cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Risk of down-shifting?

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Coachmen Sportscoach with a 330hp CAT, and 6-speed Allison transmission. Here is my question. Do I risk damaging my transmission if I down-shift in order to slowdown or to save on my brakes when going down a long and/or steep grade? In reading through all my manuals I cannot determine if my coach is equipped with a jake brake.
Paul & Margie
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Absolutely, you should downshift to get some compression braking out of the engine going downhills
Since you're not familiar with your vehicle yet, consider max rpms when you floor it right before upshift as the max rpms you want to see going downhill before upshifting.

Idk anything about your rig but don't think the exhaust brake is totally automatic so is there no switch for an exh brake?
Do you hear it when decelerating? It's notciable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
The trick is to downshift into the lower gear before you start down the hill. Some say put it into the same gear you would have to downshift to if you were climbing the hill.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:
I agree, with using both, but I was told once, ask yourself a question which cost more to fix. So I use my breaks more than the trany.

Ask yourself another question. Which is more expensive. Saving the brakes with the trany. Or smoking the brakes And crashing with a runaway rig? Me. I'll use the trany.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, with using both, but I was told once, ask yourself a question which cost more to fix. So I use my breaks more than the trany.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Paul1944 wrote:
Do I risk damaging my transmission if I down-shift in order to slowdown or to save on my brakes when going down a long and/or steep grade?

Absolutely no problem......IF you anticipate the downhill and down shift BEFORE your speed gets out of control, like at the crest of the hill right after the grade warning sign.
And that applies equally no matter what engine and transmission you have.

The truckers rule of thumb is:
Whatever gear you had to use to pull UP the hill, is the same one you should use going down the other side.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jake Brake is a name of a product from Jacobs Vehicles and works with your valve train.

You probably have an exhaust brake and its usually labeled engine braked. Mine is by my left hand on the side console with other switches.

As mentioned, the Allison trans wont downshift it means over revving your motor.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Research exhaust brakes, not jake for your engine.

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Most transmissions will protect themselves, so you'll need to use both brakes and transmission. Get RPMs down to the lowest gear that will allow control, then use brakes to help drop RPMs. Don't ride the brakes (or do your best not to). Work your way down until you get to your desirable speed. Use lower gears as much as possible.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
The Allison transmissions I am familiar with will not allow you to downshift if the RPMS are too high. It has it's own computer to prevent damage.

If you try to downshift at too high RPms the tranny will not shift.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition