cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is .22mag snake shot enough for moccasins?

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't live (or travel) in moccasin country so I have no experience shooting them. HOWEVER...we have to go to Mississippi to clean out a vacant tenant dwelling owned my my mother-in-law so we can list it for sale. The property is 15 acres with house, barns, sheds, pool and pool equipment bldg. plus a couple of greenhouses. It has been neglected for a couple of years and we have now evicted the tenant.

We have been told by others living in the area that there is trash, debris, etc. all over the property so we know we will encounter snakes and other varmints.

I have been searching for .38/.357 snake shot but cannot find any! I can find 9mm but I don't trust the plastic shells to load properly. I can find lots of .22 mag at Bass Pro so may have to settle for it as it will be in a revolver.

Is .22 mag enough for Mississippi moccasin, copperheads, and rattlers?

Thanks!
61 REPLIES 61

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with pistol shot (any of them) is really need to be within 10 or so feet of the snake. If you are not a proficient shot or scared pistol shot sucks. Get a kids 410 or 20 gauge. A 45 cal revolver that can shot 410 shot works great too, if you have one.

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
When we are doing cleanup work on the farm in eastern VA I usually carry a 4" 38/357 with shot shells and it works well. Also keep a small short barrel 20ga., actually a kids gun, in the pickup and that works well. I wouldn't depend on a .22 shot shell but if you are good enough shot a .22 round will get them. About the only thing we have to deal with are copperheads and they don't move too fast.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Been around rattlesnakes most of my life. Killed most with spades or hoes. Later bought a 410 shotgun called a stage gun. It had double barrels and they were shorter then most 410 shotguns. Really nice and worked great on rattlers. Later I learned about the Judge, and was hoping to get one. quit farming so now I don't have much need.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
May have to shop the Internet. I have bee looking for some .22 shot loads, for a friend. They are scarce. the .38s or .357 shot shells work better. A shotgun will do it but you have to be several feet away, unless you get him center with the shot load, still all together.
I've use .22s but not .22 magnum. does a good job on mice, in out buildings but snakes?
Never shot a Moccasin nor Rattler with .22. I've seen more than on Rattler get run over by a car.It's like hitting a big stick, and crawl away.
They or some ,of them may die later.
A .410 is handy. One, of the handguns that handle .410s seems like might be a right fine idea.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Snake shot on a .22 is a joke, it's the consistency of course pepper. When I was helping my dad clear his property I carried .38 bird shot (much larger) in a S&W .357 #686 and it worked fine the two times I used it.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason a .22 will not work, is because the person using it......missed. :B
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
For a small fee I could rent you my cat. She likes killing snakes.
charles weidman

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
A shotgun would seem overkill to me. Any center fire pistol shot round should work. When I was younger I did a lot of survey work in the boonies and stumbled over a lot of rattlers pushing through the brush. If they were close enough to be a threat I shot them with a 22 revolver with LR's. Of course you need a head shot.Shot's the best option if there's any development around, but I have reservations about 22 shot.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Almost any firearm will kill a snake. My first choice would be a shotgun, but its up to you. Any firearm but a shotgun needs careful aiming.

yep anything from a 20 gauge on up.
bumpy

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Almost any of the revolvers that shoot 410 ga will work great. No need to get the 3 inch shells, 2.5" is plenty.

There's the Taurus "Judge" /"Public Defender"

and the S&W "Governor"

but stay away from the "Politician". They don't work and you can't get rid of them.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
410 or 12 ga. with bird shot, #8. Cotton Mouth will be aggressive
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
.22 shot shells are pretty worthless, even our misqutoes laugh at them. They do make birdshot for .44 mags also. That's a lot better, but I'm sure you're trying to find something for a gun you already have.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I killed a 4' rattler with .38 shot, plus a few other snakes. If I had it to do over again I would go for the .410 judge. I wouldn't want .22, it just seems too small.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Long handle heavy wild fire hoe or a .410.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Where in Miss.?