cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I Wish I Could Have Put Her On A Leash

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just returned from a little coastal camping trip. On our last evening there a family of three pulls in next to us. Older couple with a teenager. At first I was really impressed at how the teenage boy was basically doing all the unhooking and setup of the trailer. Dad was very friendly. After setting up they left, I assume to go get some dinner. Upon their return mom put dog on a leash and walked him in an open area just across the road from our sites. I was so shocked at what transpired next I really didn't know how to react. She kept yelling at the dog to poop. If the dog walked to end of leash she would yank extremely hard on it and yell "I told you to poop". At one point she yanked him back close to her and gave him a little kick (not real hard but a kick) and yelled again for him to poop. She then started yelling at him that if he didn't poop he was going to be in trouble. Well from what I could see he already was. Eventually he did go and she did pick it up. She didn't bother praising him, actually almost acted pissed off that she now had to clean up after him. Thankfully she went back to their trailer and went inside. Fortunately they all stayed inside all night.

I couldn't help but think I wish I could put her on a leash and yank her around and tell her to poop on command and maybe even give her a kick. Lady if you are on here and read this, that is no way to train or treat a dog. I think I know why the boy was so obedient though. The more I thought about it I realized he was acting more like the scared dog than just a well behaved teenager.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas
27 REPLIES 27

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigcitypopo wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Intolerable.

But, it makes me wonder how she treats her son.

And then her husband.

b

I agree.... But here is a funny story. All of my animals are/were trained to go potty on command. Now mind you it was never done before a walk of sorts. It's all part of the routine.

I'm walking my Shepard... She is a working dog mind you.. My son is with me.. We go for a walk. I tell her to "go potty" she squats.. Pees. I look over. My 4yr old son is taking a leak out in the open middle of lawn. He said.. "Dad, I went too!" I still belly laugh to this day.

Thanks for the laugh.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
With our dogs constantly tellimg them to gp pee is a distraction. Every time you say it, they stop sniffing and look at you like what do you want? I'm trying to pee here. Then they start looking for a spot again. lol
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some people that can or should own dogs. Then there are the ones that have no business owning any sort of pet animal.

I will let you know that on occasion I will have to tug Abby back and tell her to "go potty". She gets distracted by all of the neat smells and sights and needs a gentle reminder.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Intolerable.

And then her husband.

b

I agree.... But here is a funny story. All of my animals are/were trained to go potty on command. Now mind you it was never done before a walk of sorts. It's all part of the routine.

I'm walking my Shepard... She is a working dog mind you.. My son is with me.. We go for a walk. I tell her to "go potty" she squats.. Pees. I look over. My 4yr old son is taking a leak out in the open middle of lawn. He said.. "Dad, I went too!" I still belly laugh to this day.
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I have found in my long life experience with dogs and travel that they are just like us; they go only when they feel the need. Sadly they depend on us to recognize when they need to go and cannot be forced or programmed like this idiot the OP described.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Take a video with your cell phone and when asked what you are doing, tell them you are making a video for you tube.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I don't stay quiet when I witness abuse......animal/child/human.

I just don't tolerate it....period.

That lady would have gotten a 'shout-out' first time she did the yanking bit.

Open abuse occurs when folks turn a blind eye to it

x2 Some people don't desire to have animals. I would have done what is necessary to have the animal removed from that atmosphere promptly.:(
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Had that happen once. Saw a dog being kicked so I yelled out real loud for them to stop kicking the dog or I would call the cops. Lots of people heard me and the dog appeared to get treated pretty nice after that.

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
oops
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Intolerable.

And then her husband.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You know what they say, "you can make a horse drink, but you can't make him water".

:R

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I realize that a dog can be trained to know when it is time to do what needs to be done. I have done that with mine as well as others. What this lady was doing might eventually get the desired results however it is also a way to ruin the animal.

I appreciate those of you who said you would have said or done something. I was extremely tempted however sometimes one has to weigh the consequences. In this case what I and some others would consider abuse in my opinion did not rise to the degree that would allow one to intervene. The only thing that would have accomplished would have been a confrontation in which I would have technically been the aggressor. Often times it is the person with good intentions intervening that ends up paying the price. Right or wrong I had to make that decision at the moment.

My wife was inside when this occurred and did not witness it. As we were walking our own dog a short while after I relayed the incident. I almost had to put a leash on her to keep her from having a confrontation that I am certain would have turned out badly. The following morning as we were getting ready to leave we did see the young man come out with the dog on a leash. He came across the corner of our site and my wife was there so she said hi to him and the dog. He was a little shy but friendly and allowed to dog to approach to her. The dog was more at ease on the leash with him and obviously was receptive to her attention. Just as the dog was almost within reach the window of their trailer opened and the woman called to the young man. Immediately the dog cowered and the young man's demeanor also changed. Their reaction just reinforced my initial opinion of this woman. I did have it in mind to at least make my opinion known before we left. As I was finishing hooking up my trailer however they all got into their truck and left. I did not even notice they were gone until I came around the corner.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Australian Shepherd and when we were going through training with her the instructor told us to have a potty command. She said if we had one it would make walking her in the rain or cold a bit easier. If it is raining or cold and I don't want to be outside long I tell her to "go now" and that is her queue to take care of business. But she was taught that through loads of repartition and praise. It sure is nice to use when raining.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, society is being overrun by idiots.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL