Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Generator Compartment Lock

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Fuzion 301 TH

I find it odd the generator compartment is the only compartment or door on this vehicle that has no locking method; just two thumb screw type latches.

Is that normal to leave one of the most expensive parts unsecured?

Anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket locking kit?
23 REPLIES 23

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
All of the motorhome and both of the toy haulers I have owned have had locks on the generator doors. The only that have not had locks are the propane access doors. They cannot be locked for safety reasons.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has no locks, probably for the many reasons noted earlier.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Our oldie but goodie has a lock
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one better. I have 6"x6" locking fuel doors on each side of the coach. Yup, the standard CH251 key. HOWEVER, the fuel doors are mounted on a bay door. Yup, the bay door does NOT have a lock as this bay also has the propane tank.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time I've heard of an onboard genset being removed was at a storage lot where the thieves had access to some type of forklift, and were able to unbolt and drop generators at night.

You can get security bolts, but there is a good chance, the thief would just trash the thing out of spite.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mowermech:
These two suppliers offer latches for Fleetwood
RV designer latches

JR products

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
I have never seen a lock on a Jenny door

same here. it's not like they can just lift it out like a honda 2000. it would be much easier to pop the door lock with a crowbar than to wrestle a built in gen set out.
bumpy

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely lock my basement doors. Mainly because the latches are just cheap plastic, and they break very easily just closing the doors! I tried to find metal latches to replace them, but no joy. A moderately strong thief could put gloves on, grab the lower edge of the door, and yank on it hard enough to break the latches.
I have three or four of those junky things to replace when the weather warms up. Since an exact replacement is not available, that means modifying the doors to fit the new latches. I don't want to have to do that any more often than necessary! I would rather lose some of the "stuff" that I carry around than have to do expensive door and/or body repairs.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The generator door on our rig which is a toyhauler same as the OP has a lock on it although it's the same lock used on our basement storage doors and would only take a few seconds to defeat. Toyhaulers will inevitably have gas fueled onboard generators since they have onboard fuel stations for their toys, they are hard enough to just perform basic maintenance let alone a thief willing to spend that much time and effort to steal one while RVing.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our generator door locks but hey, if they can get that heavy generator out of that compartment, they are really determined.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^You're just not looking hard enough. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a lock on a Jenny door
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said,the locks on a RV compartments are pretty much useless if a thief wants in. And they are pretty much universal ch751 so the keys are easy to get.

If you are worried about it you can get These they are not any more secure but they can be keyed alike and everyone won't have a key to open them.

I replaced all of my compartment locks with them,for some reason I had 3 different keys for them :? Now I just have one key for all of them ๐Ÿ™‚

I have thumb locks on the generator,if I have a problem with it,like a fuel leak or fire I don't want to be looking for a key...
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rarely if ever is there a lock on the generator compartment, as the replies here indicate.

It took me the better part of a day to drop the generator from my motorhome, and I found out once it was down that I should have driven up on a ramp or two for better clearance to pull it out. I suppose it would be a somewhat quicker process if you didn't care about putting it back and were willing to just cut the wires and gas line rather than disconnect them properly; in that case, at least on my motorhome, there would be no need at all to open the compartment door, as everything necessary to drop the generator aside from opening its maintenance door to disconnect stuff is accessible from the underside.

At 170 pounds or so, it's not very easy to steal. Frankly it would be far more lucrative (in terms of value vs time expended) to steal the catalytic converters, and be equally as subtle to those around.