cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

firearm question

hummingbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.
53 REPLIES 53

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, it didn't take long for a gun thread to turn personal and ugly. Hopefully the OP got an answer.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is a one on one answer only you can decide, I carry a weapon my choice ,

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
R.M.Bob ~ For all intent and purpose I agree with you. However a lot of the 'youth' in my neighborhood shooting sports does not mean going to the 'range'. Listen to shots all night long ~ Thankfully there are a lot fewer than 5-6 years ago.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
A gun is to stop another PERSON from doing something.

I am less worried about 2 legged critters than 4 legged ones. For me carrying a firearm is a tool to deal with elements of nature that have a foul attitude.

As far as the unsavory 2 legged critters, there are many weapons available that are not leathal, but very effective. Mace, pepper spray, fire extinguisher, hornet spray.

I spent several years driving truck. Got to visit some less than stellar neighborhoods. Carried a weapon that was legal everywhere. Even went back and forth to Canada on a regular basis. Kept a good old can of starting fluid next to the seat.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I have not (and I pray it stays that way) but I went thru the training and jumped thru the hoops to get a CCW so my weapon goes with me. In fact, when I leave home, ALL my weapons come with me because if my home was burglarized while away Calif. would not let me replace them with the same ones.

You must be one of the lucky ones. I know CA does not just hand out CCWs. Been camping all my life and never needed a weapon. But I do have a concealed carry license and never leave home without it. The weapon anyway.

hummingbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I am truly thrilled that so many have responded to my questions re firearms, and night stops. You have given us a wealth of thoughtful and wise information. Just want to thank you; I now feel more comfortable "posting" questions about those things we need guidance with!! I WILL be back; so much to learn!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling only once when we overnighted in a Walmart parking lot but it was only because it was a 24 hour store and the type of people who seemed to frequent the store in the wee hours weren't of the most savory kind. I witnessed 2 drug deals in the lot that night, way obvious. I did manage to get some sleep but my firearm was close at hand.

In instances not travel related, 2 times just the sight of my holstered openly carried firearm deterred a couple of upstanding citizens from choosing me as their next victim. I could tell by their demeanor they were sizing me up. I just made sure they saw I was armed and like magic they moved on.

Will you ever need one in your travels? Only you can determine that one. I prefer to have one and not need it.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Forty years of camping everywhere from crowded state parks to wilderness backcountry, never felt like I needed a weapon.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1968mooney wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you own a friearm and are proficient with that firearm at present?
NO........then carry a rock
YES....then you know that the only reason to pull a firearm is to shoot/kill someone otherwise carry a rock.

I have owned firearms since I was 10 yrs old and am now 66 yrs old
I am quite proficient in the use of firearms ---pistols/rifles/shotguns and had a Carry Permit when required.

YET......I have NEVER had the NEED to pull and use any firearm in civilian life.

What size Rock do you suggest carrying? :S

Once again you have proven your lack of providing ANY useful information
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

et2
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
et2 wrote:
To those that say carrying a gun doesn't make you safer probably never owned one or can. One thing that's a fact while carrying, I go out of my way to avoid any confrontation with people. While driving or otherwise.

I believe this is in response to my comment. I'd like to clarify that I stated "simply having a gun does not make you safer". What makes you safer by having a gun is being properly trained in using the gun AND understanding that it is a last resort AND using all the other tools in your arsenal (like avoiding confrontation).

Many people who are not familiar with guns do think that simply having a gun makes them safer. If they've never handled, let alone fired, a gun, they don't realize it's not as simple as it looks on tv. These are the folks who will buy a gun for protection but not get the proper training or understand the responsibility or repercussions that go along with it. And these are the ones who make mistakes that destroy innocent lives along with their own lives.

But, isn't that what I said? "Part of the CCW training" is the gun is not the choice to solving problems and the solution is removing yourself from one. Anyone getting a CCW is "trained to understand this". They even go into using other methods other than using a firearm. Pens, pencils, a rolled up magazine, flash light, pepper spray, etc.

You just glazed over why I said that makes you safer. The training does! The question was do you bring one when RVing. Most people who do, probably have training vs those who don't ... Which you you're referring to, and yes that's a problem. Lack of training is a problem with anything in life.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
et2 wrote:
To those that say carrying a gun doesn't make you safer probably never owned one or can. One thing that's a fact while carrying, I go out of my way to avoid any confrontation with people. While driving or otherwise.

I believe this is in response to my comment. I'd like to clarify that I stated "simply having a gun does not make you safer". What makes you safer by having a gun is being properly trained in using the gun AND understanding that it is a last resort AND using all the other tools in your arsenal (like avoiding confrontation).

Many people who are not familiar with guns do think that simply having a gun makes them safer. If they've never handled, let alone fired, a gun, they don't realize it's not as simple as it looks on tv. These are the folks who will buy a gun for protection but not get the proper training or understand the responsibility or repercussions that go along with it. And these are the ones who make mistakes that destroy innocent lives along with their own lives.

With the right comes the responsibility. A firearm, or any weapon, is not a magic talisman against evil. You have to have the skill, knowledge and most of all, the will to use it. A gun will do, if you will do. If you have no interest in availing yourself of the proper instruction and knowledge, I would recommend against it. This is a good post from Toedtoes.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer is no. I have not. But it's not about the likelihood. It's about the cost. Choose wisely.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
et2 wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just make sure it is put away safe when you visit the grandkids.