cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasoline Credit Cards

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I was so smart when I got a BP Credit Card and earned fuel perks. It worked well for several years when we traveled in our motorhome east of the Mississippi. I earned many discounts and free tanks of gas. This winter we traveled from Ohio to Arizona and in my planning I figured we could get 25 free tanks of fuel with the perks we had saved. Since there was a great deal of snow when we left, we went straight south and then started west on I-10. Much to my suprise, I haven't seen a single BP since we crossed the Mississippi River. Is there another credit card out there that can earn fuel that will work all over the country? We plan to return to Arizona again next year and I would like to save on fuel. Your ideas will certainly be appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Flying J - Pilot fuel rewards card. No cost to you at all. You'll get 3 cents per gallon off at the pump, and you can accumulate points towards other things, such as free showers. A free looooonnngggg hotttt shower is wonderful. The major truck stop have nice showers, free towels, etc.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Shell Fuel Rewards card is the best program I have found. Five cents every gallon plus ten cents from using linked credit cards at restaurants or grocery stores. It stacks up so if there's been a bunch of linked spending I have gotten gas for a few cents a gallon. Get .20 -.50 discounts often. It does have the disadvantage of a 20 gallon per transaction limit which is a PITA for a motorhome.

That's in addition to the 5.25% cash back on the Bank of America credit card we pay with.

And Shell is pretty much coast to coast. We buy whatever is cheaper, Shell, Wal-Mart, Costco, or whatever. Use the GS card at FJ too. It's good to have options.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have BP stations here in SW MN and we am west of the river. Does BP have a gas station finder on their website ?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa Cash Rewards Card for fuel purchases. We get a 5% (not 5 cents) cash rebate that's deducted from our balance each month. PenFed CU is open to anyone to join. At Pilot/Flying J stations, we also use our Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card when the pump asks for our loyalty card, for an additional 5 cents per gallon price reduction.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We use our BOA Visa for ALL purchases......cash back rewards on all purchases...

X2

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shell has a fuel rewards card (five cents off) and here in the northeast you get gas points at Stop & Shop grocery stores. 10 points per $100 spent gets you $0.10 off a gallon.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We haven't used a gasoline credit card for many years. We have a citi/Costco Visa card we use for fuel(4%), restaurants(3%) and hotels(3%) plus 2% at Costco. If there is a upcharge for a credit purchase we go elsewhere.
For all other purchases I use a Cabelas Visa card which the cash reward helps pay for our yearly fishing trip to Nebraska.
Don't need or use anything else.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shell has a casrd and Exxon/Mobile (Plenti card) Both can earn credits at "other than gas stations" the Plenti-card works at Bi-Lo Supermarkets.

Both are in South Carolina and GA but Shell's are getting somewhat rare.

Also check with BP... YOu may find there is a "Sister" station here in teh south.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Citi card that gives you 5% back on gasoline purchases.
That's all gas stations everywhere no matter what brand.

I just filled up my 30 gallon truck tank at $2.69 a gallon and paid $80.

The card gives me $4.00 back on that purchase. $.05 per gallon would only be $1.50.

The trick is finding a gas station that charges the same for cash or credit. Generally "Speedway" here in the northeast, but I just hit up a Shell.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use cards that get an immediate discount at the pump. I'm not interested in the "I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today".

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Shell card for quite a few years. used it often. Then, in the past 2 years or so, they closed every Shell station within 20 miles of my house. They then closed my account for "non-use". When I called their customer service, I was told I "could always apply again". What a deal !

Sunoco, Valero, BP, Conoco, EXXON, Gulf, all offer "same as cash (price)" if you use their card at their stations. (Sometimes as much as 9 -10 cents/gallon)

Years ago, I used to have a Texaco card...used it quite a bit...however, in Benson, AZ, I pulled into a Texaco station, pump would not take the card. Was told "we're not the same Texaco". Still don't understand that one.

I can only guess that the folks starting in Texas, (at least on I-10)have (politically conservative) problems with foreign communist governments. (More than the (quite more) liberal east coast) To wit: the CITGO brand....from Venezuela. EVERY (former) CITGO station I took note of, had the CITGO sign covered and another brand showing.

I wrote CITGO about it, suggesting the "political climate" issue, of course, as expected, they denied it...called it "business decisions" and "matters of supply" . My CITGO card expired and they never offered to renew it and I never did. No biggie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Interesting.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use our BOA Visa for ALL purchases......cash back rewards on all purchases that automatically go into our savings account

We also shop at Kroger Stores......accumulate fuel points which we then use at Fry's Fuel Station
( Cala Foods, City Markets, Copps, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Mariano's Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick 'n Save, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
shell and sunoco offer .05c a gallon if you use their card

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
"25 free tanks of fuel"?
Wow. How did you manage to accumulate that kind of reward?

https://clark.com/cars/fuel-costs-and-tips/7-of-the-best-gas-station-loyalty-programs/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
I think Shell has a card but I haven't checked it out so can't give you any details.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy