cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making an appointment to have tires balanced

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not to start a thread on the viabilities of having tires balanced on a TT but I purchased the tires from Tire Discounters back in 2012. I took my TT back every year to have the tires re-balanced and only once did they have time. My arrival times were first thing in the morning and would have hung around to have it done but they tell me that they are busy with no one available to do it until later.

This year I called asking if they would be able to do the job tomorrow and they replied that they had a full list of appointments and could I leave the TT with them.

Usually I buy my tires for my truck and car at Big O and they get to me within an hour, my contention to leave my TT is two-fold, (1) the place where they want my trailer is where all the delivery trucks come in and out and there is not a lot of room for maneuvering, (2) I do not like leaving it there in the back parking lot while I am not there in the case someone damages it, basically I want to keep on eye on it.

Since this is not a car that is easily parked I am hesitant to leave it there. I sent a note of concern on their website. I basically do not expect them to get me in as their process is what it is. I am tempted to go to another shop and pay extra to just to have it done. Next time I need tires I do plan to shop elsewhere.

I could set up an appointment but it seems that their hours they have available don't match my schedule.

Question:
Where do you go for your tire services for your TT?
What is your in-out experience?
Do you leave your TT at a tire shop while you leave to do something else?
14 REPLIES 14

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Folks posting about Discount Tire vs Tire Discounters is because Discount Tire is better of the 2 different tire places.

For sure. In my city they built at least three of the TD (TireDiscounters) stores near me in quick fashion, seems they are out pacing places like Big O. Maybe next time for TT tires I will check Costco.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only balance tires when I have them originally installed. Never had a issue with uneven ware or vibration.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Easy solution, don't worry about RE balancing them.
Never even heard of this. Only time I've had the same tire balanced more than one is if i swapped tires on the rims or if one was shaking.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks posting about Discount Tire vs Tire Discounters is because Discount Tire is better of the 2 different tire places.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Do what my dad used to do. Get an appointment for first thing in the morning. Get there before they open and park in front of the busiest bay at the store. When they want you to move so they can get someone in the bay ahead of you, tell them you have the first appointment and you ain't moving until you get serviced. And then you wait.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
The rebalancing is free. I am using Tire Discounters, everyone here is using Discount Tires. Same words but in different order. lol.

Well it seems that the majority of the folks that responded do not re-balance tires. All I need to do is to adjust the brakes and head out!!! When I bought the tires I did not make an appointment, I just showed up, bought the tires and they took the money. Now that I have the tires and a current customer I have to get an appointment...:R

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to be sure I was not out in left field.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the rebalancing free?

If so, I would suspect that is your problem. You could try showing up with donuts.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Discount Tire gets my business........one of these days!

I haven't used Discount Tires since 2002 when I got new tires on my previous truck.

When I needed tires for current truck we were traveling and I got tires at local tire shop in town we were in.

Fast forward to this year.
Out running errands for fast road trip following day. Noticed rear tire low.
New Discount Tire shop close by so I stopped in.
They worked me in (30 minutes). Repaired tire (screw in thread) FREE and still had me in their system after 14 yrs.

SO Discount Tire will get my business when I need tires truck/trailer.

For trailer........I would call/make appointment
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had great luck with Discount Tire. Maybe you should call ahead and make an appointment. As in a specific time.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Have never rebalanced TT tires. Lord knows they need it initially.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Discount tire. Use them for balancing, rotating, and air checks whenever I need it done. Always stop on the way out of town on a trip and let them air up the tires. Saves me the work.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Les Schwab has appointments and it's never a problem for anything related to tires, brakes, shocks etc. Trailer or truck, I'm in and out in under an hour. They will take appointments even if you didn't buy your tires there, but it's free if you did buy 'em from LS.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have any tires re-balanced is when I have the tires rotated. I don't rotate the tires on our trailer...thus never have them re-balance. (They were balanced when they were first put on new)

Truck and our cars get re-balanced and rotated every 5K or so.
Costco...NEVER get the, "too busy, can't do it," baloney. Show up, tell them what I want done, go into the store and do our weekly Costco shopping and it's ready when I come out...no charge ever.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I generally use America's Tires. I believe they are related to Discount tire, but I think they are better.

I haven't used them for the trailer, but I use them for all my cars and they honor appointments. You still may have to wait a bit if they are super busy, but the appointment does get you a priority. I don't understand why they would treat you different due to the trailer.