cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

moving a tow dolly around

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
So wondering what people use to move there tow dollies around their own yard, camp ground etc... I just got an Acme Tow Dolly and wanted to put a wheel on it that flips out of the way but with the surge brake set up there's just no room. I'm looking at a trailer dolly nothing fancy but wanted to know if anyone use them and what they store them when they travel in the MH? I could carry it but their not light and it seems this is a simpler solution but wondering about storing it? and if you do use them which one do you have and have u been satisfy with it?
Thxs
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
7 REPLIES 7

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ACME dolly does not have that much tongue weight. I am in my 60's and when I need to I can move the dolly around easily. Most the cg's I stay in have pull thru's but if they do not I just unhook mine and roll it in first. I then back the coach up to it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can help, to put a trailer hitch on your towed vehicle. Then you can do some of your dolly wrangling with it. But understand, a dolly is a very short trailer, and a short trailer is hard to back with a relatively long vehicle towing it. Our coach came with a dolly. It hooked up well and it towed well, but I was glad to sell it and go back to four-down.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
W/e are very senior citizens and have no issues with our tow dolly. We just put the wheel down and push it out of the way. We have never had to keep it anywhere but in our campsite either. Since we have a 25' Class B+/C- we can leave it attached to the rig if the site is small.lizzie

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a CG tell me I couldn't keep my dolly onsite or charge me extra for it. Most places I don't have any issue with leaving it connected to the MH. If the site is short, then I can usually just unhitch and slide it forward with the tongue of the dolly up under the MH. At home, I have set up my lawn tractor so that I can hiitch the dolly to it to move it around the yard to its storage spot. That is the biggest hassle of having a dolly.

Next vehicle will be 4 down. I feel that would be the better way to go, but if a dolly is what you have it isn't the end of the world. You will need something to help you move it around your yard. Put a hitch on your lawn tractor if you have one, or Harbor Freight sella a "Trailer Dolly" which would simplify moving the tow dolly manually.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little light-weight trailer dolly that I bought at Harbor Freight just to tow the Kar Kaddy dolly around. I changed the nuts on the handle bolts to wing nuts to make it easy to take apart, and I carried it in the basement storage of the motorhome.
We made a trip from Billings, MT to Ringgold, GA and back a couple years ago. Not one campground we stayed at all the way down and back, made us put the dolly in a special parking area. It stayed behind the coach the whole trip.
Since I sold the brakeless Kar Kaddy (really stupid thing to do), I use the little dolly to move my 5X8 ATV trailer around. It works great!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's one of the reasons I'm not in a MH at $111 plus...toad and dolly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly It is one of the drawbacks of using a car dolly vs towing the toad four down.

Most CG's won't let you keep it at your site. And many even make you park it in a designated area. Something to think about, because then you wouldn't need to take a trailer dolly with you.

They are heavy and awkward. I personally have never seen anyone take one with them in their MH.

The only place I could think of storing it is tied to your RV ladder.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.