cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rid-X for Black Water Tank ??

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
For whatever reason, it suddenly dawned on me that maybe I should just use Rid-X in my black water tank instead of the overpriced additives that are sold for camping use. I realize I might not get the odor control that some might provide, but on the other hand, if the Rid-X does it's job, maybe that won't be so much of a problem.

I should add that I am just starting out as a full-timer so this would be for long-term use, as opposed to just weekend or vacation use.

Do any of you use Rid-X or a like product ?

Thanks,

Tim
20 REPLIES 20

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
We use the Geo method and tank water is crystal clear with zero odor. And no chemicals.

You must be on a "water only" diet. If you're putting the "real stuff" in there it won't ever be crystal clear.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As full-timers for 16 years we have never used anything in our tanks...and no smells. Lots of water is all you need.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Many people use chemicals of different flavors in their holding tank. Makes them feel good about the care they are taking. Many people don't use anything...
Suggest you at least try not using anything. I haven't used any chemicals for the last 8 years of fulltiming and just haven't found the need. If it doesn't work for you, choose one of the name brands to supplement your waste disposal.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
interestingly enough, according to NC State University :

"Are Septic-Tank Cleaners Necessary?

No. These products include biologically based materials (bacteria, enzymes, and yeast), inorganic chemicals (acids and bases), or organic chemicals (including solvents). They do not reduce the need for regular pumping of the septic tank. Some of these products contain organic chemicals and may even damage the drainfield or contaminate the groundwater and nearby wells."

taken from this link

for a RV holding tank, installing a tank flusher is a far better way to handle the issue

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Geo method and tank water is crystal clear with zero odor. And no chemicals.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had a rig where maybe there was an accumulation of hardened stool I would try Rid-x and leave it in for at least a few weeks before flushing out. We use it for the septic tank at home, for black tank just use water and rinse/flush tank every time we dump. We've had our rig since new and have diligently rinsed our black tank and always added water directly thereafter to minimized hardening of residual waste, and sensors still work in our rig after 6 years of heavy use.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used anything. Never had a problem. My opinion Using chemicals is a waste of money. If you dump at home and have a septic system using chemicals other than rid-x would not be a good thing. I vote for nothing.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
If it makes you feel better, go ahead and add it to your black tank. Not going to hurt a thing. And if you leave it in there for a few weeks, it'll probably do some good.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have read various threads where people have used septic cleaners in their black water tanks with no problem - the trick is to allow them time to digest - best to use in summer and when your rigs going to sit for a couple of weeks.
Kevin

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Total waste of money for RV or your house. Google septic tank care and read some of the studies by Universities.
If you don't have a rinser, add one.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed this year that one of the rv black tank drop in manufacturers (Thetford?) has an enzyme "formula", I believe as a drop in. Whatever, I did see it at Wally's.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rid-X forum discussion clicky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Funny thing about RV waste tanks.....they are just holding tanks.
Uness you plan on leaving the 'stuff' in the holding tank for extended periods Rid-X will not ave enough time to eat the stuff.

Chemicals are also not really needed as they just make the stuff smell like perfumed poop.

Except for an occasional sniff when flushing (just like a regular toilet) you should have NO odors from your holding tanks inside the RV.

Waste tanks have vent lines, have seals on lines to/from tank and other means of 'vapor barriers' to keep odors out of rig (toilet bowl holding water---vapor barrier; 'P' traps holding water---vapor barrier; toilet floor flange---mechanical barrier; Air Admittance Valves---mechanical barrier).

Use chemicals, enzymes, odor controls etc if you want..they aren't going to hurt anything but they are not necessary.
Use of water is all that is really needed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you buy and install a quickie flush you will do a better cleaning job and have no need for rid-x