cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain Towing

Safari71
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice on towing in the mountains. I live in western VA and just bought a brand new 1971 Safari Airstream. I currently own a 06 Silverado with a 5.3l engine which is rated at 7,700 lbs. towing capacity. The dry weight of the camper is around 3,680 lbs. I've got no issue pulling on flat but am concerned about towing in mountains. Truck runs great...should I be concerned? Are there tips / tricks someone can provide for towing in mountains?

Finally, which electronic brake controller do you recommend. I want to purchase and put on my truck.

Thanks for all feedback
14 REPLIES 14

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
The '06 Silverado has a 4 spd transmission and doesn't have the tow-haul programming of the newer transmissions. So you have to pay a little more attention -- we had an '05 Suburban, for what its worth. Often, or maybe usually, I would just leave it in "3" for most of the trip, since the engine didn't have power to tow in 4th gear anyway.

Since your trailer is lighter and more aerodynamic than my 6500# box, you might be able to hold 4th gear, especially if you have 4.10 gears. But if it is 'hunting' a lot (ie, shifting between 3 and 4 often), you may be better off just leaving it in 3rd.

Other than that, make sure to use the gears coming down the hills. Downshift as necessary to control your speed. We often shifted down to 2nd, and even 1st on tight windy roads. The last thing you want to do is to be on the brakes too much!

I always try to look ahead and use the yellow recommended corner speed signs. They may be a little slow when not towing, but find them to be usually spot on when I'm towing.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Safari71
Explorer
Explorer
kmbelt wrote:
Does a 1971 AirStream actually have electic brakes where a controller would be used.

They sure do. My friend has a 70 model with electric brakes. I crawled up under my trailer and verified that it does. Even the owners manual shows the wiring for it.

And here is the best feature of all....remember now...1971....on the driver side there are two little lights pointing forward. These are lenses for two fiber optic (yes I said fiber optic) cables that run to the brake lights. When you hit the brakes and they light up you can see this in rearview mirror by looking at these two lenses.

Safari71
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
Are you saying you are now towing without a brake controller and are wondering what to get?

Jim

Correct, I really haven't done much towing yet. Boat trailer has hydraulic brake system so didn't need for that.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Does a 1971 AirStream actually have electic brakes where a controller would be used.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jim-Linda wrote:
Are you saying you are now towing without a brake controller and are wondering what to get?

Jim

What is the point of "going there?" Just give the guy the benefit of the doubt and recommend a brake controller.

I recommend the Prodigy P2 or P3. Either is a plug and play affair with your truck and the correct adapter cable.

Also put a 40A fuse in the "Stud #1" position of the fuse panel under the hood of your truck. That will charge the trailer batteries while you are on the road. There is a dummy fuse in that position now, most likely. It is a special "block" style fuse.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II

Jim

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
I used tow/haul, and manually shifted gears. Be patient, both going up and down hills. Let the engine do the work downhill - not your brakes. Plan ahead and anticipate as you approach steep grades and sharp turns.

Regards to the controller - I've had great results with a Tekonsha Prodigy.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed a 6500-lb travel trailer through the Rockies with a 5.3 half ton Suburban, as high as 9,666 feet (Powder River Pass in WY).

Your axle ratio is going to make a big difference. Mine had the 4.10 axles. 3.73 should be acceptable, 3.42 will likely be problematic, even for a relatively light trailer.

I used tow/haul, and manually shifted gears. Be patient, both going up and down hills. Let the engine do the work downhill - not your brakes. Plan ahead and anticipate as you approach steep grades and sharp turns.

Regards to the controller - I've had great results with a Tekonsha Prodigy.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
What works for me:

Figure out where the power band is for your engine (RPMs). Put the RPMs there at the bottom of the hill, and keep them more-or-less there - this will mean slowing down some as you climb and the TV downshifts, but you'll be surprised how minimal that can be if you stay in the power band.

At the top, don't immediately speed up, let gravity do it for you on the way down. Chances are you'll climb it in 3rd. Leave it in 3rd going back down so that engine friction does some of the work of slowing you down (to avoid using the brakes). If you do have to brake, use a heavy foot and slow down 10 mph below the speed limit, then let gravity work your speed back up again. That will give the brakes time to cool before you have to use them again.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
If your TV does not have "tow package" from the factory you might want to consider adding a transmission cooler (if it's an auto). Make sure all equipment is maintained. Otherwise as others have said slow down. Going down steep grades down shift. Pump the breaks. Enjoy.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in tow haul and don't look back. If the tranny starts hunting in the hills drop it in manual and select the gear level that does the lowest RPM with the least hunting. Your truck shd do just fine. I think you will be about 6000lbs loaded with a TW of about 750lbs.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
On he up hill side, gear down and keep you RPM's up. Down hill I will drop my speed about 10 MPH at top of hill and drop down a gear or 2 as required to let engine help control descent. If speed gets to high, I apply brakes HARD to drop maybe 5 MPH below speed limit. This will let brakes cool if you need them again. NEVER ride you brake.
Have traveled 30K in last 7 years all over the West mountains,and even Virginia and West Virginia mountains and never had a problem.
I have a 5th wheel and use a 40+ year old Hydraulic brake controller. But with a bumper pull I would recommend a good sway control. You can probably find more information on sway control and brake controllers In the RV net.
Dr Quick

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where you live, exactly, but I live in "far" southwest VA and we pulled our 3500 lb 17' long hybrid with a 2001 Chev 1500 with the 5.3L for several years. It wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but it pulled it OK. We would NOT be doing 65 mph when we reached the top of the mountain, but we weren't going 40 mph, either. We would slow down to 50ish on the long, steep grades (like Christiansburg, mile 122).

I have no recommendation on the brake controller because I really don't remember what we had on the truck.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
How did you find a "brand new" 1971?