cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CRV

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone use this vehicle as a 4 down TOAD?

Likes? Dislikes?

What fuses need pulled if any?

My father has a 2013 for sale, I am thinking about purchasing it for a TOAD.

Thanks
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
46 REPLIES 46

cire
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 1999 CRV for ten years. Great tow except they had a weak transmission requiring me to have it rebuilt twice in 260k miles. I just bought a 2014 after I learned that the 2015 on will not be towable.

To avoid pulling the fuse I purchased the following items and installed a switch in the blank position between the TPS monitoring button and the vechicle stablity button on the left side of the steering wheel:
1. An "add a fuse/circuit" from Autozone.
2. A pack of 7.5 amp fuses to fit the add a fuse.
3. A "31302 Valmar" illuminated (not used) 2 position rocker switch (Exact fit in the blank switch space. (Ebay)

These parts cost less than $20. If your slightly handy you can figure out what to do with these parts. If your not, just purchase the Roadmaster switch for this application. $$
Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 14' Honda CRV

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We chose a 2014 CRV because it is towable (2015 is not) and light (3300-3400lbs). In setting it up, we installed the following:
1. Blue Ox Avail tow bar because it is not supposed to bind as much when unhooking.
2. Battery disconnect switch (fuse master). I am to old to get down on my back to pull a fuse as the owners manual says to do.
3. SMI stay-in-play duo braking system. It is permanently mounted in the CRV. We just plug in Chord between the RV and the CRV, toggle a couple of switches in the CRV and go. It needs both deceleration and brake lights to activate.
4. Brake indicator light in the RV cab so we can tell when TOAD braking is being applied.

Our short experience using the CRV has been good. We use the CRV as one of our primary cars when it is not being towed.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Just remember that anything with memory will be wiped. Your car engine will run rough for a while till it re-learns its computer settings. It will start off in "limp home" mode till you have driven a ways.

Have not noticed the "limp home" mode.

Norm

That makes two of us that has not seen my coach limp home mode and I turn both switches off when stored for four months.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
AGC wrote:
Are all CRV towable. I'm thinking of buying a 2007 CRV AWD

Yes up to the 2014 model. The 2015 is not towable.

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
Are all CRV towable. I'm thinking of buying a 2007 CRV AWD

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Curious, I use battery cut-offs on both chassis and house batteries when the MH is in storage--up to 4 months--and have not seen any any effects on radio, engine or transmission.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Just remember that anything with memory will be wiped. Your car engine will run rough for a while till it re-learns its computer settings. It will start off in "limp home" mode till you have driven a ways.

Have not noticed the "limp home" mode.

Norm
F1BNorm

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredBob wrote:
Just bought a '13 CRV to replace my Saturn Vue. I have a ReadyBrute tow bar and braking system, so don't need 12v while towing. Any reason I can't just install a simple shut-off switch on the battery--off while towing, on while running? A lot easier than pulling a fuse or running a switch for the fuse and no worries about battery running down.

My '09 is set-up with a battery shut off. In hindsight I wish I had installed a six prong plug and added a 12v charge line. Disconnecting the batt means resetting the clock and entering the radio code ( no nav on mine). Presets on radio do not change.

Norm
F1BNorm

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a '13 CRV to replace my Saturn Vue. I have a ReadyBrute tow bar and braking system, so don't need 12v while towing. Any reason I can't just install a simple shut-off switch on the battery--off while towing, on while running? A lot easier than pulling a fuse or running a switch for the fuse and no worries about battery running down.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
Have an 03 with 94K on it and love it
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
They should have some new 2014s left in stock at good prices.
Bill

I agree. My local dealer has 6 or 8 of them yet.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfskeet wrote:
Glad to see so many positives for the CR=V's. We traded in our fifth wheel last fall and got a class A 2015. Going out tomorrow to see a dealer that has a few 2011 to 2013 CRV's on lot. Spent winter narrowing it down to CRV and a Equinox. Just got to see where the best deal falls.

They should have some new 2014s left in stock at good prices.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see so many positives for the CR=V's. We traded in our fifth wheel last fall and got a class A 2015. Going out tomorrow to see a dealer that has a few 2011 to 2013 CRV's on lot. Spent winter narrowing it down to CRV and a Equinox. Just got to see where the best deal falls.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad