cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge contemplation. Really just need to go camping.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Why, if our absorption refrigerators need to be level for proper operation, due manufacturers not put a device on them to shut them down when not level. So I ask, is this a conspiracy so we have to buy new fridges when they die or they really don't need to be that level.

Like I said I need to go camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
12 REPLIES 12

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
I get the distinct opinion some folks don't understand the question. just sayin

Neither one matters.

Thread is/was a "non-starter" - that got started, LOL!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
eric1514 wrote:
ARP Control
Excellent.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
ARP Control

This device will turn off your fridge if it starts to overheat by being out of level.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I get the distinct opinion some folks don't understand the question. just sayin

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can walk around it is level enough ! We do not need anymore mandated safety features , I got to many now !

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Why can't some one come up with a fridge that is mounted on a gimble of some sort to automatically level the fridge a few degrees. Most of the time we all make the mistake of not reading "level" in the right place on the RV. I use the freezer compartment floor, but there are times when this has ice on it and an accurate reading is not possible. I like to have mine dead on level. just askin
To answer your question....cost. If you need a reference line for your level to level the fridge, make that reference line close to the fridge, making sure the fridge and line correspond. You can drill small holes and place pegs or finishing nails to hold the level to the reference while you do the mechanical bits. Alternatively, most smart phones have a gyro inside so a level app works well. I use it with my phone and it is accurate.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Or, if it's out of level and starting to over heat, why not employ an dout of balance motor (thing of the old "Magic fingers" motel beds) to keep it flowing. If you felt and heard it come on you would know your not level enough.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't some one come up with a fridge that is mounted on a gimble of some sort to automatically level the fridge a few degrees. Most of the time we all make the mistake of not reading "level" in the right place on the RV. I use the freezer compartment floor, but there are times when this has ice on it and an accurate reading is not possible. I like to have mine dead on level. just askin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood helium fridges have a tilt monitor.....it will shut down fridge if off level

ARP makes a safety device that monitors overheating conditions and will shut down a fridge if off level (off level causes overheating issues)

Norcold and Dometic installed 'recall kits' to trip all DC power if overheating occurs.

Off level operation damage is accumulative/permanent (little bit of overheating/little bit of crystallizing/little bit of build up----each/every time. Even that 15-20 mins on side of road).

Reasonably Level is the key......

GO CAMPING!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Both Dometic and Norcold say that if the RV is level enough for comfortably moving about, the fridge is level enough.

X2. You don't have to be completely level. Go camping! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
While underway, the fridge operates fine when off level due to the motion and vibration of the vehicle. A level switch would likely be turning the fridge on and off frequently in that situation, and that of course, would not be good. There are some makes/models with an "out of level" indicator though. Both Dometic and Norcold say that if the RV is level enough for comfortably moving about, the fridge is level enough.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The usual reason...cost.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman