cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"QuartzSite"-? What's the attraction????

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Been a member long enough to see the words "goin' to QuartzSite" pop up so often that it seems like I should know what folks are talking about.

I finally looked it up and it looks like a Giant RV Parking Lot that fills up in January/February every year...what on earth brings all those rigs down there????

Thanks

Francesca, stick-in-the-mud
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
132 REPLIES 132

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
humm. Seems some people forget or are judgemental about what constitutes a n rving experience. The Q is about anything goes, everything welcome, just look around find the group or niche to your liking.
We camped for 2 weeks 3 years ago between the aforementioned Blue Birds and the nudist colony at La Posa south.( The Blue Bird gathering time horns are a Hoot, say what? ) We were comfortably surrounded by rigs of every size, age and type, with no concern. Last dec. we again camped out at Plomosa Rd, mile 1 for 2 weeks, all alone for a 1/2 mile in any direction. Whatever you want to find in desert boondock camping, it is there.
This rv community is made up of every slice of our nation, some with wherewithall to have a Newell, a Prevost,a schoolie. whatever. Theres the gent who was brought up going camping, never lost the love of it just taking it to another level while remembering his humble beginnings. these are the folks we respect. A camper, ANY camper a well loved rig of any type regardless of type or age taking their youngsters out to begin their love of the life on wheels.
Quartzsite is one those many miracles evolved in our time, that may pass into our history as did rt 66. I'm glad to be one of the many who can pass on the memory, to the next generation of campers.

This is the best answer to "Q" questions I have evers read on this forum. If, after reading this post and all the preceding posts, and still do not wamt to experience the fun at the "Q" then it's just best to move along to "slab city". 🙂
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
The fuzzy hubby and I LOVE the great RV love-in that is Quartzsite in January! Anyone in this thread who loves it too, keep an eye out for a big green bus. If you see it, be sure to stop and say "hi."

I love RV watching from Carl's Jr. I swear if I sit there long enough, I'll see every RV owner in the world pass by.

But to the person who worried about parking next to a Prevost because the 8V92 is noisy, we have the Detroit series 60. 😉
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
frugal?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
S Sullivan wrote:

Cheap as in "cheap" (poor quality)

Or

Cheap as in inexpensive ???

"Cheap" as in "CHEAP", as determined by the buyer/customer/mark/victim/etc.....Duh!

The only outstanding questions for me, the O.P. of this thread, are as follows:

1:
Is Quartzsite cheap enough for me?

and

2:
Am I cheap enough for Quartzsite?

Anyone? Hello?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
RLS7201,

I was very careful not to knock any of the trashy RV's we'd SEEN in abundance as not everyone can afford or even wants to own something like a Prevost. Sorry we didn't take any pics. However, what does it cost to keep an RV etc looking at least halfway decent? Soap and water isn't expensive nor is a little elbow grease or paint! It does require a little of a person's time though and so many don't want to be bothered etc. Can't mention a word on here of what many of them would rather be doing or do as it'd get deleted anyway!

We've never had an issue keeping any of our things decent looking no matter their age. Nor have our family or our neighbors etc. Makes for being a place or area you'd rather be in for sure. Perhaps, you should go into the inner city neighborhoods in many of the larger towns and see how you'd like living there for a few months or even staying overnight. The neighborhoods sure look clean and inviting and where you want to be, right? Most places you'd not even try sleeping with your eyes closed! To each, his own!

No thanks on the inner city. I would rather be in the company of the good folks in Quartzsite or Slabcity. Don't see any RVs in the inner city.
Glad you don't fit in at quartzsite. We have plenty of good folks that do.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

S_Sullivan
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:
one word.......... cheap tools!

Cheap as in "cheap" (poor quality)

Or

Cheap as in inexpensive ???

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Been a member long enough to see the words "goin' to QuartzSite" pop up so often that it seems like I should know what folks are talking about.

I finally looked it up and it looks like a Giant RV Parking Lot that fills up in January/February every year...what on earth brings all those rigs down there????

Thanks

Francesca, stick-in-the-mud

Great fishing, hunting, football player all live there in the summer.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Quartzsite is one those many miracles evolved in our time, that may pass into our history as did rt 66. I'm glad to be one of the many who can pass on the memory, to the next generation of campers.
Bravo! I'm sure you've most eloquently stated the feelings of the majority here.
Thanks for posting.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
humm. Seems some people forget or are judgemental about what constitutes a n rving experience. The Q is about anything goes, everything welcome, just look around find the group or niche to your liking.
We camped for 2 weeks 3 years ago between the aforementioned Blue Birds and the nudist colony at La Posa south.( The Blue Bird gathering time horns are a Hoot, say what? ) We were comfortably surrounded by rigs of every size, age and type, with no concern. Last dec. we again camped out at Plomosa Rd, mile 1 for 2 weeks, all alone for a 1/2 mile in any direction. Whatever you want to find in desert boondock camping, it is there.
This rv community is made up of every slice of our nation, some with wherewithall to have a Newell, a Prevost,a schoolie. whatever. Theres the gent who was brought up going camping, never lost the love of it just taking it to another level while remembering his humble beginnings. these are the folks we respect. A camper, ANY camper a well loved rig of any type regardless of type or age taking their youngsters out to begin their love of the life on wheels.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Interesting comment "very poor condition RV's about everywhere we looked".
Look more closely.
Sometimes we take our Bounder (cheap) to the Blue Bird rally at LaPosa South, to visit with our friends.
One time we had to move because a Prevost park too close to us with his loud DD 8V92.
You would probably see my ol 95 Bounder as a "very poor conditon RV" but it just returned from a 11,000 mile trip to Alaska, with no major issues.
So.........it may not all be as you percive.

Richard
I'd like to know where they are as well. It frankly amazes me the money thats scattered around the desert out there. With the exception of some of the old time trailer parks, there are very very very few poor condition RV's in Q. How could they be? Look at the trip they need to make to get there...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there is a huge HAMFEST in January, If you are a Ham or would like to get into this check it out. Lots of great folks and activities such as movies, seminars, pot lucks, an off rode trip, and crafts and cast iron cooking for non hams.

RayGToo
Explorer
Explorer
I may be one of those "thin-skinned" members that you're referring to. I don't take issue with whether you liked the place or didn't. I took issue with your "waiting to die" comment. Was that really necessary?

Here is my response to your comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------
travelnutz wrote:

Probably cause we didn't want to look like the mostly dead, dusty, dirty, cheap, RV'ers, who were left out in the barren desert just waiting to die...
-------------------------------------------------------------

My reply:

Wow, don't hold back, let us know how you really feel. Do you get judgmental much? If it's not for you, it's not for you, but why do you feel the need to disparage those that do enjoy it there?

Then you said (in part),
--------------------------------------------------------------------
travelnutz wrote:
Sure are a lot of thin skinned members posting on this thread. You'd think they are mortally wounded by about anything others say they don't/didn't like about the entire Quartzsite area. If it's your bag, go and enjoy it and if it's not your bag, just stay away. Pretty simple isn't it?

(snip)

Now why did this experienced scene form such a negative opinion in our minds? (snip)

We are not a bit snooty in anyway as anyone who knows us would tell you. (snip)

Now, go ahead and pick it apart again as I stand firmly by the words i've written!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, if you had limited your remarks to simply disliking the area, that would have been fine, but you chose to make a clearly disparaging comment about the people that are there, which really was uncalled for.

So here is your request to get "picked apart". Clearly you're not snooty and judgmental at all (I guess), but your words sure sounded like it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that instead of offering an apology to anyone that you might have offended, you're going to come back with more comments in order to justify yourself. Have at it, and continue to "stand firmly by the words you've written", but a duck will always be a duck my friend, and you clearly are a duck.

Have a nice day.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201,

I was very careful not to knock any of the trashy RV's we'd SEEN in abundance as not everyone can afford or even wants to own something like a Prevost. Sorry we didn't take any pics. However, what does it cost to keep an RV etc looking at least halfway decent? Soap and water isn't expensive nor is a little elbow grease or paint! It does require a little of a person's time though and so many don't want to be bothered etc. Can't mention a word on here of what many of them would rather be doing or do as it'd get deleted anyway!

We've never had an issue keeping any of our things decent looking no matter their age. Nor have our family or our neighbors etc. Makes for being a place or area you'd rather be in for sure. Perhaps, you should go into the inner city neighborhoods in many of the larger towns and see how you'd like living there for a few months or even staying overnight. The neighborhoods sure look clean and inviting and where you want to be, right? Most places you'd not even try sleeping with your eyes closed! To each, his own!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Give me liberty (Slab city) or give me death!

David
Socal