cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"QuartzSite"-? What's the attraction????

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Been a member long enough to see the words "goin' to QuartzSite" pop up so often that it seems like I should know what folks are talking about.

I finally looked it up and it looks like a Giant RV Parking Lot that fills up in January/February every year...what on earth brings all those rigs down there????

Thanks

Francesca, stick-in-the-mud
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
132 REPLIES 132

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
RayGToo wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

Probably cause we didn't want to look like the mostly dead, dusty, dirty, cheap, RV'ers, who were left out in the barren desert just waiting to die...

Wow, don't hold back, let us know how you really feel. Do you get judgmental much? If it's not for you, it's not for you, but why do you feel the need to disparage those that do enjoy it there?

No, I've never been myself.

Amen!
There, but for the Grace of the Spaghetti Monster, go I, you, us.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Nobody has mentioned poor to no cell service, tv broadcast and bad hot spots. Did it get better since we were there?
Yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RayGToo
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

Probably cause we didn't want to look like the mostly dead, dusty, dirty, cheap, RV'ers, who were left out in the barren desert just waiting to die...

Wow, don't hold back, let us know how you really feel. Do you get judgmental much? If it's not for you, it's not for you, but why do you feel the need to disparage those that do enjoy it there?

No, I've never been myself.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
watch out if your DW says shes going into this one shop just to look at the books!
And for that circle of rigs 1/2 mi. SE of the dump station at La Posa South. Those folks waste no water on laundry!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Went once just to check it out and spent a night south of town in a wildlife preserve to avoid the crowd. I think one could love it or hate it. It seemed like chaos to us but definitely lots of stuff to buy and look at. We actually applied for and got jobs at Yellowstone NP there. It's not really our kind of thing to go there and spend weeks but it is unique and I guess you can dry camp cheap.
Jayco-noslide

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Nobody has mentioned poor to no cell service, tv broadcast and bad hot spots."

It gets much more "lively" service if you sit on top of a cactus when using your cellphone. Everyone can hear you for miles around even when their cell is turned off! Now that's great reception and no minutes used!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
DUH! "Quartzsite' with an S, the site of Quartz."

All quartz and no pintz or gallonz? Gee what a strange place!

Must be why we quickly drove thru and didn't stop to eat, buy fuel, or even do a nature call. Once was one too many times for us!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We go for a few days every year or two. Dry camp somewhere. Enjoy the music, friendly folks wandering around, LOTS f RV's new and used to look at, usually a few interesting booths at the show including travel booths, camp fires at night, clear desert sky, a good place to stock up on widgets for projects, Angela always finds interesting inexpensive Jewelry for the nieces and grand nieces. Always fun. We usually plan it as a stop on a trip to some where. Its all good. If you are sociable type you'll probably like it.

Quartzite 2012

Its the desert so expect to see camels.

All the food is health oriented.

The big tent.

For the Rock hounds.

Checking to see if the log home is in the smart cars towing capacity.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Quartzite is like boondocking with a thousand neighbors.
Sorta defeats the whole concept.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Nobody has mentioned poor to no cell service, tv broadcast and bad hot spots. Did it get better since we were there?

I had no problems with Version wireless, not perfect but was able to get 2 to 3 bars..

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
bad hot spots?

What is a bad hot spot?

Hotspots based on Hughesnet uplinks. Slower than congress.
Basically useless.

Thanks for the edumacation!:B
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Bounder30E wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
bad hot spots?

What is a bad hot spot?

Hotspots based on Hughesnet uplinks. Slower than congress.
Basically useless.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care for Quartzsite yet I go there every other year because several RVing Women's chapters, along with a multitude of other RVing groups, gather there annually during the vendors/flea market extravaganza in January. It's a convenient time to rendezvous and also get gear for, repairs done to ones RV.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since I tend to avoid crowds, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't 'Q' start out many years ago as a gem & rock trading/selling annual get together.

Then I hear a few showed up in their RV's …….and the rest is history.