Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you want to sell your RV....

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOU HAVE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

Spotted a 2004 "Travel Lite" for sale on RVTrader. Only a few pictures, not much information. I deduced that it must be a TRAIL-LITE, from the appearance. So I emailed the private party seller through RVTrader, and politely asked 6 specific questions, regarding basic things like age of tires, use by a smoker, generator hours, TV type (if any), how it had been stored, if seller was the original owner, etc.

Seller replied back and answered only ONE question, saying they bought the RV in 2010.

Now this seller is about 900 miles from me, but it might be worth a trip to look at the RV if I could get some more info.

But that doesn't seem likely. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I understand these might be considered nit-picking questions by some sellers, but one short sentence in reply to questions doesn't make me want to make a trip of any distance to look at it.

BTW, it's a 2004 R-Vision M213.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
16 REPLIES 16

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
900 miles to "look" at a RV. You got to be kidding.

X2. Unless that was the last unit of that model and you absolutely had to have it, why would you waste the time and money?

And......why would you start this thread?????..:@

~

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
The thing that caught my attention about this unit is that is exactly the size/layout I would like to have, it's relatively low mileage but not super-low, and it appears to be clean and in good condition, from the pics there are. I even like the interior colors.

The price is lower than very similar units, I assume because it's a private seller. Low enough that it would be reasonable to buy a ticket to go look at it, IF I had good information before going.

Then I'd do as suggested and email him for a phone number-ask if we can chat about the RV. Give him a call and see if your questions are answered then. 900 miles is a long way, but if it is rare unit it may be worth it to you. Sometimes difficult sellers (due to attitude, poor communication skills, location, etc) turn off so many buyers that someone who makes the effort gets a good deal.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Some people are just terrible communicators. If this is really what you want invest in another email or even a phone call. Resend the orignal email adding that you are serious about buying but need answers before taking a 900 mile trip.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
Although we ultimately bought new, when we first started shopping for a Class C, we looked at used units. We poured over tons of ads and ignored any where all of your questions weren't addressed in the ad.

I would pass on that RV. If you are having this much trouble just getting your questions answered, I can't imagine things are going to get better.

-Michael

That's what I decided, too.

The thing that caught my attention about this unit is that is exactly the size/layout I would like to have, it's relatively low mileage but not super-low, and it appears to be clean and in good condition, from the pics there are. I even like the interior colors.

The price is lower than very similar units, I assume because it's a private seller. Low enough that it would be reasonable to buy a ticket to go look at it, IF I had good information before going.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Although we ultimately bought new, when we first started shopping for a Class C, we looked at used units. We poured over tons of ads and ignored any where all of your questions weren't addressed in the ad.

I would pass on that RV. If you are having this much trouble just getting your questions answered, I can't imagine things are going to get better.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't answer the questions about the age of the tires, hours on the generator or the TV type, and I bought my 'C' new. I'd have to go look at it where I keep it and get back to you.
While I did that, I'd like to know if you're just comparison shopping for a better deal, or if you work for a dealer looking to buy wholesale and sell retail.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I have purchased vehicles at even longer distances. However it involves a lot of questions answered and lots of pictures.

My philosophy is that a quality ad that covers all bases means very few questions are needed.

I absolutely hate the turn that communication has taken since texting has become popular. It is sometimes like pulling teeth to convince someone to engage in what used to be considered normal communication.

One of the great things about this forum is that text-speak is frowned upon and most people here communicate in complete sentences.

When I listed my class A on ebay, the only question I got was would I take less than my asking price. Within 3 weeks, sold the unit for just under my asking price.

Ray

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
It could also be someone, like a widow or a friend trying to sell a family member or friends RV and doesn't know much about it. You know, there are still telephones out there. Not everything has to be done by email. How about asking them for a phone number so you can talk in person, ask your questions and get a feel for the seller.

X2

Ray

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
It could also be someone, like a widow or a friend trying to sell a family member or friends RV and doesn't know much about it. You know, there are still telephones out there. Not everything has to be done by email. How about asking them for a phone number so you can talk in person, ask your questions and get a feel for the seller.

Seller replied back and answered only ONE question, saying they bought the RV in 2010.

I prefer the phone...sometimes it takes a week or longer to buy or sell something because people are to dumb to call even tho I put my number in each e mail
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you can cross that unit off your list.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Just guessing but, it was probably used by a smoker and the seller knows you won't look at it if that is the case.

They are NOT nit picking questions. They are basic questions any RV buyer should ask.

I would continue my search and forget this unit.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased vehicles at even longer distances. However it involves a lot of questions answered and lots of pictures.

My philosophy is that a quality ad that covers all bases means very few questions are needed.

I absolutely hate the turn that communication has taken since texting has become popular. It is sometimes like pulling teeth to convince someone to engage in what used to be considered normal communication.

One of the great things about this forum is that text-speak is frowned upon and most people here communicate in complete sentences.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
900 miles to "look" at a RV. You got to be kidding.

X2. Unless that was the last unit of that model and you absolutely had to have it, why would you waste the time and money?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]