cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are on a citronella thread, I picked up one of the Coleman citronella candles in a can last year since it packs so small in our small slide in camper. A bit pricy for how long they last but it fits. I then bought one of the cheap bucket citronella candles (probably 3-4 times the wax for a couple of dollars) and now every so often, before a trip, I put a few spoon fulls of cheap wax in the Coleman can before a trip and it melts smooth the first time we use it.

Jim...

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have asked the mods several times to put this as a sticky at the beginning of General RVing but I guess it is not possible. At one time I almost thought that they would but....

I love that hint about putting lids in an accordion file!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
ackjay wrote:
Not sure if this qualifies for what you are wanting, but I got tired of destroying my tiki torches each year because I couldn't get them in the ground. While camping one time, I noticed that someone had come up with something better. Simple design. Take a small bucket(citronella candle is what I used), place some PVC pipe in and pour some concrete in and let it harden. They will blow over in the wind, but you never tear'em up trying to get them in the ground. Here's what the finished product looks like:

I just bring along an old 1ยฝ spade bit. I have my drill driver for the stabs anyway. I just drill a hole into the ground and they will slide right in. you don't have to go that deep. Prior to that I used a 1x2 steak with a point on the end. and just pound that into the ground to make a "pilot hole".
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

mdock2
Explorer
Explorer
sask66 wrote:
This should probably be at the front of this topic but here's a way to easily save all the great ideas that everyone comes up with. Create a desk top folder on your computer. i.e ()rv. stuff and add the ideas to it each time you come accross one you can use. Beats writing them down or forgetting.

good tip
Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

sask66
Explorer
Explorer
This should probably be at the front of this topic but here's a way to easily save all the great ideas that everyone comes up with. Create a desk top folder on your computer. i.e ()rv. stuff and add the ideas to it each time you come accross one you can use. Beats writing them down or forgetting.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I use an accordion file (from an office supply store) to store plastic lids from tupperware, etc. It keeps them neat and fits in most cupboards. I was able to store an entire "shelf" full of plastic lids in 8" of space. And they don't slide all over. I wish storing the bottom containers was as easy.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
kebmw wrote:
I was thinking that we could then burn the cardboard in the campfire if we were careful with it.

Does this sound advisable?

The being careful with it is the hard part. The cardboard I've burned tends to burn into hot patches and then float up in good 3"-6" square pieces. We've melted through tarps in the past.

And probably melted a hole in an awning or two also. I wouldn't use cardboard. Dryer lint works great though.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
kebmw wrote:
I was thinking that we could then burn the cardboard in the campfire if we were careful with it.

The being careful with it is the hard part. The cardboard I've burned tends to burn into hot patches and then float up in good 3"-6" square pieces. We've melted through tarps in the past.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Dynamic_Duo1
Explorer
Explorer
reinita wrote:
We have our TT serviced at the same Camping World where we bought it, and since we've gotten excellent service, we've worked with the same folks for the past few years.

We spent all winter looking through the forum and keeping notes of all the things we wanted to do to our TT. I kept a (long) list on a Google doc.
We don't have the "handy" gene, but I inherited the "I-can=write-a-check-to-make-up-for-it gene," so I called Camping World and spoke with one of their awesome service department people. She helped me think through the pros and cons of several of the items on the list so that I could prioritize.

We ended up with a much-shorter list for what they're going to do for us. She saved us hundreds.

Yeah, I still have a shorter list of things we want to do later on, but the check I'm writing when we pick up the TT is much shorter. (Translation: More money for camping!).

In our case, it's paid to build a relationship with a dealer/service department that has done right by us. And I'm sure it didn't hurt that we brought fresh donuts from a very well known spot the last time we were through. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Another tip that I'm wondering if anyone finds helpful is that on the rv.net board that talks about camping in Canada or the one that talks about campgrounds and state parks, I have been sharing the list of campgrounds we're staying at during longer trips. I do a ton of research before booking (yeah, I also inherited the plan-to-death gene), so hopeful my obsessive behavior helps someone else. I'm even going to share info on sites and places to visit for a trip we researched to death but can't take from Michigan to the Grand Canyon.

Reinita, if your "plan-to-death" gene is like mine, hopefully you see the blessings along with the curse. The term "Bucket List" may not be used by everyone but sure enough everyone has some type of I wish... dream. I find those who plan follow through - and therefore get to express Been there - done it & LOVED it more frequently than the average Joe/Josephine.

• I'm new to the forum, and this thread "Handy Hints, Gadgets, ..." is just what I was wanting to find (wisdom from those who know/learned/witnessed). I've filled a sheet of paper with ideas either I never heard of before or of things I used to remember but forgot. I've read all the 2007 posts and a portion of 2012 - just another 4 years and I'll be caught up:E

EVERYONE, thanks for posting all the helpful info.
  • 2008 Jay Flight 26BH

dannytas
    Explorer
    Explorer
    pigroaster wrote:
    I use a propane torch to light my campfires. Fast and easy with small kindling.

X2. I also bring the "shreddings" from my paper shredder. Kindling on top and light away!! Works great!!!:B
    2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
    1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
    DW-Lynn
    BigDog-Kelley
    LittleDog-Kroozer
    LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

Tvov
    Explorer II
    Explorer II
    kebmw wrote:
    On the subject of campfire starters, I'd like to ask a question:

We often have "fry days" on our trips where a few of the guys have deep fryers and we do chicken wings and other fried things. We usually set up around the cement pad where the picnic tables are. On our last trip I finally noticed how greasy the ground was when we finished cleaning up. I guess because we did it at our campsite last time and we don't always do it at our site. It really bothered me because I realized how this was going to attract ants and leave a not so nice spot for the next camper unless a good rain happens. So I'm determined from now on to bring cardboard to put down under the fryers to help clean this up. I was thinking that we could then burn the cardboard in the campfire if we were careful with it.

Thanks,
    ~Karin

Yes, sounds good, and Thank You for thinking of doing that! You may want to cut up the cardboard into smaller pieces before burning.

I always try to leave our campsite nicer than it was when we first pull up.

RedRocket204
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Wisconsin1 wrote:
    I tried the stuff in the packet but want to make some of my own to make the fire look cool and give the kids a show! Here is the site I found that gives a pretty good list. I will have to practice at home.

Magic

Nice! Thanks for sharing that.
    I love me some land yachting

pigroaster
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I use a propane torch to light my campfires. Fast and easy with small kindling.

WV_Wanderer
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I found that one of those small battery power mattress pumps with the nozzel on makes a damn good little blower to get the kindling roaring hot in no time. You'd be suprised how quick the lunch time fire can be rebuilt for supper with one of these.
    2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7, Auto 6sd, Prodigy 2 brake control,
    Reese dual cam WDH with 1200lb bars.
    2008 28ft Dutchman Classic with 20ft slide.
    2016 25ft.Ventura Sporttrek

Wisconsin1
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I tried the stuff in the packet but want to make some of my own to make the fire look cool and give the kids a show! Here is the site I found that gives a pretty good list. I will have to practice at home.

Magic