cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas stations

Gillkid
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgraded to a 29' TT from a pop up. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but got to thinking about gas stations the other day. Is there a map or maybe an app for a smartphone that has ideal places to stop and get gas? If not, what approach do you guys take? My guess is that truck stations are going to be the way to go. I know that I've been in gas stations where I wouldn't even take my pop up. I'd hate to get stuck pulling the TT.
37 REPLIES 37

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Couple quick adds.

. Many modern gas vehicles have in tank fuel pumps. The fuel lubes and cools the pump. If you run out of gas, there is a decent chance you will damage the pump as well. And there you will sit until a new fuel pump comes.

. I carry a 5gallon fuel container. Holdover from my jeep and motorcycle days. If you can't get to the pump, you can transfer fuel to the tank. Works in a pinch.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Someone may ask why do "we" aggressively look for a fuel station when we're only 1/2 empty. There is a difference between diesel and gas. Diesel is JUST not as available as gas. Many gas stations do not provide diesel. That in itself creates a challenge.

Second, I know ever state is different, but in Indiana there's 2 prices for diesel. One price is called "car diesel", for individuals. The other price is for commercial consumers (truck drivers) that get a tax exempt break. So when pulling into a truck stop pump for diesel, it's really a hassle to make sure you're paying the right amount. It means often going inside first, leaving your credit card, some such thing like this. It's just a real pain-in-the-neck if your not a commercial driver. So, conventional gas stations are much easier there because they have only 1 price... car diesel. This avoids a lot of headache.

Third, as everyone knows who drives a diesel, you NEVER want to run out of fuel. If you do, you've got to go through the process to prime your fuel filter and all of that. It's not like a gasoline engine, that you simply crank the engine and the fuel pump will pump the fuel to the engine. I've never run out of fuel, and I never want to either. Thus the reason to aggressively start looking for a fuel station at 1/2 empty. It give me a wide cushion to find that next station.

At home, this really is not an issue. I know where the fuel stations are. At home I can monitor my usage and plan my fill-ups. But when traveling in new territory we've never been to before, that's when the 1/2 rule REALLY becomes important. You just don't know don't know how far the next station will be, and if you do, that station might not have diesel. That's were applications like GasBuddy.com come in so handy.

I just wanted to explain why so many have the 1/2 rule! Hope this helps explain for all you "gas" users who don't have to deal with the "diesel" issues.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Try doing that when you are by yourself!

Gillkid
Explorer
Explorer
It's funny to hear you guys talking about backing out. Apparently you guy's have forgotten that there is nothing more intimidating in towing that trying to back a camper up with other people watching. Planning beforehand, for gas, wasn't something that I had considered, but will be something else to add to my pretrip research. I can't thank you guys enough. No matter how minute, these tidbits are helpful to people like me who will be experimenting a lot of these things for the first time.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"gas is delivered on an 18 wheeler and they pull in there" plus gas buddy for the best price. Two blocks from FlyingJ can save me $10 on a fill up. I figure my stops by the miles driven, not my fuel gauge. If you stop closer to empty you'll save half your problems although I do not find it to be a problem getting fuel.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I will scope out the station before pulling in - even if means holding up some traffic for a few seconds. Also, I have had to back out of a station on more than one occasion. When that happens, my wife will act as spotter and stop traffic if necessary. I have even asked a fellow traveller to help me if my wife was not along.

Generally it is not a problem and if you try to get the outside pumps or stations that have parallel pumps to the road (getting rarer!) you will be ok. Beware of stations that have the pumps perpendicular to the station and close to it that allow patrons to park in front of the building. That is the situation that would most likely make you have to back out or wait for someone to move. In cases like that, I will not pull in unless the end pump is available.

It is not something that would require an app or something like that to help you out. Of course, truck stops are always an option but they are usually quite dirty.
Barney

I'll add 2 things to what Barney said as that is exactly what we do too.

1. When we hit 1/2 a tank, I'm aggressively looking for a gas station. I can better pick and choose. We have a GPS with gas stations on it and it helps, but I do a slow pass by and , yes or no quick. In time you know where not to go...

2. When you pull in make sure you are approx 2.5 to 3 feet from the pump with both camper and truck. More than a normal car. You need that extra room to swing or back up and have a space cushion to now be sweating bullets you are going to hit the pumps. You need to "expect" the jerk who will zip in front, next to and behind you as they cannot wait 10 seconds. I have learned to just sit and wait. Wife gets all boiled about it, I don't need the stress, I'm camp'in...

The key to learn is what you can and should not do. It comes with time and practice to learn your rig turning needs. And most times sealed in your memory forever on a close encounter....

And let me add to this...

1/ If the pumps do face the building, I try to find a station that I can pull in and fuel and pull out beside and behind the building. I can find that with most of the gas station/gps maps on a smart phone.

2/ Since I do not have a large tank (25 gal) going 150 miles between fuel stops is not the most practical for me so I plan my fuel stops. If I have a full day of driving I tend to go longer than when I get closer to the end. I use this website to find fuel stops and use the maps to find gas stations with easy in-oh.

Click for fuel stop program

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
if u will watch the gas stations that say desil, and work from there, I waz nervious to at first.just go slow, I got a ruler and did the height thing my self. then started watching the bridge numbers. now its all happy-camping

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to what's already been said, we also carry the book "The Next Exit." It tells you what's coming up at the next exit so you know what to look for. Not always perfect but it also identifies which stations are RV friendly.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

APT
Explorer
Explorer
First, top off before hooking up at home or at campground.

You'll get figure it out. Two entrances are favorable, corners especially. It's takes a bit of thinking and planning when you see a station, but not too big of a deal. Avoid rush hour fills!

My previous truck had 160-200 mile range which meant a stop on almost every trip. Love my 39gal tank now!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's one of those things one worries about quite a bit when new to towing, but doesn't matter much after some time behind the wheel. After five + years and plenty of guidance from kind folks here, I don't give it too much thought anymore. True, it's nice to be surprised with easy in, easy out, but I don't obsess over it like I used to. If you can pull in, you can back out. Just a matter of convenience. Take your time, don't let anyone hurry you, and stop worrying so much. Most folks love to help "rig" drivers negotiate obstacles. Just don't put too much faith in strangers judgement. Never be afraid to look for yourself. Swing wider near the pumps, keep the arc going after you pass, don't straighten it out too soon. Use a spotter if you have one. Beware of thoughtless people in a hurry. Lots going on at gas stops. Don't forget to do a walk around of your rig at every stop. Be safe!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We rarely traveled Interstates.....mostly secondary/backroads and if I can tow it, take it to various CGs with all kinds of sites-interior roads then I can fuel up.

When the fuel gauge indicates 1/2 tank then I start looking for fuel....gives me plenty of time/miles to make a decision

In 7 yrs. of FT towing a 34' 5th wheel with a Quad Cab Long Bed I have only been in two (2) gas stations where I had to do a little thinking about getting out.....I backed out!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never used it for a trip, but I use gas buddy app to find the lowest price based of my geographical location. It will alert you if the prices are going up
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarneyS wrote:
I will scope out the station before pulling in - even if means holding up some traffic for a few seconds. Also, I have had to back out of a station on more than one occasion. When that happens, my wife will act as spotter and stop traffic if necessary. I have even asked a fellow traveller to help me if my wife was not along.

Generally it is not a problem and if you try to get the outside pumps or stations that have parallel pumps to the road (getting rarer!) you will be ok. Beware of stations that have the pumps perpendicular to the station and close to it that allow patrons to park in front of the building. That is the situation that would most likely make you have to back out or wait for someone to move. In cases like that, I will not pull in unless the end pump is available.

It is not something that would require an app or something like that to help you out. Of course, truck stops are always an option but they are usually quite dirty.
Barney

I'll add 2 things to what Barney said as that is exactly what we do too.

1. When we hit 1/2 a tank, I'm aggressively looking for a gas station. I can better pick and choose. We have a GPS with gas stations on it and it helps, but I do a slow pass by and , yes or no quick. In time you know where not to go...

2. When you pull in make sure you are approx 2.5 to 3 feet from the pump with both camper and truck. More than a normal car. You need that extra room to swing or back up and have a space cushion to now be sweating bullets you are going to hit the pumps. You need to "expect" the jerk who will zip in front, next to and behind you as they cannot wait 10 seconds. I have learned to just sit and wait. Wife gets all boiled about it, I don't need the stress, I'm camp'in...

The key to learn is what you can and should not do. It comes with time and practice to learn your rig turning needs. And most times sealed in your memory forever on a close encounter....
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I"ve round VERY FEW gas stations that I can't use with my 34 foot trailer. EVEN t hose convenience store stations are not off limits if you choose an end pump position. I really can't even imagine planning where I would need gas on a trip so when I get low, I pull in somewhere. My only preference is to avoid truck stops as much as possible because of the high traffic in the area and they are usually a little higher priced than other stations in the area.

For me it's a LOT of planning if I decide ahead of time which highway I'll be using ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
With practice you just learn how to do it. Just don't get so empty that you can't pass up a station that is a little too tight. The worst problem that I have ever had was having to wait on someone that got gas and then decided to shop in the mini mart while parking me in (has happened a few times).

Think about the fact that the gas is delivered on an 18 wheeler and they pull in there.

As far as diesel being more difficult, I suppose it can be at some stations but if I had a diesel I think I would be using the truck stop big truck lanes as much as possible when towing.

I did see a gentleman take a very new looking truck and 5th wheel combo and manage to not think about the trailer taking a inside path to the trucks path and literally ripping the axles off of it on the bollards that protect the gas pumps. This was about 1/2 mile away from a camping world on an exit that has not much else on it. I hope he didn't just get the trailer minutes before.