldn't want to switch coaches just to get more practical awnings.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
35 REPLIES 35

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Well I'm going to catch flack for this but from the large number of awnings that I've seen torn up or off over the years because the owner was (choose one) to lazy, too stupid, too drunk to retract it when the wind comes up, would benefit from the electric awning as it is apparently smarter than a large number of RV owners.

To me it is very annoying to be sitting in a campground and hear a half dozen awnings slamming and banging in the wind.

^^^^^ This.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well first of all KISS is just not always better period. Think of carburetors vs. Fuel injection. Ill take computerized fuel injection ANYDAY over and old fashioned very simple carburetor.

What is wrong here is not complexity. It is POOR DESIGN. Which for what I am guessing he paid for his coach (around 500k) is inexcusable.

And this kind of thing is wht is being talked about on another thread regarding the Manufacturers rushing headlong to make ever bigger and bigger more power hungry RV's with little regard for customer or the industry and it's infrastructure.

In many cases like the OP's the manufacture valued bigger, more complex and showmanship over quality and elegant design.

My first BMW 733i back in 86? came with MANUALLY adjusted seats. but you could make those seats do anything and everything was so well balanced and easy to use you never had to shift your weight. Of course electric seats were an improvement but our idea of luxury has meant that we do nothing but push a button rather than appreciate a fine design and have more real options.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Carefree electric awning on our Class C. It does not have the wind sensor, so it doesn't come in when it is windy. Where we spend the summer, we are directly across from a farm to the west. Literally across the main campground road. During the summer, there is a constant wind blowing off the farm. It is great to for keeping the temps feel cooler, but is a pain with the awning.

2015 was our second year directly across from the farm. The first year we didn't do anything with the awning other than pull it in when it got too windy. Last year, we bought a set of awning tie downs that made a huge difference. We bought this set from Amazon for $18. I had never seen a set with the springs, but the springs were an awning saver for us.

Setup is simple, just screw the pegs in the ground (put the spring on before the peg is complete screwed into the ground) and connect the straps. Without the springs, the pegs could be pulled out of the ground in a really strong wind. We had a macroburst storm come through at the end of June - the forecast was for a severe thunderstorm, no warning of high winds. The storm downed trees and electric poles in the campground, 4 campers had trees through roofs. Since there was no forecast of high winds, I left the awning out.

As soon as I saw the massive dirt cloudy move over the trees on the farm, I knew we were in trouble. There was no time to pull the awning in, the wind was on us seconds later. The wind blew strong (NWS says up to 80 mph) for 15 minutes or so. The springs on the awning tie downs were permanently stretched to twice their original size. They could not be compressed again. The awning survived the storm and works fine. I wouldn't have left the awning out if I knew winds were going to be that high. An $18 investment, saved us a big repair bill.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a manual awning. I rarely ever use it. I live on the prairie where the wind always blows, or comes up suddenly. I'm so afraid of it getting ripped off of the camper that I never put it out. If I do put it out and the wind changes, then I have to run quickly to the camper and struggle to put it in while the wind is trying to rip it away from me.

I , for one, would love to have a power awning where I could just push a button every time a wind / rain storm blows in.

I walked though my favorite campground one day last summer when there was a thunderstorm in the forecast. The only people with there awning still out were the people with electric awnings. Everyone else had pulled theirs in just to be safe.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Our sunscreen is 8' long...it retracts slowly but it goes up. We take it off when traveling though, because of the weight.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
We have a Carefree electric awning and have no problems with it. We bought de flappers for the sides, slid a sun screen into the tube and used stakes and bungies to hold it down. Only one time did we have to pull the stakes all of last winter, and the sun screen rolled right up with the awning.
How long is your sun screen? I've never tried leaving mine on when retracting the awning.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Carefree electric awning and have no problems with it. We bought de flappers for the sides, slid a sun screen into the tube and used stakes and bungies to hold it down. Only one time did we have to pull the stakes all of last winter, and the sun screen rolled right up with the awning.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
I remember a great thread on here a while ago, titled "I Love My Manual Awning."

Bruce

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
A suggestion for the OP.To stop the flapping use a couple of containers filled with water tied off from the end of the awning so that the awning will have to lift them off the ground to flap. Jerking can be eliminated by having a bit of bungey cord connected inline.
I've thought about this but didn't do it out of fear I'll damage the mechanism if it tries to retract against my tie down.
You can turn the auto function on and off. I have never tied mine down but I do see a huge number of auto awnings tied down. Solution is simple...spend the big bucks and get a mechanical awning if thats what winds your watch.
Someday Finally Got Here

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
you just happen to not like your awnings.

doesn't mean others don't love theirs that are fancier and 'better'

change yours if you want. go to RV place and for cost you can probably do alot of things to make them more to your liking ๐Ÿ™‚ money can do wonders on making changes you want. of course if you want!

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Just GREAT!
I'm not going to read another word from you guys about how you hate electric awnings..

Our new trailer is coming with an electric awning. It's going to work perfectly every time in any conditions and I'm going to love it....so there.
I'm in your shoes. Picking up our new TT on Monday and it's coming with an electric powered awning. It's also going to be a totally new experience for me. :B
You'll probably be fine. Mine has no external arms supporting it. You are likely to get some sort of scissor truss arms supporting yours.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new trailer.
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
A suggestion for the OP.To stop the flapping use a couple of containers filled with water tied off from the end of the awning so that the awning will have to lift them off the ground to flap. Jerking can be eliminated by having a bit of bungey cord connected inline.
I've thought about this but didn't do it out of fear I'll damage the mechanism if it tries to retract against my tie down.
`

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Just GREAT!
I'm not going to read another word from you guys about how you hate electric awnings..

Our new trailer is coming with an electric awning. It's going to work perfectly every time in any conditions and I'm going to love it....so there.
I'm in your shoes. Picking up our new TT on Monday and it's coming with an electric powered awning. It's also going to be a totally new experience for me. :B

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
We paid a vendor in Yuma to upgrade our mechanical awning to electric. Best decision we ever made. Yes, sometimes it retracts in a breeze rather than wait for a wind but it goes back out as easily as it went back in. We use it nearly constantly where we seldom used the mechanical one.
Someday Finally Got Here