cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Geo method in very hot weather

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We've successfully used the Geo method (Calgon, detergent, and occasionally Javex) and it's worked well, but this summer has had much longer periods of very high temperatures. Fortunately, there's been no odor inside the Roadtrek, but occasionally the outside smell coming from the vent pipe has been overwhelming :E (One minor problem regarding Calgon is that it's not available in Canada any longer, and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, but that's another issue!)

I recently flushed out the vent pipe to see if it was clear, which it was. We use our Roadtrek for day trips and longer trips, mainly boondocking, and can't always easily get to a dump station.

Do you think that the outside smell is due to limitations of the Geo method in very hot weather? I saw an ad for "Happy Camper" holding tank treatment which apparently works well in extreme heat conditions, but I want to make sure that the horrible outside smell will be eliminated or at least reduced. Or do you think that a vent cap such as the "360 Siphon" would help? Our Roadtrek has no cap at all on the vent pipe.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
22 REPLIES 22

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
I cannot say enough about Happy Camper. There is no detrimental side effects of Happy Camper. It is, I think, sodium percarbonate, and creates hydrogen peroxide when it hits water. This is a powerful oxidizer and helps break down organic matter. I tried the GEO method and still had odor issues. 5 minutes after the first HC treatment the smell was gone, never to return no matter what the weather.

Thanks for the tip. I had intended to try "Happy Camper" but found that the shipping costs were too high. I'm hoping that the McGreen treatment will give similar results. (On-line from Home Depot Canada with free shipping.)
Jerry & Susie

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot say enough about Happy Camper. There is no detrimental side effects of Happy Camper. It is, I think, sodium percarbonate, and creates hydrogen peroxide when it hits water. This is a powerful oxidizer and helps break down organic matter. I tried the GEO method and still had odor issues. 5 minutes after the first HC treatment the smell was gone, never to return no matter what the weather.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who responded. Your replies are appreciated!

I think that the odor problem I discussed in the original post is due to the fact that we "dry camp" a lot as opposed to camping in RV parks. As such, our dumping is less frequent. And, as I mentioned, the summer here has been the hottest on record. Even as we approach the official start of autumn, it's still very hot.

I found a Canadian-made product that I'll be trying soon. I am impressed with their statement: "The naturally derived ingredients are unaffected by hot weather and heavy use and do not lose strength over time. RVM is readily biodegradable, contains no chemicals, bacteria or fragrances. RVM can be safely discharged to dumping stations."

HERE is the link to this product. After I'm able to rinse the tanks and try this treatment, I'll report the results.

Home Depot in Canada sells the product on-line for $10.99 Canadian for a 1 L bottle.

The GEO method is OK, IMHO, for those who are able to dump more frequently and have lots of water available. Given the type of "camping" we do, we're not in that category.
Jerry & Susie

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
punomatic wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
One minor problem regarding Calgon is that it's not available in Canada any longer, and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, but that's another issue!

Can't find Calgon in our town either. I use 20 Mule Team Borax. Works fine.

When I can't find it at Walmart or one of the grocery stores, I'll order it from Amazon.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
One minor problem regarding Calgon is that it's not available in Canada any longer, and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, but that's another issue!

Can't find Calgon in our town either. I use 20 Mule Team Borax. Works fine.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
I use the GEO method but I don't buy Calgon. I find the cheapest water softener I can, be it a powder or liquid. I have been using the powdered softener from Winco in powdered form. I mix it with water to dissolve it before dumping it down the toilet.

Actually, they ARE different. Water softeners basically fall into two different categories:

Precipitating and non-Precipitating.

The Precipitating type, while not harmful, don't do as good a job - and include:

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Raindrops, Blue Due, BORAX, Climalene, Melo, White King Washing Soda, and Borate."

If at all possible, you should use the non-precipitating type like Calgon.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Like others I've used The Geo Method for tank treatment and never have had any tank odour issues regardless of summertime temperatures. Last year a friend mentioned success he'd had with Walex grey and black tank treatments so I've been using it since, again with great success. Since I always service my tanks at home using my FloJet Waste Macerator I can take whatever time I want with this process so I do continue to Geo the tanks during that process, then once cleaned add Walex to the tanks ... no issues with tank odour at all. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I use the GEO method but I don't buy Calgon. I find the cheapest water softener I can, be it a powder or liquid. I have been using the powdered softener from Winco in powdered form. I mix it with water to dissolve it before dumping it down the toilet.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Get an air freshener or two, lysol or febreeze spray, burn some candles.

The OP is talking about the smell coming from the roof vent outside, how does this help?

I'm not in the habit of smelling the pipes on my roof. If the smell were coming in my windows I'd use air freshener or dump the tanks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We use the GEO method quite successfully, but I also keep some PineSol handy and add it to the tanks for odor control.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:

The OP is talking about the smell coming from the roof vent outside, how does this help?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Substitute 20 Mule Team Borax for Calgon. Have used for years as Calgon is hard to get out here in the west boonies!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you've just gotta dump your tanks completely, add about 5-10 gallons and water and a gallon of bleach and take the camper for a good drive so the contents will slosh around real good. Then immediately dump the bleach water, fill the tanks again and rinse out the bleach. Then you'll be good-to-go for a while again.