cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Fire Pits

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a guy here in the cg a couple of nights ago with one of those propane gas rings, pits, campfires, whatever they're called. There were several people sitting around the fire so I didn't want to intrude and ask questions. Do any of you use them and if so, how do you like them? I'm getting to where I'm tired of hauling wood in the back of the truck. Plus, more often than not, we don't burn it all so I load it up again and take it back home. Do they put out the same amount of heat? Many have lava rocks in them. Is there a problem if you drop a marshmallow off the end of your s'mores fork? I realize there is no definitive answer to this next question, but what about amount of propane usage? If you burn it 2-3 hours a night, about how long will the standard bbq type bottle last? Thanks all.
22 REPLIES 22

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have one (a Camco model), and love it. While I still prefer a real fire, the Camco is great for fire bans, campgrounds without fire pits, Nascar, etc. It puts out a reasonable amount of heat (not as much as a real campfire, but...) and gives a similar ambiance (without the smoke) although without the "crackling". It's also quick, clean, and easy.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dewey02 wrote:
To each their own and some folks seem to like these propane firepits.

But I've never found our gas fireplace in the house to be anywhere near as nice or comforting as a real fireplace (although certainly more thermally efficient, especially when the fire isn't going!).

When camping, we want the real thing. We deal with enough fake stuff while living in the modern world. We spend a lot of time outside when camping and appreciate a real, crackling and warm fire.

As I said, your opinion may vary and you are certainly entitled to it.

I don't have one but, this is what I was thinking. I do understand that during a Burn Ban they would be nice though.

I occasionally let the wood fire go out and just set outside in the dark enjoying nature. That can be fun sometimes too.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased ours from Lowes some years back and it puts out a decent amount of heat as the flame is adjustable and can get quite large when set on high. On that setting it will go through a significant amount of propane, but we don't use it to keep warm and usually have flame set lower, mostly to add ambiance to the campsite while enjoying the evening outdoors.

It gets used primarily during periods of the year where fire bans are in place, we do not bring it along otherwise. Although it is convenient, cleaner, and in many cases less costly to run than using firewood, we will always prefer the real thing. We live and do most of our RVing in the four corner states and dry firewood is abundant and easily accessible wherever we go.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
To each their own and some folks seem to like these propane firepits.

But I've never found our gas fireplace in the house to be anywhere near as nice or comforting as a real fireplace (although certainly more thermally efficient, especially when the fire isn't going!).

When camping, we want the real thing. We deal with enough fake stuff while living in the modern world. We spend a lot of time outside when camping and appreciate a real, crackling and warm fire.

As I said, your opinion may vary and you are certainly entitled to it.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
like our campfire in a can. I don't think they are in business any more. Website is there but didn't function last time I tried it.

Just tried it and everything is out of stock....
campfireinacan
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire In A Can is by far the best (and most expensive) one on the market. It's fully adjustable flame can put out a huge fire that many people can sit around and stay warm. I've had one since 2011 and use it just about every trip.
However...
I was one of the many folks that KickStarter supported them on a wood/gas version that they never came through with. They even took shipping costs from us and didn't return it. So I have a hard time suggesting the unit.
But to fair it is really good. It does eat a lot of propane on high.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Little Red campfire. The cost is comparable to campground wood but the advantages are tremendous. It is nice to simply turn the fire off and on rather than spend two hours trying to get a decent fire going with wet, green, campground wood.

We also use it inside our 10x10 shelter with wind walls and no worries about sparks burning the nylon.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dawgs wrote:
I bought one for the purpose of being able to have a fire during burn bans. I could care less about heat. I do mine for the feel of a fire. Very relaxing.

This ^^^ We still enjoy a wood fire when allowed, but during a burn ban it beats the heck out of sitting around a flashlight.

Safe travels
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Another great thing about them is, your neighbors that have COPD will greatly appreciate the lack of smoke. Even though they may not be setting around your fire ring, they are enjoying it as much as you.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Have to admit, I'm surprised by all the positive comments. Our house sits on a ravine lot so the backyard is "sort of" like camping ... love a wood burning campfire but bylaws here ban the practice so a couple of years ago we bought a large, propane fire ring. Frankly, it uses a lot of propane yet throws out very little heat at all, the result being we're not using it anywhere near as much as we thought we would. On the upside, it's yet one more reason to actually go camping where we can have a real wood campfire. That obviously means sourcing wood for the fire but IMO nothing beats a crackling wood campfire. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I also purchased one from Costco, Outland firebowl i think it is. We've used it a few times but still prefer a real wood fire.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
It's all we use. Got ours at Costco. Love it!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
You can see ours burning inside the canopy "room". Ours is set up to use either the trailer propane or a separate bottle. Have used it down to 25 degrees in the "room" and have stayed very comfortable!! Another NW camper who can have a fire when the forests are closed.

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours too. We have a 12' square screen room that we set up the picnic table and lounge chairs in and use the propane fireplace in there. It is dry and warm even in rainy weather. As Scott has said above we have used ours under the awning as well. We have also roasted marshmallows and hot dogs on it with no problem at all. The lava rocks get hot enough to burn anything off in a short period of time.

I too got tired of dealing with firewood and it is becoming harder to find. I also got tired of the mess; a real fire ends up getting ash and debris everywhere including all over the truck, trailer roof, awnings, etc. Not to mention the stench; we notice right away the difference in smell on us and clothing when we have joined friends for a real fire.

The way I look at it is that buying propane for the fireplace is cheaper than buying wood at campgrounds and MUCH more convenient and clean.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes