cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Ecoboost Problems

craiger4
Explorer
Explorer
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/blog--nhtsa-investigates-fords-ecoboost-v6-following-two-lawsuits?icid=autos_4373
25 REPLIES 25

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:

I might stand corrected on this, but in a lot of engine applications, there is no substitute for cubes.

Yes, because where would we be without the Fiat 4cyl 28.3 liter 300hp behemoth or the Bugatti 12.7 liter 275hp etc etc? ๐Ÿ™‚ Time moves on and smaller engines become more efficient reliable and powerful. Although nothing sounds as good as a big block ๐Ÿ™‚

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The EB is a decent engine, but a V6 is a V6, no matter how you force air down its throat. For general MPG, the EB engine is amazing, and the engine keeps its HP at higher elevations compared to a normally aspirated gasser. However, for towing tasks on the long haul, I much rather have the 6.2 because it is a relatively simpler engine with fewer parts that can fail.

I might stand corrected on this, but in a lot of engine applications, there is no substitute for cubes.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
How long did it take for the Workhorse recall to be issued. I wanted to go to Alaska andcouldn't because of the brake problems. Now we are not able to go that far on a trip. NHTSA works slow but, they are government so what do you expect.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
95 complaints for 3 model years. Not sure how many 3.5 EB's they sold in that time but it has to be more than 100,000. Want to guess how many other motors during that period had 100 or less complaints? Or does anyone have reliable information on the numbers?

96 out of 400,000 sold in 3 years, less than 1/25 of 1%

The NHTSA says IT has received 95 complaintsโ€ฆ the article doesnโ€™t say how much data about reported problems was turned over to them from Ford as required by lawโ€ฆ it is also common for recalls to expand as time goes onโ€ฆ this is especially true on complaints that linger for years and span different modelsโ€ฆ

The correct question is in fla-gypsy postโ€ฆ does anyone have reliable information on the numbersโ€ฆ

I would bet those having the problem feel it is a serious safety defect and that the NHTSA has been sitting on their laurels and taking their good old time in issuing a mandatory recallโ€ฆ when it yours only one number matters and the total number is immaterialโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Locally, lots of Folks have the eco boost. The design service life of the turbo is only 150,000 miles. Don't know all the problems but a lot are in the bays.
Lots of People are favoring the 5.0 and 6.2 instead.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
95 complaints for 3 model years. Not sure how many 3.5 EB's they sold in that time but it has to be more than 100,000. Want to guess how many other motors during that period had 100 or less complaints? Or does anyone have reliable information on the numbers?

96 out of 400,000 sold in 3 years,less than 1/25 of 1%
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
NHTSA is also looking at steering failures on 2008 Ford F-250 and F-350 pickup trucks after at least five owners said their vehicles had problems with the steering gear box that caused them to lose control.

After reading the Ford forums it seems they had junk steering gear boxes for yearsโ€ฆ some of those guys seem to have to readjust them semi-annually to keep the wandering down to a lane or twoโ€ฆ :B:B:B
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

sele
Explorer
Explorer
go to Ford f150.net you will find all kinds of information. with each passing model year the problem has become less and less. There are fewer complaints about the Eco Boost verses the transmission issue which was resolved the first year. PLEASE before giving any product a bad rap do some research first
scott

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford already has a bulletin for the problem. Don't know what it is.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it happens during damp weather, soon to be a recall for repair.