cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new York propane ban?

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
anyone hear tell that you can no longer buy propane for RVs in new York state? sounds far fetched but you can never tell anymore
32 REPLIES 32

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Really odd setup then...as D&M said, seek propane elsewhere.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

I gave them a nice, freshly painted Blue Rhino tank and they gave me back a rusty, muddy, dented tank.

Tanks that are damaged are supposed to be placed out of service. Seek propane elsewhere.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
I would guess the exchange company convinced him he'd spend less labor on exchanges than refills and make more money in long run...the big tank would still be there for refilling on-board tanks on MHs.

The thing is, there is no exchange company. The campground had all different looking tanks -- beaten-up, Blue Rhino, muddy, rusty. The campground is filling the tanks themselves and storing them full. I gave them a nice, freshly painted Blue Rhino tank and they gave me back a rusty, muddy, dented tank.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Austin, I've gotten a lot of excuses with lazy store employees who didn't want to exchange a 20# bottle. A few of them:

"No DOT certified professional is on duty."
"Do you have a Federal license to possess a propane tank?"
"No employee is permitted to open the propane area. Only AmeriGas/Blue Rhino employees have the cage keys."
"Propane work requires two employees at all times due to the danger involved."

Of course, when I get a lame excuse, I just go a block or two and find someone else at a store who isn't playing games on their iPhone and actually is doing their job.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Maybe the owner got fined when an unattentive employee refilled an out of date tank. Or, maybe the owner has propane disappearing and unaccounted for. There are lots of reasons why a business owner would want to dispense propane himself and not want to be there 24/7 to do it. Simple solution, only do tank exchanges.

The first "NOT" is missing.....
"There are lots of reasons why a business owner would *NOT* want to dispense propane himself and not want to be there....etc."

Same for the employees.

A *cashier* at Home Depot, Lowe's -or any other store-
doesn't need any special training or talent to ring up your purchase - just like he/she does with any other purchase.

No time is lost filling the tank - no risk involved - NO LIABILITY incurred.....etc, etc...:S

Propane filling stations are hard to find in CA also.
Few and far between - as compared to "exchanges" - but they *are* available.

~

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess the exchange company convinced him he'd spend less labor on exchanges than refills and make more money in long run...the big tank would still be there for refilling on-board tanks on MHs.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Maybe the owner got fined when an unattentive employee refilled an out of date tank. Or, maybe the owner has propane disappearing and unaccounted for. There are lots of reasons why a business owner would want to dispense propane himself and not want to be there 24/7 to do it. Simple solution, only do tank exchanges.

Or he answered his own question.

so I said "it's not right to have to pay for 20# when all I need is about 12# -- my tank is about 1/3 full."

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
OK, as I said I would do earlier, I am reporting from a campground in New York. Last year, they filled my tanks, no problem. This year, all they do is swap out tanks -- all sizes.

Bruce

very interesting .... did they say why ? .... a state/local rule ? .... a decision by the CG owner ?

Jim

I asked why, but the girl at the register didn't have a clue. She just said " all we do is swap tanks." When I went to the place where they keep the tanks, right by the huge propane holding tank, I asked the guy (an owner) why they don't refill anymore. He said nothing, so I said "it's not right to have to pay for 20# when all I need is about 12# -- my tank is about 1/3 full." All he said was "it's maybe a little less than 1/3," completely ignoring my original statement. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to remember to fill up in Virginia.

Bruce

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crabbypatty wrote:
I dont know who makes up this gibberish, but Im off to fill up my 30's today. Its also the same dealer that does my bbq tank.....

I could never get both 30's filled at the local Ace Hardware that I used when we lived in Nesconset. They said there was a NYS law that capped non-commercial tank transport at 50#, and that 2-30's was 60#. Carrying them on the TT was OK because it had a special rack, vs loose tanks in the truck. So I had to take them up there one at a time. Never found out if that was really a law or just store policy.

The Costco here does propane refills (not exchanges) and not only is gas plentiful it's darn cheap!

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
OK, as I said I would do earlier, I am reporting from a campground in New York. Last year, they filled my tanks, no problem. This year, all they do is swap out tanks -- all sizes.

Bruce

very interesting .... did they say why ? .... a state/local rule ? .... a decision by the CG owner ?

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
OK, as I said I would do earlier, I am reporting from a campground in New York. Last year, they filled my tanks, no problem. This year, all they do is swap out tanks -- all sizes. I wanted to top-off my 20# tank for the grill just so I would be sure I wouldn't run out -- my tank was 2/3 empty. I asked them to fill it for me and they would only swap it with an already-filled tank. So I ended up paying double for 1/3 of my tank of propane. Now, when they refill that tank, they will not need 20# of propane! but will charge the next guy for 20#.

Bruce

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
NY has so many bad/stupid laws and regulations along with fees and taxes to go with them it is easy to believe these far fetched stories.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely correct Campfire. My propane company is 35 miles from me. I prepay and am on guaranteed delivery. Twice last winter they had no fuel. Once they came out and delivered 18 gallons and another time 45 gallons. That's all they had!

There was a rumor out a few weeks ago that all lawn mowers in NY needed a safety inspection sticker.