cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furance Is Giving Grief

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at my wits end over this furnace. Yes, it's under warrenty. Yes, we full-time. Yes, I called a mobile tech (who didn't show up), No, I can't drive to a major city for work until the first of April. That said.

We have a 2015 North Trail 26LRSS. The furnance for lack of better term is forgetting to turn on. We installed a new thermostat and that didn't help. If you turn the unit from off to on it starts right up and gets to temp with no problem. Then once it clicks off it's a **** shoot whether it will automatically turn back on. You'll hear the thermostat click but he blower doesn't come on nor does it try to light. Sometimes it does come on. Usually it doesn't. I've checked all the vents, the exhaust, new thermostat. Nothing has helped. Propane tank is full and has even been swapped from side to side. Regulators seem to be in good shape. I'm totally over it.

I don't really have the time to hook up and take it to Jacksonville before we head to Nashville at the end of the month. Any ideas for what else to look at?
24 REPLIES 24

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You could open the outside access. Locate the incoming wires from the thermostat and the power source. Make sure the screws that hold the wires are tight.
Wiggle the interior wires to see if one pops loose.
Try contacting Atwood for another service person!

Mine was doing the same thing about 5 years ago and I did this. Found a bad wire connection. Mine was also an Atwood. When it tries to start and doesn't, wiggle the wires.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Had a very similar issue the second year I had my TT. Cause -- a dead furnace board.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
My suburban furnace was acting the same as the OP's and I ended up replacing the circuit board.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the T-stat connections at the T-stat and the furnace, if all good, most likely bad board. It is like it doesn't see the start signal.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
MTHome wrote:
... We installed a new thermostat and that didn't help. If you turn the unit from off to on it starts right up and gets to temp with no problem. Then once it clicks off it's a **** shoot whether it will automatically turn back on. You'll hear the thermostat click but he blower doesn't come on nor does it try to light. ...
If you turn the thermostat off then on again at that point does the furnace start?

Since the blower starting is the first thing that has to happen it can't be an LP problem.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like a defective circuit board.
I agree. Other post you have had suggest purge propane tanks, sail switch,and power supply. it can't be any of these since your op stated you could turn it off and back on and it would start back up.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a defective circuit board.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
All the lp appliances work and I've run the double burner proane grill off both tanks with no problem.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does the other LP appliances work? Light all the burners on stove and water heater.
This should tell if the LP tanks or regulator is an issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem last year. Finally last fall I took the furnace out to get to the igniter. The problem was that the distance from the electronic igniter to the top of the furnace was off. I had to adjust it to the proper gap. Since then it has worked every time. I am in Florida for the winter so the furnace is in constant use. Go outside by the furnace vent and as the thermostat clicks you should hear the click of the ignitor if it clicks and then nothing happens it could be the gap.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
MTHome wrote:
...You'll hear the thermostat click but he blower doesn't come on nor does it try to light...

This video is for a Suburban furnace, but you should have the same thing on your Attwood. I'll leave it up to you if it's beyond your skills or not to troubleshoot it.

Time Delay relay.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
This is just a guess and a small possibility but I had the exact same issue and I was able to solve it. I even had all the same suggestions as you. My problem was that the entire furnace was starting to wiggle loose from years of driving. I had to get a drill and tighten all the screws that held the entire furnace and board in place. Once I did that, my intermittent but mostly consistent furnace issues vanished. Rock solid now. Took five minutes. Probably not the problem but possible. Good luck!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was the units we have i would say the sail switch. Contacts like point beakers on old cars. Eventually it won't com on at all.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
MTHome wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
this is easy your bottles were not perged properly after it sits pressure builds up it works pressure goes down it turns off locks out due to low pressure

Need more info. What's the solution?

IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A DIFFERENT LP TANK HOOK IT UP AND SEE IF PROBLEM DISAPPEARS.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!