Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Right on yard art

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
What extras catches your eye.
Not so much the xmas lights hanging from the awaning.

Tips on lighting for ground effect
an or lighting in general that serves both as eye catching and
Serves a purpose

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! I've never been in a campground so dark that it needed to be lit up by extraneous lights.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I think I win for seeing the most scary extreme!

I woke up late one night when the dog had to go out.

THIS is what I saw behind my MH when I stepped out the door.
I thought the Aliens had landed!! :E

NIGHT

This is what it was in the daylight.

Along with this! What a crazy cool rig!

All owned and driven by a 5 foot tall young lady. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
We try to keep all lights off at night. Nature provides all the light we need outdoors.

Sit and watch the stars without a fire and lights. Amazing how much you can see.

That's why we boondock. Away from lights and noise.

I am in complete agreement. In many locations if all the lights are off, it is virtually impossible to safely enter your rig. To briefly illuminate our entry, I installed a 12" waterproof LED strip on the bottom of each of our steps(two) and connected them to a 12vdc remote switch with a ten amp relay. The whole thing was less than $20 on eBay. We drive up to our rig, turn on the under step lights, open the door and turn the lights off. Easy as can be and in my opinion very inexpensive. Hope it doesn't bother anyone but at my age safety is important.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We use to put out all kinds of lights and yard ornaments and had our camper lit up like the Las Vegas Strip! But after a while, we really did not enjoy having to put it all away when we broke camp.

Now, IF we need extra lighting, we just lay a rope light (purple in color actually) on the ground. It creates a nice glow, and doesn't overpower light to neighboring campsites.

But even that becomes too much work. So we just really prefer the dark, and if we need light, just turn on the light by the side of camper.

However, for Father's Day this year (for the guy who has everything), my dog (yes, my dog... so my wife says), got me this. Easy to put up, but casts light everywhere and gets a lot of attention. We do turn it off when we go inside the camper at night.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We try to keep all lights off at night. Nature provides all the light we need outdoors.

Sit and watch the stars without a fire and lights. Amazing how much you can see.

That's why we boondock. Away from lights and noise.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Count me in for the "less light is better." Also goes for "yard art" The only thing that I put out is the bird feeder.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over 4th of July we had the "privilege" of having the site next to us get occupied by a DJ. He promptly put out a laser light show device that reflected off his camper, put out his professional speakers and subwoofer and his large outdoor TV.

All day, all evening and until after midnight he was blasting music and projecting his lights off of everything. That was certainly eye catching... especially at midnight as I had to go up to his camper and ask him to turn that s--- off so that I could go to sleep (he was inside, music blasting outside...).

My objective when going camping is to enjoy the sights and sounds of the campground... preferably wind through trees, crickets and frogs, thunder etc. Putting up cheesy stuff and "eye catching" things isn't really my thing.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Different strokes for different folks.
We live in nature and I've always lived way out in the "country". That being said, we hate light at night when we're trying to sleep. No street lamps where we live, just pitch black dark. But when at campgrounds, the light situation varies by place. At places like Fort Wilderness, you must have at least half a dozen outdoor light fixtures just to fit in ๐Ÿ˜‰

In general, we have rope lights for the edge of the awning and an LED light strip on the camper (below the awning). Since we spend a fair amount of time socializing outside under the awning, this lighting is good to have. We also have a lighted name/sign post outside at the front of out campsite, which puts out very little light. The sign post stays on 24/7, but the awning lights go off when we call it a night.

In general, I'm not annoyed by campers and their lights. A few years ago, though, our neighbor had a workshop-style hanging light with a bright incandescent bulb hanging on his rig...and that was super annoying.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
White rope lights under the awning. Green rope lights under the coach. Enough to see but not intended to be seen.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
At a large, busy campground with lot going on, I enjoy the various lighting at campsites. Funny that people mentioned those "star lights". We were just camping last week at a busy family campground and my wife kept saying that the stars looked odd. Took us a long time to figure out that it was coming from one of those laser star projectors at a neighboring campsite. That was the first time we had seen that! Very cool!

We walked over, the neighbors welcomed us, we checked out the lights, talked, laughed, and just had a good time.

Rope lights also seem to work well. I like when they are put underneath the camper, and on the ground around the outer edges of the awning. Lights up the campsite in a cool way.

I agree that at a quiet, "woodsy" campground a lot of lighting effects would be annoying. But at a large busy campground, I find it interesting and cool how people setup different lights.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just boondock at a Walmart, or other big box store?
Park out of the way but, under a light if you need a bright, well lit area for camping.

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

less is more. we prefer no lights.

X3!
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Up North I just use my amber porch light. It's low enough wattage that I can still see the stars and sometimes the Northern lights. Other people have taken a white 5 gallon empty bucket drilled a hole and put in a blue light bulb. This gives a soft glow.

When you get away from the city it's surprising how vivid the stars are.

I love sitting outside of a evening and listen to the Loon's and Wolves howling off in the distance.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
None is better, enjoy the night sky. Hope I am not the guy next to you
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have the laser lights shined up into the trees above our site, get a lot of people saying they enjoy them. Also have red rope lights mounted under our fifth wheel, gives a nice red glow at night and able to see arou FW without any bright lights.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian