cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about staking a power awning

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, what's the consensus on securing a power awning? I know they don't recommend it and I never ever go off and leave the awning out when I leave the campsite. I just want it to be a bit more secure when there's a slight breeze. I have seen a few people do it but not to many and that's why I was wondering.
20 REPLIES 20

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 15 years of RV'ing, if an awning needs to be staked it shouldn't be out! I've seen staked awnings stay, but the material rips away from the trailer.

It's everyone's money, but I will save mine for beer, fuel and firewood!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our seasonal site is directly across from a farm. We get a breeze all the time coming across the farm. Our power awning would get pushed around so we bought a set of awning tie downs by Camco. For $19, they worked great even through a few gusty storms with winds up to 25 - 30 mph. Our power awning did not come with the wind sensor either.

Towards the end of June this year we had a Macroburst storm with straight line winds up to 85 mph (only a thunderstorm was predicated, no warning for high winds so I left the awning out). The awning moved a lot, but the springs allowed the awning to move slowly and softly. The springs got completely stretched out and are no longer usable. The awning has been retracted and extended a few times since and is fine. A $19 investment saved our awning.

Without the springs, the Camco system is not as sturdy. The straps loosen too easily, so I am going to replace their straps with regular ratchet straps. I also like the idea 57 Panhead linked to and might give it a try.

Last night the NWS was predicting Severe Thunder Storms and heavy winds so I brought the awning in. We barely got any rain and no wind. I sure wish I could be as wrong and the NWS always is and still have a job.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ESVA_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar set-up except we add a sunshade with bungees on stakes along the bottom. So far just use it during the winter in Florida. We do take it down if severe weather is predicted. Nearly everyone in the park ties their awnings down and some never take them in the whole winter.
Eastern Shore of VA Travelers
2005 F250, 2011 Cedar Creek 34SB 5th Wheel

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
I found this idea at the Wildcat users forum and made a set for myself. I think they work great.

Awning tie down supports for electric awnings.

(scroll down when you get to the link)

Maybe it could work for you.

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I have tied my electric awning down a couple of times. On our non electric awning we were able to use deflappers to keep the fabric from flapping but not so with the power awning.

We stopped the flapping on our power awning using a new design of tension rod joist we could fasten the bracket to. It has a t at one end that lays against the side of the unit, while a spring is used to fit it snugly against the tube. It was a good solution for us while we spent nearly 5 months in Florida and only had to bring the awning in twice, when the winds were forecasted to be over 40 mph. Many folks with the same set up never brought them in...all were fine.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tieing down and electric awing is the only why of controlling theses things that flop around like a fish out of water. Or you can stand by the button all day.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I have tied my electric awning down a couple of times. On our non electric awning we were able to use deflappers to keep the fabric from flapping but not so with the power awning.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering the same thing when I camped at the beach a couple of weeks ago. I saw some tied down and some rolled in most of the time. We rolled ours in most of the time because we did not have anything to tie it down. I watched a tied down power awning take one heck of a beating during a thunderstorm with 50-60 mph winds and the awning looked fine after the storm. I think I would have rolled ours in for the storm but the next time I go to the beach I will tie our power awning down so we can use it more.

statehoss
Explorer
Explorer
I pitch the awning for water run-off and lock the arms. At each end I us a stake, a large spring from the hardware store, and a length of rope. After I tie the rope, I loosen the awning locks so the springs take the force and not the awning structure. I either use the larger plastic stakes or the thin nail like stakes depending on the soil. Never had an issue. No automatic wind sensor on mine and the wind will throw that awning over my trailer in a medium breeze.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm, not all power awnings have the wind sensor.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Power awnings are supposed to retract automatically in high wind.. however the wind sensor on mine is a .. Failure, total failure.. So I DISABLE the sensor and then stake it down.

Taken some serious winds here and no problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
swamprat 01 wrote:
I use dog anchors (the type that screw into the ground, I use para cord and have a piece of inner tube in the line to take up any slack, I also use these for canoe camping on sandbars for my 20" tarp and tent.
They hold much better than regular stakes..

X-2

I use the dog anchors along with an awning tie down kit that uses springs and quick release straps to secure my awning. This works wells as long as the wind doesn't exceed 15 MPH and not on the side of the trailer with the awning toward the wind.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use dog anchors (the type that screw into the ground, I use para cord and have a piece of inner tube in the line to take up any slack, I also use these for canoe camping on sandbars for my 20" tarp and tent.
They hold much better than regular stakes..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often the ground is too hard to stake. Use a couple of milk containers filled with water to stop awning jitters.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995