cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first aid kits

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought do all of you carry first aid kits. Usually we have at leat a bandaid but this past trip forgot a kit, and don't you know that's when you need it. Took a tumble on a resturant boardwalk that the boards were sticking up. Tore up my arm and hit my head . Got bandaged, but went to an urgent care place to make sure all was o.k. Then we had to go and buy all sorts of bandages and stuff, when we had all that at home. So now on my pack list I have in big letters First Aid Kit and will leave it in the camper.Other than that mishap we had a great week two weeks ago. Have a good summer everyone and watch where you walk. ๐Ÿ™‚
Southbound
30 REPLIES 30

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 small children. First Aid Kit = MUST HAVE. I have a large kit in the TT and keep a small necessity kit in the truck. Aside from sterile tools I think I have enough supplies to treat a battalion.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep we carry...
Just like in my cars and truck -

Its all about PLAN Bs...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

sodakfisherman
Explorer
Explorer
JESTER7406 wrote:
Bottom line: buy what you can use within your abilities...

Agreed. This is the key. A basic kit for routine wound care and basic OTC medications should be in everyone's camper. I think one is far better off buying an empty bag/box and stocking it with basic supplies and medications rather than buying the pre-packaged kits.

As an Emergency Physician with Wilderness Medicine training, I have a pretty extensive kit, allowing for advanced wound care, including suturing and bleeding control, joint and fracture splinting, medications, etc. I bought a large medical jump kit from Gall's, stocked it appropriately, and keep it in the camper at all times. I have a smaller, portable stripped-down basic kit (also from Gall's) that I keep in my backpack for hiking excursions.
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L CTD
2013 Jayco Eagle 324BTS
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ 230BH + Equal-i-zer 1000/10000 (SOLD)

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Little did I know that my 2-week-old first responders training would come in handy when I was called to a full body burn in the campground. My kit had only a pair of gloves to use. A CPR barrier was almost necessary, but my kit didn't have one. I'm buying a couple of decent kits ASAP.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Dtaylor wrote:
Having worked many years as a paramedic, most first aid kits you purchase are crap. They are filled with all sorts of things you will never use or need. The best thing is to make your on. I created mine and keep the items organized in a Plano 3700 box

Ditto to dtaylor: I run the daily bag in the front for minor stuff then run full trauma/ med bag under couch for really bad days. Hoping it stays there while on vacation.

Bottom line: buy what you can use within your abilities. Remembering that fate favors the prepared and God helps those who help themselves.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Like many of you I was an EMT (CPR Instructor) :Bfor many years while working. Those skills never erode and can be valuable at any moment. We do have a large first aid kit in our MH and check it once a year to make sure supplies are fresh and in good condition. I also still carry my EMT bag in my truck that I drive daily. Never can tell when you'll need it.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
link
bob_nestor wrote:
Dixie EMS makes some compact First Responder Kits that are very complete and fairly inexpensive.

http://www.dixieems.com/DixiGear-First-Responder-II-Kit-Orange.asp?par=106&catname=Medical+Bags+and+Kits&par=146&catname=First+Responder+Kits&pid=837

Pretty good kit
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

I start with a basic kit and then add things myself. For instance I always add Benadryl, ibuprofen, aspirin, anti-diarrheal, Quick-clot, and other items.

X2 on the anti-diarrheal medicine. Nothing can ruin a camping trip quicker!
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a first aid kit in each trailer and each vehicle including the motorcycle and bicycles.

I start with a basic kit and then add things myself. For instance I always add Benadryl, ibuprofen, aspirin, anti-diarrheal, Quick-clot, and other items.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Bought one with lots of things I can't necessarily use, but seems like someone is around that might Make use of it !
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine everybodies needs are different but it is a truely a good idea to have at least a basic first aid kit in the RV, after all you are propusely getting somewhat out of the way

For use chasing horses and kids all over half the country we keep a basic first aid kit in all SUVs and a full fledge first Responders kit in the Trucks and RV with additional supplies. End up using them a few times every year for various stuff.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked many years as a paramedic, most first aid kits you purchase are crap. They are filled with all sorts of things you will never use or need. The best thing is to make your on. I created mine and keep the items organized in a Plano 3700 box
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have a first aid kit, and one thing I'd recomend is a box of HemCon bandages.

Expensive but extremely effective at stopping bad bleeding from a bad cut etc.

http://www.amazon.com/KytoStat-Bandages-HemCon-3-ea/dp/B0019L21A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369879664&sr=8-1&keywords=hemcon+bandage
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dixie EMS makes some compact First Responder Kits that are very complete and fairly inexpensive.

http://www.dixieems.com/DixiGear-First-Responder-II-Kit-Orange.asp?par=106&catname=Medical+Bags+and+Kits&par=146&catname=First+Responder+Kits&pid=837

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm FA/CPR instructor as well, but I probably don't as much stuff as retired's DW.

I trip on air and end up with bruised and scraped knees, arms, anywhere there's bare skin. I also get moderate to severe reactions from just about any bug bite. So, wee have complete first aid kit in the TT, one in our boat and pocket size in my camera bag.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.