cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glad we had water on board!

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent stay down in Oregon at Honeyman State Park a situation developed that made us glad we had fresh water on board. We normally travel with some water so we can use the bathroom or wash up when on the road. In this case it was a longer trip so we brought a bit more even though we would be at full hookup sites the whole time. Glad we did!

On the 3rd day the water was cut off due to a leak in the water main supplying the campground. We shut off the spigot and headed out for the day to see the sights. When we came back they were unloading honeybuckets all around the campground for people to use because the water was still off. I've never been so glad to have water in the tank! The water ended up getting turned back on later that afternoon, but it was probably off for a good 8+ hours.

I'll always be sure we have at least 20 gallons or so from now on!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch
34 REPLIES 34

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the parks I stay in.. I got there for a short stay with about 1/3-2/3 tank and found out they had serious water issues.. No problem, I used no water.

WHen I show up there now I'm carrying over 90 gallons (I hold 80, yup, couple of bottles inside the rig) Last trip I got out with like 1 QT in the tank.

I Try to keep at least 1/3 tank just in cuss.. We have needed it a few times. Same as you (in fact they had a main break at my winter quarters last winter).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove home from Florida and didn't realize I had so much fresh water in the tank. Didn't notice until I dumped it in my driveway. Didn't make any difference in mileage best I could tell.

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with water because you never know what will happen. We blew a water hose off our diesel in the middle of nowhere. I was able to fix it and refill the radiator from the onboard tank. Other wise I would have been waiting for help.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rightyouareken wrote:
On a recent stay down in Oregon at Honeyman State Park a situation developed that made us glad we had fresh water on board. We normally travel with some water so we can use the bathroom or wash up when on the road. In this case it was a longer trip so we brought a bit more even though we would be at full hookup sites the whole time. Glad we did!

On the 3rd day the water was cut off due to a leak in the water main supplying the campground. We shut off the spigot and headed out for the day to see the sights. When we came back they were unloading honeybuckets all around the campground for people to use because the water was still off. I've never been so glad to have water in the tank! The water ended up getting turned back on later that afternoon, but it was probably off for a good 8+ hours.

I'll always be sure we have at least 20 gallons or so from now on!

we always travel with a full/nerly full fresh water tank (65-75 gal). had an experience similar to yours out in Carlsbad, nm one year. pulled into a cg late at night only to discover the cg water system was contaminated with e-coli. ever since then we've traveled with a full tank. be prepared.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to travel virtually empty except for what is necessary for in route use. Two situations have caused a change in plans. One was as the OP indicated when the park water goes out. Happened at our favorite / local state park. Second was we have been to several CG's where the water was just awful in regards to taste and smell. So we now carry a good bit of water and taste and smell the water at unknown sites before hooking up the water.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Greentow wrote:
Ependydad, I think that you mileage difference over the next 5,000 miles is going to be down .005 MPG. This is just a SWAG, not backed up with any substantial basis:D

Aww dang it. Now I have to go without water. ๐Ÿ˜„
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It has always amazed me how many people use only a part of the rv they purchased for one reason or another.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Way to go, but don't haul a full tank around, that cost big $$ in fuel.

I used to feel the same way, but I carry a full tank of water (30 gallons)quite often and have had no change in my fuel costs from when I travel with the tank empty. At 8.34lbs per gallon x 30 gallons it only like having another person (albeit it a large person) in the truck.

But that's just my own experience.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always travel with at least a few days worth onboard. We rarely make reservations so we need to be prepared for whatever has to be dealt with.

Don't believe that the added weight makes much difference to MPG, at least not on the level. Once the weight is moving it does not take much to keep it going. I'd be more concerned with speed & wind resistance.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Greentow wrote:
Ependydad, I think that you mileage difference over the next 5,000 miles is going to be down .005 MPG. This is just a SWAG, not backed up with any substantial basis:D

Exactly , I travel with full tanks each and every trip.
The weight has no measurable effect on my MPG's.

I prefer a full tank because a 1/2 tank allows the water to slosh around in the tank putting more stress on the tank and the support brackets. I also believe their is less risk of mold growth in a totally full tank vs. a empty or partially full tank.Honestly my theories have no credible basis but I'm sticking to them. I have has no issues with my fresh water system thus far.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE always travel with 1/3 tank.
Got caught ONCE and had just enough water on board until water service was restored.
After that I always fill tank upon arrival and then we use most of it up just before travel day.

As for the impact on mileage.......I don't notice any difference between traveling with a full or empty tank.
70 gallons of water vs 13'4" 5'vr @ 14K.....the frontal area has more resistance at speed than the overall weight.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing if this is real or not. My camper came in weighing at 14,820 pounds at the last scale stop. I figure I had 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank of water in it (14-21 gallons of water). So, if I topped off the tank, I'd be adding 175 - 234 pounds. Would I really see a noticeable different in fuel economy by going going to 15,054 pounds?

(Edited for typos; no numbers changed.)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:

That may be true depending on the type of rv. On my fiver I see no difference whether full or empty. I believe the frontal area of mine is the biggest fuel eater but nothing I can do about that. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have such good quality water at home (in the top five nationwide) we always leave home with the tank close to full - just enough short of full to avoid any siphoning out of the overflow. I don't see that 600 pounds additional payload on a 22,000 pound GVW rig that isn't close to its max, is going to make a significant difference in gas mileage.

Even if it costs 0.1 mpg, it's worth it to avoid drinking some of the skanky city water we've encountered. We usually fill a Brita jug from the potable tank when we aren't on city water at the CG, or turn the city water off temporarily to get drinking water from the tank.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)