cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Flawless,excellent, clean" RANT

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
So quickly, I'll explain that I'm currently looking to trade in our Class A for a diesel TV, and either TT or 5er.
That being said I've spent a good amount of time looking at used diesel vehicles and used campers.. I will say that a good majority of the time , the used vehicles are described fairly accurately online. For the most part.
BUT, these TTs n 5ers are a whole different story.
Why do people feel the need to describe their rig as being the flawless, well kept masterpiece of craftsmanship. I can't tell you how many trailers I've wasted my time going to see first hand that were grossly over glorified.
Example: non-smoker, no pets, immaculate" = reaks of stale smoke odor and cat pee. Some still may have a litter box inside.
Example: excellent condition, never any leaks= half the sidewall on the rig is bubbled and delaminating.
Example: used only 3 times, = maybe used 3 times for about 4 years each time? I'm sorry but without a complete renovation you can't erase wear an tear.
Example: we'll kept, clean = who knows what stains all over floors an upholstery! years worth of mouse turd behind drawers and furniture.

Maybe my definition of these words are just wrong? Maybe some Marine Corps white glove inspection has welded itself into my DNA and can no longer recognize what normal is?

Or maybe people are asking too much money for the quality of product they have to offer and subconsciously feel the need to lie to justify their price?
Granted if some of these rigs were properly and honestly described and the asking price represented it's current condition, I might even buy it. But the lies about very obvious issues only leads me to believe there are other known issues, more severe issues.

Btw, these have been from craigslist private party sales, Sunday paper classifieds, and local rv dealers websites..

Please for the love of all that's good folks, advertise your equipment honestly, time is money and I've been wasting a lot of money looking at these types of RVs.
Home is where the Marine Corps sends me.
35 REPLIES 35

run100
Explorer
Explorer
The sad truth is that sales people and politicians do not hold exclusive contracts on dishonesty. The fact is, many people (NOT all) can, and will, lie, cheat or steal at almost any opportunity. In my lifetime, my worst experiences have been with dishonest repair services. In the end, it cost them any of my future business. If they lied once, they'll surely lie twice.

Not sure why many people stretch the truth or deceive when selling items. The truth usually comes out in the end anyway, so where's the gain?
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vulcaneer wrote:
SO would you go see this one?

For sale at a very cheap price. A 20XX year RV that is in pretty rough shape. Inside is in great shape, except it smells like cigar smoke and Cat pee. The carpets have no tears, but do have a couple of dried cat puddles. And other normal wear and tear that is normal for a family with 3 boys.

The outside is pretty dirty, and a few small dings here and there. Tires need to be replaced as two are losing air, and they are all 7 years old. And a few frame cracks that can be easily welded.

Most RV's of this type and year are selling for $5,000 more than I am asking. So this is a great price. Motivated seller. Make an offer.

That is why they lie.

Honestly...if it's $5K less, I might. I expect to need to clean ANY used rig, figure needing tires, Liz and I can wash the exterior in a couple hours. I work with a guy whose brother details cars...and that dude can get ANYTHING clean!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Last November I saw an ad for the camper I was looking for. It was a 2007 Arctic Fox and was about an hour and a half drive away. I decided to pass on it because it didn't have air conditioning. I looked at a filthy one that looked neglected so decided to pass on it too. I decided to look again at the first one so drove to see it. Turns out a retired guy had bought it new and kept it in a garage. He had another older camper that he used for off road and hunting so rarely used the AF. It was immaculate and had plastic covering the carpet. I immediately knew I found a gem. I made a reasonable offer and bought it. People ask me if it's new all the time. I got lucky.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Dfresh
Explorer
Explorer
When we first started looking at buying our first TT, we went and checked out a few at a local dealership. Junk. Dirty, worn out, abused, junk. Priced like gold bouillon.

As we looked farther and farther a field, we were only looking at new units, as I just didn't need another project. On one trip to a dealership, I had only been to previously once, we were looking at new units, and were unimpressed by both the quality and price.

The sales guy suggested we take a look at the only used unit they had left. Since we were already there, it wasn't going to hurt. But I didn't have high expectations.
That's the TT we currently own and enjoy. 5 years old, and I could tell the instant we walked in the door, it'd barely been used at all. Got a good price, and other than a few minor issues that I've fixed myself. We're happy with it.

But this is after a number of trips to a variety of dealerships, scouring the internet for reviews, used sales ads, visiting a RV show... Takes time. Not always a commodity people have lots of.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago I saw an ad in the local paper that read something like this.

"197? Ford F250. Dents in every body panel, some rust, leaks most fluids you can pour into it, seat pounded out, etc. Runs out good though."

Price was reasonable but not cheap. A few months later after snowmobiling a few of us were at a watering hole and I mentioned the ad. Turns out I knew the guy that had ran it and he was setting next to me. He said his phone was ringing with calls at 6 am and the pickup was gone and he had cash for asking price before 8:00 am.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The buyer must still due their due diligence. Sure its nice to think you can sit at a computer screen and buy a used RV based on a great ad and lots of fantastic photos however in the real world you are buying from the general public.
If you don't have the time,patience or mentality to look at used RV's buy new!
Ask pertinent question before making the trip,eliminate the real dogs by phone. Otherwise there is no substitute for taking the drive to check it out. If it is a loser don't waste a lot of time and move on to the next one.
Buying used can be a time consuming task, however if you want to find the diamond in the rough there is no way around the leg work.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If I go to look and it is pure filth or if I know the tires aren't new if all those little things you know are wrong and they are lying about I play along and when I'm through looking, I start telling then I pay your asking price, IF, your replace the tires, lay new carpet, new batteries and all those things that need doing, OR, I haul it away for you, for say two or three hundred bucks. I don't think they like being screwed around with and if they complain, I ask them why didn't you tell me the truth. I also take the bigger and meaner, big brother with me.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
What really amazes me is how people advertise an RV for sale and only put one or two pictures in the ad. Are you kidding ? Worse is a bunch of lousy out of focus pictures taken from inside looking towards a window so the entire inside is black (underexposed because of the window light). Get smart people. If you have no photo skills, get a friend who is a good photographer and understands exposure and wide angle shots. If you have a high end rig, hire a professional to make it look fantastic. It will sell faster and maybe even for more money.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we sold our 86 King of the Road. I was up front and clear on it's history with us.
We had replace 6' of soft floor in the rear, 2/3 of back wall. The cooling unit on the refer.
What sold it was that it was an older aluminum skinned rig and I waxed it yearly while we owned it. It was clean on the inside and we were letting some items go with it that we didn't have a use for.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Went to an auction once. Had a real nice Chevy 1 ton dump.
Auctioneer said that the truck had been "Completely Gone Through".
He was right. That truck had been "gone through" by at least half of the people at the auction. (truck sold silly high!)

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
One that I've heard a lot recently is "needs a little TLC". That usually means a major restoration is in order....!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

hookie
Explorer
Explorer
just_dave wrote:
Hard to believe the number of people justifying lying as a means to end. Kinda pathetic IMHO. The fact that someone lies on the ad, especially a blatant lie is all I need to walk. - Dave

This, x100. It's disgusting to hear that even some on this forum justify these thoughts and behaviors. There are more and more people who have stooped to this despicable level, so self-centered and without a conscience. Lord help us.
'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You gotta wonder how the house looks if they live like that in their RV. My trailer is very clean and immaculate. it may show a scuff mark here or there or a nick down low from something bumping it, but it is very clean and it shows! I`ve seen some that I wouldn`t even step through the doorway of.

My brother just bought an 09 hybrid. it is decent for the most part, but it looks as if they never really cared about keeping shoes out of it or cleaning the cushions or any type of cleaning. with some cleaning and work it will look presentable, but will never show pride of ownership!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
Free Range Human wrote:
I have to say it shocks me that you had the exact same experience with a dealer, though. Dealers have "people" whose only job it is to clean and fix stuff, so WTH are they not even bothering to clean it up?

Stuff like this just disgusts me, because I've never done it. Whatever it is, I clean it up first, then tell both the good and the bad about it (trying to put it as diplomatically as possible). I figure that if they hear the not-so-good stuff from me, it will make everything I'm telling them believable.

Plus, if I lie to them, they (often) know where I live ๐Ÿ™‚

So sorry you're having these experiences. I don't get it, either. My gut reaction to something like that is just to turn around and leave. You're a liar. If I can't trust what you say, I can't trust anything you're selling, either.

But what a waste of time and mileage to find that out.

You might try first remarking that you've "seen so many units that weren't in the condition described, so do you mind if I ask you some questions?" And then, "What does the carpet smell like? About how many spots on the linoleum have worn through to the underlayment? How many sides have delamination/bubbling on them (just assuming they do until proven otherwise)? When was the last time the (fill in the blank) was cleaned/washed? How many places on the roof have gaps around the caulking? If I buy it I'd like to take all the service records with me; I assume you have them?"

IME, one of three things will happen when you start getting real specific:

(1) The true scam-artists get fuzzy, disappear, or get defensive.

(2) The "salesmen-liars" start giving honest answers in spite of themselves, and/or see #1.

(3) The ones who've taken care to clean up and fix everything will already have told you some of this in their ad, and won't (if you explain why you're asking in the first place) mind answering your questions.

My experience is mostly with rental houses, but people are people and this should work with every big-ticket item.

my thoughts exactly with a dealer, as a matter of fact I went to look at nice DP at a very reputable local new car dealership, they about 3 years prior had opened a second location selling new airstream trailers and Thor motorhomes. I looked at a used airstream land yatch they had with a 68k price tag. I opened an upper cabinet to see a fairly large waterspot inside on the wall. I asked the salesmen about it. He said oh our guys were supposed to steam clean that!.. I walked away without another word spoken.this coach was also advertised as flawless no leaks.
Home is where the Marine Corps sends me.