cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal GPS mounting

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Was stopped by a Arizona Highway Patrol officer for having my GPS mounted on the middle of the windshield. Was told that it was only allowed on the windshield in the bottom right or left lower corner. Luckily only got a warning,
What is funny is it illegal to mount your GPS in the center of your windshield in Arizona but it is not illegal to text while driving.

GPS mounting by state
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen
114 REPLIES 114

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
The cops use "picayune ship" like this to justify otherwise illegal fishing expeditions. The fact that so many on this thread meekly endure this infringement of their 4th amendment rights illustrates how far we've slipped.

I may get stopped but feel certain no one is going to get a look around inside my truck while my dog is inside.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the Motor Homes full view through the windshields are blocked in some manner by their low hanging front Cabinets and Televisions. They block the ability to see the top frame of the windshield thus violating various state laws.... however there are exemptions for such manufactured vehicles.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I never knew that in Connecticut windshield mounted GPS is illegal. Basically everyone I know with GPS here in CT mounts it on the windshield just below the rear view mirror. Same with everyones EZPass -- just below rear view mirror.

I'll ask one of the local PD about it at the next car accident... which will probably be caused by cell phone use while driving...

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
The cops use "picayune ship" like this to justify otherwise illegal fishing expeditions. The fact that so many on this thread meekly endure this infringement of their 4th amendment rights illustrates how far we've slipped.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose using the sun visors are illegal since they block your view, mine is mounted right next to the rear view mirror, flip the visor down and it hides the gps from me

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Been instructed that here in Texas on big trucks that GPS receivers must be mounted outside of the windshield wiper sweep and no more than six inches from glass frame. My CB is within this range. Some drivers I know keep the GPS next to CB. On the latest truck I'll try to mount to a board to hang from near roof. Still close enough to manipulate, but completely off of view through glass.

I use both a beanbag mount and a separate articulated arm to mount my 7" Garmin so that it drapes down over the dash on my Peterbilt. The top of it is, in my line of sight, just below the front edge of the hood. Even then I've had personnel at state scales come out to view whether or not my view is obstructed.

I use it in my pickup the sane way. I also use a tablet holder for the iPhone that suction cup mounts along side the A-pillar. Sits on the dash edge at the door, roughly. As I sit quite high, it works well.

I'd say be willing to spend on mounts. I have $80 in the first mount and $40 in the second.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Good, obstructing you view is a bad idea
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

funpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I live in a state where one cannot mount a GPS to the front windshield and have done so for years and have not been stopped. However, after reading this thread, I ordered a dash mount from Rand McNally that will be $8.00 when I include tax and shipping. (I have their GoodSam GPS.)I know some others have said that that might still not fully comply, but it is so cheap I am going to give it a try.

http://store.randmcnally.com/gps-dash-mount-disc.html

I vaguely remember that this dash mount may have been included with their GPS but cannot find it ...

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Garmin GPS and thinking about purchasing a Tom Tom. I thought about mounting all 3 on my windshield. 1 on left drives side, 1 on right drivers side, and 1 in the middle windshield below the mirror. Think I will have any problem?

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Was stopped by a Arizona Highway Patrol officer for having my GPS mounted on the middle of the windshield. Was told that it was only allowed on the windshield in the bottom right or left lower corner. Luckily only got a warning,
What is funny is it illegal to mount your GPS in the center of your windshield in Arizona but it is not illegal to text while driving.

GPS mounting by state

Glad you brought this up. Many people don't like it and I understand, but the fact is that states have different laws. And you have to abide by those laws when traveling through them. I do find it silly that they expect people to research every state for every thing like this. But it is what it is. Just like triple towing. Legal in some states, but illegal in others. It's part of the "rules of the road" type of thing and you have to check/follow for each state you are traveling through.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read this whole thread. But, I have said before , that you just can not have anything obstructing your vision. You would get a ticket for that around here too.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's OK to mount in a bean bag, which I find obscures the vision of the truck's front corners or I can mount it down around the cup holders which means I take my eyes off the road whenever I glance at it. How is this possibly a good idea ? Makes perfect sense to me.

I am a single and I full time. I need to see the thing. I do not just blindly follow the GPS vocal directions - that's a recipe for disaster. I haven't been in some of these states in 35 years - Every road is new - Every campground/resort is new.

I find that a high windshield mount obscures nothing except low flying Cessnas and is easy to see.

Tim

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Yea, illegal anywhere on the windshield in CA too.

What is ridiculous is if it is physically mounted somewhere else (dash, mirror, overhead) but obscuring the same piece of windshield it is perfectly legal.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a gps on my windshield it's right next to my radar detector and smart phone! Love Sheriff Joe....
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
More NY law--Vehicle laws

From section 12a-"No person
shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent
material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by
law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either
side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat."

That would make EZ Pass mounted lower left illegal - yet it needs to be mounted to work. It's a state enforced fine but EZ pass is not required, although that is changing in some places. I doubt they enforce it but the law should address it.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)