cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
They park there for the same reasons as you because it is allowed and think nothing as to why or why not to park there
No, they do not. I park there because it's quiet and private and there is no one else around. They obviously have other reasons. :R
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Parking by is one thing. The fact that when boondocking, the first people who complain about generator noise, music, and the dog are the ones who decide to snuggle right up to you in the middle of nowhere.

I'm guessing some just want to do that in hopes the other person moves. It gives a power trip, I guess.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Why does everyone assume that people who like a bit of privacy while camping are rude and antisocial? I don't mind greeting and talking with people but it's those who park their rig right next door when there are acres of empty space that puzzle me.

They park there for the same reasons as you because it is allowed and think nothing as to why or why not to park there,

Pogoil.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
As to the "move or live with it" respondents, there is a 3rd choice: make it uncomfortable for them to be there.

Ahhh, perfect example of the "entitled" attitude. Sorry dude, you don't own the campground. If someone did that to you, you'd be the first to complain to management to have them thrown out. It's not your "right" to hog an area of the campground just because someone doesn't play by your rules. If someone camps near you your RESPECTFUL choice is to suck it up or move. Period. It's communal living that requires the establishment and respect of boundaries-from all.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
As to the "move or live with it" respondents, there is a 3rd choice: make it uncomfortable for them to be there. Because we nearly always pick spots that are under-populated (such as where we are now with less than 10% occupancy spread over 460 acres) and we fairly obviously set up in an unwelcoming fashion, we have only had to deal with this directly once in 13 years of fulltiming.

We were boondocking in the desert. Our nearest neighbor was roughly 1/2 mile away. Wouldn't ya know it....rig came in and set up 300' from us. In the middle of the freakin' desert!

In relatively close quarters you will never find more respectful neighbors than we. We don't allow sounds, smells, lights etc. to escape our site when it is necessary to park next to someone (usually an assigned site in an RV park on our way to somewhere else).

SO, we cranked up the tunes (400 RMS watts available into 6 bodacious speakers), built a smoky fire upwind of them and cranked up the generator, which, given our solar panels, we rarely use, but boy did we use it that day ๐Ÿ™‚

The guy had the gall to come over and ask us if we'd turn the music down. While sweeping my arms toward the vast expanse of the unoccupied desert I said, "No, this is what we do...your choice pal". They moved the next morning.

Wow talk about angry people. I can tell you this can backfire on you as some can be meaner than you.

How in the world could someone parked 300 feet away from you make you so rude and angry????

Pogoil.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why does everyone assume that people who like a bit of privacy while camping are rude and antisocial? I don't mind greeting and talking with people but it's those who park their rig right next door when there are acres of empty space that puzzle me.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Canyon_Cat
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:

By the way we do know how to leave people alone but you will get a hello or good morning from me every time I see you. That is the way I was brought up.

Pogoil.

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Friendly people who respect others privacy but are not snobs. They greet, speak, and visit when invited. I don't care if you park next to me and I'm the only Camper in the the Park. and in most cases look forward to meeting you, but I will not invade your space without an invitation of sort, and will be conscious not to over stay my welcome. To me it's a matter of respect, some have it some don't. I would just like a way to tell someone "It's time you leave" without being an A$$ about it.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
As to the "move or live with it" respondents, there is a 3rd choice: make it uncomfortable for them to be there. Because we nearly always pick spots that are under-populated (such as where we are now with less than 10% occupancy spread over 460 acres) and we fairly obviously set up in an unwelcoming fashion, we have only had to deal with this directly once in 13 years of fulltiming.

We were boondocking in the desert. Our nearest neighbor was roughly 1/2 mile away. Wouldn't ya know it....rig came in and set up 300' from us. In the middle of the freakin' desert!

In relatively close quarters you will never find more respectful neighbors than we. We don't allow sounds, smells, lights etc. to escape our site when it is necessary to park next to someone (usually an assigned site in an RV park on our way to somewhere else).

SO, we cranked up the tunes (400 RMS watts available into 6 bodacious speakers), built a smoky fire upwind of them and cranked up the generator, which, given our solar panels, we rarely use, but boy did we use it that day ๐Ÿ™‚

The guy had the gall to come over and ask us if we'd turn the music down. While sweeping my arms toward the vast expanse of the unoccupied desert I said, "No, this is what we do...your choice pal". They moved the next morning.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The only solution for privacy such as you desire is boondocking in a remote place no one can find. Many choose the RV lifestyle because of the socialization aspect. You can't get that aspect if you are across the park. Why did you choose the spot you are in? We all have our reasons some of which we can't explain. We've done it because the spot next to you or near you is appealing, away from the playground, or might have a little extra space around it. Or we figure because it's in a less desirable area it might not get overcrowded. Honestly I don't care if there's someone there or not, unless in my mind they look undesirable. And if someone parks near me I don't care about that, either. Did I answer the question to your satisfaction?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
If the spot is open and I want to park in it I do not even consider weather or not you want to be alone. That is not an option as I paid for a site and for what ever reason I like it. I mean no harm.

You do have choices. Boondock in the middle of nowhere.

These people that park close to you are not criminals they choose a spot for many reasons. Close to restrooms, close to trail head, close to water, close to dog park or god forbid they just choose it randomly and do not put as much thought into a site as you do.

By the way we do know how to leave people alone but you will get a hello or good morning from me every time I see you. That is the way I was brought up.

Pogoil.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's called Autophobia. Fear of being alone.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
I did it... once.

Went to a park off-season, only two RVs in the place. The owner's son was in one and the incoming season's work campers in another.

I parked right next to the work campers.

Why?

The empty park had 5 back-in riverfront sites; I had reserved a riverfront site. The first was next to the bathroom, the second was between them and the bathroom, the third was theirs, the fourth I backed in. The fifth site was restricted to 32' or less, I was in a 38' class A.

So basically the only space I could back in to without being next to them would have put me right next to the outhouse. While there were few RVs in the park, the outhouse had a foot bridge over the little river to where the tent campers were set up, and there were at lest 5 tents over there (meant the outhouse was in use).

Of course, every other time I hit an empty park, I find a seclude spot to be alone.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
noplace2 wrote:
tsetsaf wrote:

How about you folks move? I get your original complaint and agree it can be irritating but it seems from the above comment and a few of your other replies that you are not people friendly. There is nothing wrong with that but being as it is your RV is very capable of moving to a different spot. Alternatively you could rent out all the adjacent spots within an acceptable radius. Or you could just go over and have a conversation with the new neighbors they might surprise you and move themselves.

Seriously? Here's the deal. Hypothetically (we haven't had to actually deal with the problem since we make it abundantly clear that we are not "people friendly") if we are in a remote site for 3 weeks in a park consisting of 850 sites spread over 460 acres, only 80 of those sites being occupied, and someone chooses to move in a site next to us and you then suggest that WE move? You're kidding, right?

Yes I am serious. You either move or live with it or buy the entire place up and keep your "privacy". Michael Jackson used to do that at Disneyland; rent the entire place out and it was all his.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a beef if I were in an undeveloped area, but if I park in a developed campground, any spot can be taken by anyone. While I would rather being spaced as far as possible, if I want privacy a developed campground is not the place to find it.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
This phenomenon has been written about and mulled over on many occasion. It drives me crazy. I don't dislike people but when I'm trying to get away from it all, that includes people. And if I'm boondocking in a 100 acre BLM area, and the place is virtually empty, I don't appreciate someone plunking down right next to me.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8