cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems towing a Ford Focus

donniesmash
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone having trouble towing a 2012 Ford Focus with 6 speed transmission? Manufacture date: 04/11. If not, what am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated!!
30 REPLIES 30

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed our 2012 for over 22,000 miles without a problem. Just follow the operator's manual--that is the bible. To simplify the batter disconnect issue, I had a solenoid installed which connects/disconnects the battery with the push of a button.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
What carringsb said! The first year of that trans, you have to get a firmware update because Ford made a mistake. I think Ford should cover the transmission rebuilds if they didn't already.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Focus,same as 2012 tows great.Follow instruction in manual towed it to Florida twice no problems. leaving motor running is not going to work, it has a six speed transmission with automatic shifting. It is not hydraulic.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't discredit everyone..the cruze when it first came out was flat towable and then the fiasco happened with burning up transmissions..they then came out with a TSB saying no more towing..I have no idea at how many people got burnt by that...I believe some were purchased back by GM (heresay)....when I purchased the Sonic as my daily driver..I made sure flat towable with specific engine/trans ..this way if anything happened to the VUE , I have another toad...Ford had an issue as well with some Escapes and people had to drain tranny fluid on it (that was the fix back then)...but just remember, read CURRENT owners manual before you buy that toad..and not all manuals can be flat towed either (like VW)
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
all these post make me glad i got a manual transmission on my focus. . put it in neutral and go
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
donniesmash wrote:
When I flat tow, it ruined the transmission twice. I put it in neutral, shut the key off, disconnect the battery, reconnect after towing and start the car within the 15 minutes. I seem to be doing all that is recommended but I'm worried to ruin the transmission again.

RAV previously posted the procedures to follow to prep for flat towing. Here's a LINK to the manual for the complete instructions (see pages 256 through 258. If you are following these procedures to the letter, then you shouldn't be having any problems ruining your transmission.

I would suggest taking these instructions to your Ford dealer and review them with the service manager to make sure you're following them correctly.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing about leaving the car running is that the miles will add up.

I think I would only pick a tow vehicle that could actually be towed four down without any risk of damage.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
sundancer268 wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
2005 and 2012 are totally different mechanically.

I they are different. The point being that Ford does not recommend towing either one four down period. I get away with it by the engine at idle to keep the transmission lubricated. Transmission LUBRICATION is the issue when towing and some transmissions can safely be towed as they will self lubricate or running the engine at a stop will supply sufficient lubrication and will be allowed to be towed by their manufacturers. For the Transmission installed in a vehicle not recommended for four down towing running the engine will also allow that vehicle to be towed without any damage. This has been a fact of life for Automatic Transmissions since the manufacturers started removing the rear transmission oil pump in the late 50's & early 60's. My 57 Ford could be push started because it had a rear pump. My 65 could not as the rear pump had been removed and towing restrictions were put in the owners manual pointing out that the transmission would be damaged if the drive shaft was not disconnected while towing with a wrecker to a repair shop.

X2
Virtually all transmissions are lubricated by the input shaft which means by the engine running. Standard and automatics the same.
Any things like-stopping and running the engine every 100 miles or so-are just work around fun and games that get by hopefully.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
2005 and 2012 are totally different mechanically.

I they are different. The point being that Ford does not recommend towing either one four down period. I get away with it by the engine at idle to keep the transmission lubricated. Transmission LUBRICATION is the issue when towing and some transmissions can safely be towed as they will self lubricate or running the engine at a stop will supply sufficient lubrication and will be allowed to be towed by their manufacturers. For the Transmission installed in a vehicle not recommended for four down towing running the engine will also allow that vehicle to be towed without any damage. This has been a fact of life for Automatic Transmissions since the manufacturers started removing the rear transmission oil pump in the late 50's & early 60's. My 57 Ford could be push started because it had a rear pump. My 65 could not as the rear pump had been removed and towing restrictions were put in the owners manual pointing out that the transmission would be damaged if the drive shaft was not disconnected while towing with a wrecker to a repair shop.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of buying one to tow but after reading all the reports on that fancy trannie I passed. One would have thought that by now they would have fixed the trans but according to consumer reports it ranks in the list of worst cars on the market. Mostly because almost everyone has trannie problems. I am surprised as I thought Ford was producing some nice cars.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of buying one to tow but after reading all the reports on that fancy trannie I passed. One would have thought that by now they would have fixed the trans but according to consumer reports it ranks in the list of worst cars on the market. Mostly because almost everyone has trannie problems. I am surprised as I thought Ford was producing some nice cars.

Moisheh

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
You have to put the car in nuetral turn key on and wait till it says ready to tow or in nuetral something like that then disconnect battery cable.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
We were on our second transmission and it started acting up again. We got rid of it. Ford did give us an extension on the warranty. Dealer had it a week the first time and I just did not see going thru it again as it is a problem in the design I believe. Liked the car but not the problems with the tranny. One of the reasons we purchased it was to tow. Good luck with yours.
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide