cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV’ing need advice

ShoalsChiro
Explorer
Explorer
Let me preface this by saying, my wife and I have never owned a camper/RV before in our lives. We are currently in the process of downsizing our life due to my insurmountable student loan debt. We have three children, all under the age of 6. I don’t know the first place to start when looking for a new rig. I do know we need a bunkhouse. The rig will be set up at a permanent RV Park for the next few years. It seems every time we like a certain brand or model, I google and it’s getting blasted by reviews. Our budget is $55k. Is anyone willing to offer advice as we begin this new journey? Thank you.
43 REPLIES 43

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Buy the time you can fine a place to put it that you can afford, I do not think you will want to raise young children in that environment. Think about them and their future as your number one priority.

Google some parks that you think you might be able to afford and go drive threw them and look at what you see there!

Completely agree!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
You can a get a decent manufactured home for $55000 and find a nice place to put it. In the end you'll be ahead of the game, the family will be more comfortable and you won't take as big as loss when it comes time to sell.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
ShoalsChiro you have gotten some good advice so far.

If you are doing this to "Downsize" please think long and hard before doing it.

Seek out some good financial advice. (Maybe something like Dave Ramsey)

I would not suggest this course of downsizing action to my children.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily suggesting your goals are workable for most people but if you are looking in this direction, some things to consider
Being In Alabama, you WILL need two AC units.
Room for 5 will need a 35+ foot unit preferably with a separate bunkroom.
When planning around location, IF you are going to have to pay the electric bill separate from lot rent, know that it will be high, 2" thick walls and single pane windows are not great at keeping the unit cool.

Not suggesting or promoting this brand or line, but a unit of this or a similar base design would likely be a starting point.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/hideout/floorplans/308bhds-fifth-wheel/

This is an entry level 5er Not a 4 seasons full timer unit.

Good luck

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Might be better to either change carreeers to something that pays better or get a part-time job & get out of debt. Living in a RV with 3 kids won't be any cheaper plus maybe will get really stressful..
If your Wife doesn't work maybe it's time for one to work days and the other on the night shift. Spending money to get out of debt in most cases just leads to more debt.
I am one that never worked in the field of my education, kept doing what I did to get thru school. Never understood going so deep in debt for a career that couldn't pay for itself.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Do pay attention to reviews so you know the weaknesses of various units. Those that have no problems simply are not paying attention. RV's are built cheaply and ALL have issues.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
You are struggling with student loan debt, but you have a budget 55k for a new RV? Whats wrong with this picture?????

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the time you can fine a place to put it that you can afford, I do not think you will want to raise young children in that environment. Think about them and their future as your number one priority.

Google some parks that you think you might be able to afford and go drive threw them and look at what you see there!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
RV ownership is not cheap. You might look into renting a mobile home already set up. Still, not cheap.

And agree with others on the park model jf you really want to go with a more conventional RV.
Would agree with this as well, a mobile home would handle the temperatures better and require a lot less maintenance and give your family more room. A mobile home park would probably be more economical then a rv park as well. Lots of times used units on site and set up go for very little money.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
RV ownership is not cheap. You might look into renting a mobile home already set up. Still, not cheap.

And agree with others on the park model jf you really want to go with a more conventional RV.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the Park/Destination model for more room. Also you don't need a big truck if you're setting it up in an RV park for several years. You can have it delivered cheaply.
RV's are a different breed than a home or renting an apt. Quarterly maintenance will be greater. Mostly inspections of the roof caulking, window caulking, trim caulking, etc. They're also not insulated as well as newer homes. You'll need skirting if you're in an area of the country that gets pretty cold in the winters.
$55K is not much so looking at used ones would be better.
Good luck in your journey. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent a smaller place and use the $55k to pay down part of the debt?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at park models. Way more room, better insulation, real flush toilet, and residential appliances. The RV life is not any cheaper, can be a lot of work, and really cramped. If you went for a trailer, you would prbdbly want to double your budget. Heck a decent crew cab truck could cost 50K. Add a 40 fopt bunk house at another 50K. Well you get the idea. Add park rent at around 500 a month plus gas and electric. Its simply not a real practical solution in an attempt to get out of debt. With any RV your buying a depreciating asset. You would be far better off using that 55K to put down on a house. At least houses appreciate.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the reviews blasting a unit. Those come from people that have had a bad experience. For each one of those there are 1000's of happy owners. You will be stationary so find a floor plan you like and go with it. Just be mindful of the weather and make sure you get a unit that is appropriate for your climate.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control