cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need more help for first cross country trip.

cjmgranny
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
This forum has been great so I am posting again.
Our cross country trip will avoid going thru large cities but we want to make good time between stops. MA to NM. I had thought Rt 70 would be good but just saw online that Rt 70 is a cement two lane road!
Any advice?
Thank you,
Granny.
When we Roam
This is Home
13 REPLIES 13

cjmgranny
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Sorry for the confusion regarding Rt-70.
I am using the Good Sam Travel Planner to chart this trip to Albq NM to visit with family. We will travel from MA thru PA where we have traveled before so we are fine with this part of the trip.
Good Sam then has us take "I-70 west towards Columbus OH" We will camp in Zanesville OH at Wolfies. GS then takes us again onto "I-70 West". We plan to avoid E St Louis IL and St Louis MO (as recommended here) , cross the M. River along Rt 50/I-255/I-270 thru Mehlville MO.
I had looked at a mapquest type photo and it looked like I-70 was a small cement road. I guess I have just gotten used to black top highways here in the east and thought all major highways were like that. I was wrong. Shhh. Don't let my Hubby hear that ๐Ÿ™‚
Anyway. I guess we will stick with I-70. If anyone has a better way to get around ESL IL and SL MO, feel free to let us know.
As always, Thank you!
Cathy/Granny
When we Roam
This is Home

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where everyone got "I-70" from the original post. From the OP mentioning Rt. 70 and NM I can only assume that they are talking about information on US RT. 70 in New Mexico.

We have traveled it twice, once in a 38' FW and last year in a 39' FW. A few grades but not bad and a really nice scenic ride. Ruidoso Downs area and White Sands are places to check out. If you don't want a lot of traffic and a route where there are good clean cheap campgrounds I would travel US RT 70 through part of New Mexico.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey cjmgranny... It would be useful if you could clarify if you're talking about US-70 or I-70. Might get different answers from folks depending on your answer.

Having said this, we've pulled both to the east and the west of Indiana. As a general rule, when heading east, we tend to use the Interstates due to the number of small towns and winding nature of two-lane highways east of Ohio, and especially east of the Appalachians. West, however, is a completely different story. In that case, we really prefer two-lane US highways, avoiding Interstates for the most part. Works well for us...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." - Charles Kuralt

We are travelers and not so much campers. That is why we love getting off the interstates and seeing the country. We drove all the accessible Route 66 between Joplin and Albuquerque. We want to finish the rest some day.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you get to the middle of the country, and certainly west of the Minnesota-Iowa-Missouri-Arkansas-Louisiana tier of states, you will find yourself using a lot of two lane road. We are not blessed with the closely gridded network of freeways and superhighways you have in the east.

In the western parts, most of the two-lane US-numbered highways are in better condition than the Interstates, and are often lightly traveled. However, they do go through towns, and you have to slow down.

The few Interstate highways we have carry very heavy truck traffic (both density and weight of the trucks), most of it at higher speeds than you are accustomed to seeing, and the roads bypass almost everything interesting, going from major city to major city (and there may be only one major city per state).

East of the Mississippi, if you want to make good time it is best to stay on the Interstate, no matter how crowded and beat up they are. This is because the towns here are closer together, the speed limits are lower than they are further west, the roads are older and often narrower, and for much of the year you may encounter slow-moving farm equipment on the highways.

I regularly travel between central Kansas or NE Oklahoma to northern Indiana and south central and southeast Michigan. I routinely use the "two lanes" (which are often four lane divided but not controlled access) until I cross the Mississippi, and then take advantage of the uninterrupted travel on the Interstates, unless I have some stops that are not on the Interstate system, and I allow an extra day for that section of the trip.

If you are concerned that Interstate 70 is only two lanes each direction, once you are outside urban areas they are all two lanes each direction.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
When we head to the SW in the fall we're taking 84W to Scranton, 81S to Hazelton, 80W to Akron, 71S to 70W in Columbus. We'll be going to Denver first but you could take 44S out of St Louis to 40W. I've read where 70 is a good road but boring in the midwest. Tell you next winter.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice about avoiding I 40 in Arkansas and I 70 in Indiana.When we went through Arkansas a few years back,the inverter/fuse box came out of the wall. We were just on I 70 in Indiana last spring.There were alot of pot holes but they had alot of construction too.On our way back from Missouri we took I 64 ( much better road and less traffic.Then picked up I 71 and took that up to I 70.So you can avoid I 40 in Arkansas and I 70 in Indiana by going I 70 to I 71, to I 64 to I 44 and then pick up I 40 in Oklahoma City.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You want to avoid I-70 across Indiana. You'll be beat to death if you travel with a trailer hitched!

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled from NC to NM quite a bit. I will drive way, way out of the way to avoid I-40 in Arkansas (unless you love potholes and lots of road work).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long do you have to get there and get back? That makes a huge difference on which roads to take.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about US 70 in New Mexico it is good four lane with virtually no traffic all the way across the state. Depends on where you are going in New Mexico.

If you are going SW through New Mexico take I-40 to Amarillo, I-27 South to US 60 West, then pick up US 70 West in Clovis.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean US70 you would need to get on I-40 at times going through the mountains in Tennessee.
I would take I-90, I-84, I-81, I-40, at Nashville take Rt 840 back to I-40 to Albuquerque. The cities you will go through are not that bad. Try to time all cities not at rush hour. We go through about 10am. Once you get the route, we can help with stops.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 is an interstate highway and is definitely not a two lane road. Unless you mean two lanes each way which it is in places.
Parts of most interstates are concrete, depending on who the states favorite contractor is. You may have seen online a Rt.70 that is a state highway somewhere but the interstates are good to make time on, I-70 included.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO