cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Quiet Generators - Yep again

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
I realize Hondas are the best and the quietest. However, for the VERY FEW times we are off grid and need to use a generator, we don't want to spend the money on a Honda or Yamaha. If those who don't have a Honda or Yamaha could pipe in and add their 3 cents, please let me know what you would buy that would have a 2000 inverter. We would be buying two with parallel ports to run a 15,000 AC.

Briggs and Stratton
Champion
Generac
Other

We would most likely be taking only one unless it was summer and hot. The Rv has fantastic fans and we are very careful with using the battery. Our previous fifth wheel had an onboard genny which we maybe used 8 or 10 times in six years.

Thanks for your advice.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs
25 REPLIES 25

prier5
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my champion 2000 inverter for 4 years and still starts every time and runs great. VERRY quit compared to non inverter generators. Champion is in the process of bringing out a New 3100 inverter generator that will pair up with any of their current inverter generators, 1000, 2000.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I misread what the OP stated. Since noise isn't that much of a factor

didn't the OP title his thread, "Portable QUIET Generators?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I misread what the OP stated. Since noise isn't that much of a factor, I'd also second (third) the plug for the open frame Champion (model 46515) as mentioned above. Just make sure to get the wheel kit. Champions have decent voltage regulation as well, so unlike the cheapies with no name, it will not destroy what it is powering over time.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3500/4000 Champion that I got for 273.99 @HD. Only carry for that time I need it. Works great!
cpaulsen

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
Champion 3500/4000, $300 from Tractor Supply. Runs everything.

Not an inverter type, not as quiet, but not as loud as some here will lead you to believe.

I have one that I used with my previous 5er. Worked great.

Let the pissing and moaning begin!
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt a 2K generator will run a 15K BTU A/C. I've tried using a single Honda 2000 to run a 13.5K BTU A/C and it didn't work. I have a second Honda and when paired up it works just fine.

My old Yamaha 2400 could run that A/C though, and it was actually quieter than the Honda 2000.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both the Champion 2000 and the Honda 2000 and 3000 running before, in my garage and outdoors, and I could notice no difference in the amount of noise. The generators have a slightly unique sound signature of their own, the champion maybe, maybe having a slightly higher pitch, but no, I could hear no audible level of db difference with my ear.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Champion 2000 Watt for the last 2 years with no problems.Not quite as quiet as a Honda but more than acceptable.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the weight aspect. My 3000 watt Yammy is a two man operation to sling into and out of a pickup truck. The 2000 watt units do give more flexibility.

As for other brands, I think Generac doesn't have any inverter models. Neither does Briggs & Stratton. Which means that they will be very loud, even inside the RV. No-name models might be about 5-10% cheaper than a Champion... but when they break, good luck finding parts. Parts availability is a big thing, and Yamaha has decent availability (expensive shipping from online shops... but you can get what you need), and Honda parts are very easily obtained. I've not seen much on obtaining parts for Champion models outside of calling Champion themselves, but that shouldn't too big an issue.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The disadvantage of the 3000 + units is weight. I can't hardly lift them anymore.
The 2000 are much easier to move one at a time and often one is all I need.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL got the new Champion 31 or 3200. Runs his 15,000 AC without any problems. I have a Yamaha 2400. If I were to replace it I would look at this unit.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Another voice for Champion. Their inverter units are half the price of red/blue, and are louder... but not that much.

If you do not mind a unit with no remote start capability , the Champion 3100 watt model should power a 15K AC, but I'd put a hard-start capacitor on the A/C to be on the safe side, if one isn't already present.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
Do not get a Brigg's. Had one; heard in the next county and waking the dead come to mind.

X2 + some! I had an old Coleman open frame generator (3.5 kW?) some years back with a B&S engine. I only ran it occasionally to power a well pump on some land I had. 'Noisy' & 'loud' aren't even _half_ adequate to describe it.

Jim, "Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they sometimes have some pretty good ideas."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Do not get a Brigg's. Had one; heard in the next county and waking the dead come to mind.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman