cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long trips, how long would the drive take you?

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want to hijack Desert Captain's thread on long distance trip costs so I'm starting another on duration. Looking to drive from Ma. to Yellowstone next summer/fall and am wondering how long those of you who are in no hurry would take for the drive, figure on one way. Thinking about going up through Niagara Falls and Sault Ste. Marie to make it more interesting, about 2300 miles one way. I just retired so have no need to do long days on the road, do you add in layover days?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
40 REPLIES 40

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Race weekends I've done up to 800 miles in an day; way too long.

Now I pretty much like to keep things under 300 miles, we're never in a rush.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
200 to 300 miles per day is a comfortable pace.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We shoot for 250-300 miles a day. fairly often we will push it to 400-450 just because we want to get somewhere. Getting in before dark and setting up makes for a relaxing evening so we are ready to go the next morning.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
259-300 miles per day is all we want any more.
I am done with the marathon drives . IA. TO Calif. in
38 hrs. 1980 miles. And I am not a over the rd. Trucker.
What is the rush especially if you Re retired.
IMO. Just do what feels good to you.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Roughly 200 miles per day, no interstates. We travel the primary federal highways and major state highways. You see more and less stressful.
Sounds like a good trip. We traveled to maine and it took about two months for us at our leisurely pace.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully, Yellowstone will be open by then;). If you are staying in the park, make reservations now...wonder if reservations are open. We went from FL to Yellowstone this past summer...gave ourselves a month to get there as we had planned on a few longer stops along the way. There is so much to see and do on your route. We were in Yellowstone in July and the weather was very nice, but!, if I was to do it again, I would go in late August...
Happy Retirement!!

photonut4
Explorer
Explorer
We generally drive no more than 200-225 miles at a time, and after 2-3 days of driving we take at least a day off. We are full time and in no hurry. Also when driving cross country, we will find places along the way to spend longer periods of time in.

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
We usually drive 200-250 a day or less. We stop if we find something interesting along our route. We also don't usually go in a straight line . If you have the time, take your time. Enjoy the ride, it sometimes is as great as the destination.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
I drove from Ontario to Alberta last year....took 8 days...We drove 400-450 miles per day generally.....Went that northern route that you mentioned......Seems to take forever to get out of Ontario, but a beautiful drive

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was younger we would jump in the truck and go until we see the camp ground sign of where we was heading for.

Now we tend to start out early and drive until around 4PM each day and setup somewhere along the way for the night. Takes longer but we always get a fresh start each day on the trip. Six to eight hours on the road each day is enough for us now...

Even get to smell some roses along the way now...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we drive from ohio to arizona every yr ,about 2400 miles . takes me 5 or 7 days were in no hurry and stop when we want.