cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydraulically actuated brake controller?

80R100RT
Explorer
Explorer
Being somewhat obsolete myself, I found a NOS hydraulically actuated brake controller at a small town auto parts store. I have had them before on older vehicles and they work quite well. I have a '97 D2500 CTD and wonder if anyone knows whether the controller can work with the brake system on my truck? Thanks in advance....
1997 Dodge D2500 CTD 300,000 plus miles
1998 Prowler 275LE 5th Wheel
1975 Honda Trail90
12 REPLIES 12

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Yellermanx wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Your really not supposed to use those with ABS.

Not according Max Brake.

Get the Max Brake. It works Grrrrrreeeeaaaaattttt!!!!

Im not familiar with the system the OP posted, but I dont think you are talking about the same thing as the OP.

MaxBrake will work with a Hydraulic Brake Actuator such as Dexter or Carlisle as advertized. It relies on hydraulic brake pressure (pressure transducer tapped into the MBC) to produce the required 0-12VDC PWM output. The OP is referring to a brake controller that is hydraulically operated.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
I believe they are not for the newer dual braking systems . Your master cylinder has two systems , one for front and one for rear . Also if you have ABS it will not work properly . I to loved dem old hydrolic system but I do not think they have made them for twenty years or so .

My MaxBrake DOES tap into the brake line where it comes out of the master cylinder. A fitting with a short piece of brake line and a Honeywell sensor on the end with a cable that goes to the controller.

Works great!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe they are not for the newer dual braking systems . Your master cylinder has two systems , one for front and one for rear . Also if you have ABS it will not work properly . I to loved dem old hydrolic system but I do not think they have made them for twenty years or so .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
He must have been talking about an old Kelsey Hayes.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is about a hyd actuated controller that needs to be tapped into the hyd brake system. The hyd controller system the OP is about uses no electronics.

The BrakeSmart or MaxBrake system doesn't apply here.
Per MaxBrake:
There is no hydraulic brake line to run into the vehicle cab. As the driver applies the brake pedal, MaxBrakeโ„ข monitors vehicle brake pressure and sends a variable output to the electric trailer brakes. MaxBrakeโ„ข makes your trailer brakes feel like they are attached to your brake pedal. You have complete control over how much or how little to apply the trailer brakes."

I inquired about using a hyd brake controller on a '96 3500 DRW I had in commercial service pulling 28k GCW. Dodge says no as it would not let the trucks ABS system function properly/intermittently or not at all.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yellermanx wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Not according Max Brake.

I installed a MaxBrake on my 11 Ram Dually and it is by far the best brake controller out there.

Imaging driving your truck and doing normal braking, that is how it feels with a MaxBrake you don't know the RV is even behind you, seamless braking.

VERY simple install. Worth every penny.

Yellermanx
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Not according Max Brake.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an old actuator which has a piston moving a potentiometer, than its probably a no-go. The newer ABS systems can be very sensitive to any extra fluid displacement. I'm not sure how much is OK, but its very little on the Ford/Bendix system.

The newer hydraulic actuators use a pressure transducer (like MaxBrake) so there isn't any extra fluid displacement, making it compatible with ABS.

Also keep in mind than most older brake controllers won't work with trailer disc brakes, which are slowly making their way into the market. Some of the new high-end fivers now have them, and they are becoming a more common aftermarket upgrade.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one when looking for a new off roader and found a Jeep Grand Wagoneer which
had a twist connection for the trailer brakes

It was hydraulic and assumed a new line from the MC all the way back to the rear
bumper

Passed, as could see how air would be introduced into the brake lines...if the
one you found is of that type

I'd pass
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You will need an adaptor to hook into the master cylinder on the truck. It's basically a Tee but they seemed to be specific to the make of the truck (maybe due to different threads or location obstacles).

I still have one on my 1986 chevy 2500 I used to tow our 5th wheel with. Discovered that eventhough it showed good voltage coming out of the 7pin plug it didn't work as well as the DrawTite electronic controller on my new truck. I have much better braking with the electronic controller over the hydraulic controller.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not. Most newer vehicles have smaller hydraulic oil reservoirs than old trucks