cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
There have been many replies indicating a belief that we are angry people. Not even close. There are VERY few things worth wasting the energy that anger engenders. Again, just saw someone the other day who was encroached upon and thought I'd throw it out there. Seems like it's stirred the pot a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚ As I also mentioned, we've only had to deal directly with the problem ONCE in 13 years because we pick our locations (and our battles) carefully. Seems like a good track record to us. Someone else asked why we bought an RV and have had the audacity to still be doing this fulltime 13 years later. Very simply, we are HAPPY and our life on the road has superseded anything else that went before. We do understand that this lifestyle isn't for everyone. We wish that others would stop embracing it! ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
But I can explain why I would do it.

Just to piss you off.
I suspected as much.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
tsetsaf wrote:
Or you could just go over and have a conversation with the new neighbors they might surprise you and move themselves.

OUCH! This statement is beautiful and very tactful.

Lakeside

2324delk
Explorer
Explorer
I can not for the life of me explain why someone else would do it.

But I can explain why I would do it.

Just to piss you off.

You like to show people that you don't like company.

I like to piss off people who like to be put on stupid shows.

If you built a smoky fire upwind of me I would just move to the other side of you and build one myself.

If you played loud music all day, I would play loud music all night.

I am retired and have plenty of time to spend, doing the things I like to do.

If you walked up and down the road cussing and complaining, I would pull a chair out to the road and watch.

Or if you just came over to me and said hey, I don't like people and would prefer to be alone if you don't mind. I would just move to another site, and leave you alone.

But I guess you would rather post on here and be mad at the world.

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
bigdogger wrote:
At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. THEM, not us. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites. [COLOR]IN THAT SECTION! There are only 10 rigs in this entire loop, and it's a big one. There are 14 different sections here, this being the most secluded and private (as much as a campground can be) of the 850 sites spread over 460 acres only 80 of that total were occupied. Please read carefully next time you feel the need to post.

An 850 site park and yet you say there are only 50 available sites, so they really didn't have much choice. Earlier you said that there were only 80 or so rigs in the park, meaning that there was actually around 770 empty sites, so which was it? If there was 770 empty sites and they chose an undesirable site a 1000 feet away from you, maybe the answer is you and the other occupants of the park. Maybe the looks of the locals (you say you go there often)

Never said that we go here often. In fact we have been here only 4 times in 13 years. You wouldn't catch us anywhere near here from June through August.

is off-putting to new arrivals and they seek the security of staying next to a safer or quieter looking camper. Or maybe they chose that site to be assured that at least on one side of them circus won't be setting up camp.

Park next to me in the middle of the desert and the circus WILL arrive!
After reading this response, I can see why they parked 1000 feet away from you even if it was next to someone else, it was probably as far away from you as they could get and still be in the park.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I only ask that others, given every possible indication that we would like to be secluded and have made every effort to do that without infringing upon anyone in a venue as wide open as can be, please "respect" us and leave us alone

And please respect others if they choose to be near you as it's their "right". We are not a species of mind readers. If you truly choose to distance yourself from human company and your number one priority in life is privacy then I respectfully suggest you purchase a large plot of land in the middle of nowhere, fence it off, and turn off your lights so no one knows you are there. If I want to set up my rig smack dab beside you then you can't tell me know.

So riddle me this, Lone Ranger: If you don't want to be around people why on earth did you buy an RV, the purpose of which is to travel from campground to campground?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
thank God...a normal person...with no agendas...good day sir..
Pogoil wrote:
If the spot is open and I want to park in it I do not even consider weather or not you want to be alone. That is not an option as I paid for a site and for what ever reason I like it. I mean no harm.

You do have choices. Boondock in the middle of nowhere.

These people that park close to you are not criminals they choose a spot for many reasons. Close to restrooms, close to trail head, close to water, close to dog park or god forbid they just choose it randomly and do not put as much thought into a site as you do.

By the way we do know how to leave people alone but you will get a hello or good morning from me every time I see you. That is the way I was brought up.

Pogoil.
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Umm, dude, I think you answered your own question! :B

Newsflash, you don't own the desert, either. Didn't your mommy every teach you the words SHARE and RESPECT? Sheesh, ya act like you own EVERYTHING and are entitled to it!

Nothing could be further away from the fact of the matter. I don't pretend to "own" anything, not even what I think I "own", You don't either, but that's another discussion. You mentioned "respect". Back to my original post. I only ask that others, given every possible indication that we would like to be secluded and have made every effort to do that without infringing upon anyone in a venue as wide open as can be, please "respect" us and leave us alone. Is that really too much to ask when there are 770 more opportunities in an RV park such as this and infinite boondocking choices?

And BTW, my mommy died at my birth.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Umm, dude, I think you answered your own question! :B

Newsflash, you don't own the desert, either. Didn't your mommy every teach you the words SHARE and RESPECT? Sheesh, ya act like you own EVERYTHING and are entitled to it!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
bigdogger wrote:
At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. THEM, not us. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites. [COLOR]IN THAT SECTION! There are only 10 rigs in this entire loop, and it's a big one. There are 14 different sections here, this being the most secluded and private (as much as a campground can be) of the 850 sites spread over 460 acres only 80 of that total were occupied. Please read carefully next time you feel the need to post.

An 850 site park and yet you say there are only 50 available sites, so they really didn't have much choice. Earlier you said that there were only 80 or so rigs in the park, meaning that there was actually around 770 empty sites, so which was it? If there was 770 empty sites and they chose an undesirable site a 1000 feet away from you, maybe the answer is you and the other occupants of the park. Maybe the looks of the locals (you say you go there often)

Never said that we go here often. In fact we have been here only 4 times in 13 years. You wouldn't catch us anywhere near here from June through August.

is off-putting to new arrivals and they seek the security of staying next to a safer or quieter looking camper. Or maybe they chose that site to be assured that at least on one side of them circus won't be setting up camp.

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

An 850 site park and yet you say there are only 50 available sites, so they really didn't have much choice. Earlier you said that there were only 80 or so rigs in the park, meaning that there was actually around 770 empty sites, so which was it? If there was 770 empty sites and they chose an undesirable site a 1000 feet away from you, maybe the answer is you and the other occupants of the park. Maybe the looks of the locals (you say you go there often) is off-putting to new arrivals and they seek the security of staying next to a safer or quieter looking camper. Or maybe they chose that site to be assured that at least on one side of them circus won't be setting up camp.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to me that the question is why would someone, in an otherwise empty campground (or even an undeveloped, dispersed camping area), choose to park right next to someone else? What is the psychology behind it? You're probably a nice person but some of us would just like to know what your reasoning is. Are you thinking. "Gee, they look like they need some company?". :h
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You take your life in your hands when you do ANY complaining on this board. Everyone is holier-than-thou, and if the OP's complaints are not your complaints, OP will get an earful of what a self-centered snob he is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe how many miserable/entitled/full of themselves people are on here.

You want privacy? Don't go camping in a campground.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
let me know where you are parked and i'll see how close I can get to you