cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me understand the flaws with these "features"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple other threads floating around where people are complaining about certain features. These features are available/common in the particular brand I'm looking at right now. I can understand the frustration that might go with having a fridge installed in the slide resulting in constantly running fans. But this seems like it could be easily remedied in a variety of ways. The other feature I thought was pretty clever was the TV that rises out of the counter top. It appears to me that adequate counter space is usually even more rare than adequate storage space. The pop-up TV seems like a great way to solve some of that. I want a TV and my wife wants counter space, but usually not at the same time. Unless it's prone to breaking, what's the beef with this feature?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
33 REPLIES 33

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I agree the Pop UP TV sounds great till you relize that parked it is almost always UP and moving it is down. An overhead tv does not move and you still get shelf space. Either way you loose storage space except with modern Flat Screen TV's you can make it into a cabinet door very easily at the drawing board phase.

Refer in a slide....

I would rather keep the weight in the slide down as much as possible.. I worry about the weight in the slide. More stress on the hardware.

not in our case. I'd say 95 percent or more of the time the TV is down, we just seldom use it. About the only time it is used is if the weather is bad and we are spending some time relaxing inside. We camp 90-120 days each year. This last year we used the TV twice to watch a movie in the evening.

And with the tv down, we have a huge back window to see the outdoors. best of both worlds.

+1 since we do not watch it when moving, putting it down is fine. When stopped it then goes up as needed.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I agree the Pop UP TV sounds great till you relize that parked it is almost always UP and moving it is down. An overhead tv does not move and you still get shelf space. Either way you loose storage space except with modern Flat Screen TV's you can make it into a cabinet door very easily at the drawing board phase.

Refer in a slide....

I would rather keep the weight in the slide down as much as possible.. I worry about the weight in the slide. More stress on the hardware.

not in our case. I'd say 95 percent or more of the time the TV is down, we just seldom use it. About the only time it is used is if the weather is bad and we are spending some time relaxing inside. We camp 90-120 days each year. This last year we used the TV twice to watch a movie in the evening.

And with the tv down, we have a huge back window to see the outdoors. best of both worlds.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
When in our fiver, we read and listen to music as many hours as we watch TV. Why have a big black screen in your face when it's not in use?,

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Refer in a slide....

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
X2 regarding emblethen's comments on the fridge in the slide. It took us an entire year, 1 replacement fridge, 4 different fan configurations and the installation of a curved sheet metal cap at the top of the shaft to get acceptable cooling. We also have dark paint so the wall has tremendous heat gain as well. After three units with roof venting and our current unit with side venting, we noticed an extreme difference in cooling between the two formats. We are currently looking to install a residential unit to get better cooling. As a side note, the manufacturer still has our original fridge in the shop where it has been running for three years at an extremely low temperature that it could never reach when it was in our rig.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design makes a nice popup tv in the Imagine line up. If you're wanting an RK layout this is a pretty slick layout.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2017/travel-trailer/imagine/floorplans/2650rk

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We specifically did not want the TV over the driving area, in the kitchen like some are or having to turn our head 90 degreees to watch or sit in an uncomfortable dinette to watch. The pop up tv solved all issues.the tv is normal eye height, we can sit in a recliner or comfortable couch, and if we are not using it and need the counter space, we store the tv. The cabinet space lost is not an issue to us as we still have cabinets with little in them.

We can use ours siting on the couch while boondocking in a walmart parking lot withe the slides in something we do when traveling.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
tinner12002 wrote:
So your telling us that a frig in a slide is vented different than one in a fixed position...how and why can that be if they are the same frig??

It is not that the refer is built different it is the rig. Through the roof venting in non-slide, the hot air goes close to straight up to get out.
On a slide install the hot air must make a 90 degree bend to get out the slide's side wall.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
My current Coachmen has the fridge mounted in the more conventional manner so the exhaust vent is on the roof of the trailer and as such is not equipped with a fan to draw hot air out, certainly an advantage when dry camping. It's not the fridge but the installation that determines venting methods used.

Lynnmor wrote:
It is the wasted battery power from fans running that is my main objection. If you dry camp in hot weather, that wasted power becomes an issue.

Agree, and yet another good reason for investing in some sort of solar to help offset this "wasted" power running those fans. I'd bet many don't even think of this, probably also don't consider the "wasted" energy also used to power the fridge climate control system which on many models these days can't even be turned off. What a waste of good battery reserve. :M
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
My current Coachmen has the fridge mounted in the more conventional manner so the exhaust vent is on the roof of the trailer and as such is not equipped with a fan to draw hot air out, certainly an advantage when dry camping. It's not the fridge but the installation that determines venting methods used.

It is the wasted battery power from fans running that is my main objection. If you dry camp in hot weather, that wasted power becomes an issue.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
So your telling us that a frig in a slide is vented different than one in a fixed position...how and why can that be if they are the same frig??

The fact it's the same fridge is irrelevant ... my own KZ Spree 240BH had a standard Norcold fridge mounted much lower than is typically the case in order to provide a shelf / television area above the fridge. That in turn meant exhaust venting had to be through the side wall of the trailer rather than the roof which is much more often the case. Since venting hot air out a side wall is less efficient than venting straight up and out the roof of the trailer thermostatically controlled fans are often added to ensure adequate air flow. My current Coachmen has the fridge mounted in the more conventional manner so the exhaust vent is on the roof of the trailer and as such is not equipped with a fan to draw hot air out, certainly an advantage when dry camping. It's not the fridge but the installation that determines venting methods used.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
TV's not really installed in 'kitchen counters'

Sorry to disagree - but the RV I saw was definitely KITCHEN counter with the TV sunken into it - it was about 6" from the kitchen sink and part of the contiguous countertop for the entire kitchen work area. When the TV was lowered, its Corian "cap" sat flush with the rest of the counter.

We were wandering around an RV Show at Daytona - I can't remember which one of the dozens of RVs we went into, had that feature. Bet it gets changed out, though...LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had our current TT for 3 seasons now. It has a fridge in the slide and it has never been a problem and has cooled just fine in over 100F temps. Has the upper vent on the sidewall. Don't know exactly what it has for a fan - have never heard a fan tho. I'd go take a look but the cover is on with at least 6" of snow on it.

For the early production of 2014 KZ Spree 262RKS models, the factory moved the fridge out of the slide and put it beside the entry door. That substantially reduced kitchen counter space. They had so much flak from dealers they ended up putting it back into the slide and has remained there since.

Some have had problems with the fridge in a slide and would never get another. We have the later edition of a 2014 Spree 262RKS and love having the fridge (Norcold) in the slide.