cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems installing a brake controller... Weird...

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
TV : 2013 Armada SL with tow package.

I took the Hensley True Control Gold brake controller from the old Tundra and using the Nissan's harness, hooked everything up, double checked with Hensley and Nissan to make sure the right wires were matched.

Problem : The controller only displays information when the brake pedal is applied. When I release the brake, screen goes black again. So I can't control gain or monitor any voltage, you know, basically use the controller. I checked all the fuses and they are good. Is this a relay problem? There is no constant power coming from the Nissan wiring harness RED wire.

Any ideas?
"Whatever is good to know, is difficult to to learn."
18 REPLIES 18

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the Armada red wire is connected to the black wire on the brake controller.

This is likely the problem. If the vehicle is used it may be gone. If it is new you may want to look. As suggested above there may be a tow package kit (relay, fuses, etc) that has not been installed. This (Ford version) is a bag of parts either under the passenger seat or in the glove box. It is part of the tow package.

===

This may be what you are saying about No power to the red wire. A quick check would be to see if there is constant power on any of the wires coming out of the Nissan connector. That would be the one the to connect to the black wire on the controller.

According to this page I would suggest checking the voltage at the black wire going into the controller.

Without totally tearing your connections apart see if you have 12 VDC at the black wire connection.
If you dont have 12 VDC you need to trace that wire back to its source. You indicated that if you hook this to a battery directly it worked as expected.

http://hensleymfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tru-control-manual.pdf
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
harper223 wrote:
I double checked, there is No power coming FROM the armada red wire. I checked this with the harness attached and without. Nissan is going to look at it on Thursday, and this better be a warranty job

Perhaps you need to install a fuse or breaker to activate the red wire? Some of the big 3 trucks require this to activate the brake controller circuit.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Sounds like you have hooked the brake trigger wire to the power in wire on the unit.

That was my thought as well.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
I double checked, there is No power coming FROM the armada red wire. I checked this with the harness attached and without. Nissan is going to look at it on Thursday, and this better be a warranty job

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have hooked the brake trigger wire to the power in wire on the unit.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Have you checked the factory harness color code? It maybe different color code then the controller harness.
Verify Nissan and controller harness, Splice accordingly.

Also, you might try one of the Titan specific forum like titantalk.com, etc. for more info.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the factory harness color code? It maybe different color code then the controller harness.
Verify Nissan and controller harness, Splice accordingly.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'm using the Nissan harness.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harper, this may sound like a dumb question, but are you using the Nissan factory pigtail that they throw in the glove box when you buy the vehicle (like Toyota does)?
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
What voltage is on the red wire?

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing.

All I found was this:
FOR NISSAN JUMPER HARNESS :
Red/green = vehicle stop lamp switch to trailer brake controller
Black=brake controller ground
Brown/white=trailer brake controller switched output
Red/blue =illumination
Red=fused trailer brake controller battery feed (B+)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look in the owner's manual under the fuses area to see if it lists the correct fuse location for the controller plug.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
I know that the controller works the way it used to because I hooked it straight to the battery using a long wire connecting the Hensley True Control power wire and bypassing the Nissan's harness. I was able to use all of its normal functions

harper223
Explorer
Explorer
All fuses tested good. Checked the wire connections again to be sure. I'm totally confused.