cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there DC wiring for a fan in my ceiling vent?

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco fifth wheel. In the center of the bedroom is a roof vent. Lately we have been doing a lot of dry camping and would like to put a Fantastic fan in that roof vent. Does anyone know if there is DC wiring there or only AC wiring for a possible 2nd air conditioning unit? Thanks in advance.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs
11 REPLIES 11

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Probably easiest to tie into a light if there is one close enough. That is what I did.

greatwhitenort1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Technically Ozlander is correct. A transformers as a component is strictly an AC device - by itself it cannot provide DC. The "transformer" that plugs into the wall and provides some DC has a rectifier circuit after it to create minimal DC. So it is considerably more than just a "transformer".
The term has been turned into slang to describe what is really much more.

Who cares how it does it, bottom line is it does!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Technically Ozlander is correct. A transformers as a component is strictly an AC device - by itself it cannot provide DC. The "transformer" that plugs into the wall and provides some DC has a rectifier circuit after it to create minimal DC. So it is considerably more than just a "transformer".
The term has been turned into slang to describe what is really much more.

greatwhitenort1
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Dr Quick wrote:

If there is a wire up there, about the only things that you might be able to do are, get a small 12 volt DC transformer rated for fan size and conceal it some ware near fan.

I don't believe that DC tranformers have been invented yet.

Inset foot in mouth here,lol

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a google search for a 12VDC Transformer and got an image of one of these...

Must be true - I read that on Google too...

My fifth wheel has ceiling cabinets mounted just inches away from where my fantastic fan is mounted in the bedroom. It would be real easy to route some 12VDC from the DC lights mounts mounted under this ceiling cabinet if yours doesn't any wiring there....

We love our Fantastic fan... Great for turning on low at night pulling in cool night air from cracked windows in other parts of the trailers... With the vent cover you can also just open it enough to activate the fan and this will keep rain from getting in until you close it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The way I did my Fantastic fan was to install it in the bathroom in place of the cheap ineffective fan there. When I want air in the bedroom I open the roof vent and run the bath fan in exhaust mode. That brings in cool air where I want it. The same can be done anywhere else you want to bring in outside air.
As for a DC transformer yes they exist in a manner of speaking. You have them all over your house for ipods printers and many do have 12 dc outputs. Go to your local Salvation Army store as they usually have a rack full of these devices cheap. Look for a 12 DC with the amp rating you would need.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:

If there is a wire up there, about the only things that you might be able to do are, get a small 12 volt DC transformer rated for fan size and conceal it some ware near fan.

I don't believe that DC tranformers have been invented yet.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a blank plate there close by you might have DC ready, to can get it there from a light circuit. We had a vent in the LR of ours took the trim off and found DC already there. We had wire pre installed from there to the fuse box so putting a Fantastic Vent was easy.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that any electrical service for a second AC would be 120 volt. If there is a wire up there, about the only things that you might be able to do are, get a small 12 volt DC transformer rated for fan size and conceal it some ware near fan. Or if you can trace down where second AC electrical line is located, you might be able to switch it over to the 12 volt side of converter. But if I did this, I would be very careful to mark both ends of the line that it was changed to 12 volts.
Dr Quick

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
Call the mfg and they'll be able to answer your question... You'll need vin # like previously stated...

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect a call to Jayco with your VIN# would get the correct answer.

Jim