cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrip by car vs RV, a couple of thoughts...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a 1,000+ mile 5 day trip from our home in Payson Arizona to San Diego. We combined an important business meeting with the opportunity to visit our daughter and SIL along with 8 of our best friends.

San Diego is one of the least friendly RV destination in the country. Parking restrictions and a expensive RV parks along with southern California traffic makes it less than ideal. Consequently we left the 24' Class C at home and enjoyed the 24 mpg of our Honda Ridgeline vs 9.5 of the coach. Full disclosure: I drive a bit faster in the Honda than our coach. :B

The first night we stayed with our friends in north county {Vista} ironically utilizing the master bedroom of their 40' DP as guest quarters. We enjoyed a great dinner with them and had a blast reconnecting as we had not gotten together in more than a year.

The next day we drove down to San Diego and checked into the Bay Club Hotel on Shelter Island. It is a very nice hotel and you can't beat the location overlooking the marina. Our room was $574 for 3 nights which with the fuel savings figured in and the cost of local RV parks enabled us to just about break even.

Food was a different story... Naturally we were eating out for nearly every meal and the costs added up quickly. We took the opportunity of being in our former home town to hit several of our old favorite restaurants. It's difficult to eat as healthy as we are accustomed in our coach when dining out but it was fun to just relax and enjoy. I was more than a little shocked at how high the cost of dining out had gotten as we don't do it often.

Bottom line... any fleeting/foolish thoughts about selling ther coach have disappeared into the spaceship along with Jimmy Hoffa's body {we get offers almost once a month as folks drive by and see the motorhome in the driveway}. I enjoy doing all of the cooking including when traveling in the RV where we do virtually all of our eating/imbibing in the coach saving serious dollars. While the hotel was awesome we really prefer to sleeping our own bed etc. and after 9+years and 74,000 miles have out pretty well gotten the coach dialed in.

Another factor for us is our habit of usually towing our 10' cargo trailer hauling either the Can Am Spyder or your Rzr SXS depending the destination and the nature of the fun we have planned. This drops the mileage to about 8.5 but we usually stay off the grid or in inexpensive CG's.

We had a great time in San Diego but it reinforced our enjoyment of taking the motorhome as we will continue to do. Coming up... Quartzite for the RV Show towing the Rzr {we'll camp out at Sadden Wash} followed in February by Payson to Pahrump NV towing the Can AM. From the Lakeside RV Park we will day ride the Can Am to explore Death Valley.

:C
52 REPLIES 52

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I prefer to take one of the RV's which one depends on what I am doing. A long trip then I use the 5th wheel, a trip that involvs a lot of 1 day here one day there the camper. I like the conveniance of having my own bathroom while I am traveling, my own food so I can pull over and make lunch when I am hungry, and my own bed. don't get me wrong if I have to go one a trip thats over 8 hour drive and I am only at the destination for 1 or 2 nights I'll fly if the price is reasonable but in Canada air line tickets are far from reasonable. its 180 plus taxes to fly from vancouver to edmonton so about 240 (return, but I have to get to vancouver so thats another 140 plus taxes so it is well over 400 to do the trip, plus about 5 hours of travel time. for me to go with my camper its about a 8 hour drive and costs me less than 400 in gas. so even there it makes more sense to take the camper and go even if I am only staying over night.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It boils down to personal preference. A car is light and fast. An RV is slower and comfortable. Go the the way you like. I don't think people really save much money with an RV. It is the wrong reason to own and use one. Take an RV because you like it.

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
My side business requires a lot of short-term quick travel, so I still do a lot of driving and flying. Both options, plus the RV have their time and place for us.

Funny that I come across this thread after making the final decisions/reservations following about a month of penciling out a 5500-mile , 25 day round-trip jaunt this summer.
Flying would have actually been the fastest and cheapest, except Dexter the corgi needs to go with me (going to Ohio for a big competition). He is a bit too big to go in the cabin (the others are smaller and can/could), and there are only very narrow circumstances under which I'm OK with putting him in cargo. Direct flights on Alaska Airlines only, and only when temps are below 75F and above 50F. We couldn't get that to happen, so no flight.

I could have made far better time taking just the minivan and hoteling it, but because of the outrageous rates at the on-site hotel and pricey options along the way, taking the TT is just about a wash, even with the 10mpg towing vs 25mpg in my minivan. I have my own bed, everything is clean to my standards, and I like the food better! We will take a couple of layover days and explore a few regions that have made our short-list to move to after retiring, so it's a multipurpose trip.
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
Cooking a nice meal every night? I'm sure that some of you do that and I'm sure that many of you are outstanding cooks. But I'll also bet that the majority of you will maybe cook a hamburger or just make a sandwich and have a beer or two. Me I'm on vacation I don't want to have to cook and do dishes and make the bed every morning. I do that stuff at home not on many vacation.
I'm going to go to the restaurant where somebody takes my order and serves me my hot food. And for some reason food almost always tastes better when someone else does all the work and you just have to sit back and enjoy it. Well with the exception of the cafeteria at Yosemite Lodge or Curry Camp. Yeah that food leaves a lot to be desired. But 20 minutes later I'm past that point and having fun again and not having to stop to do the dishes etc.

On a relaxed trip, we cook most meals.

But if the goal is to put in 12-14hr days (heck even 8-9hr driving), making miles, we would typically be eating-out at least 1 meal and often 3 meals a day. After a long day, we just want to kick back and relax. If it's just quick and easy sandwiches and such, you can take a cooler on a car trip.

Of course, for us, short of an emergency, we only travel 1-4hr per day in the RV and trips are usually measured in months, so we have all our cooking supplies on hand.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As a member of the still working class I will use both methods. My trailer is for a weekend to maybe a week camping. But even a week is rare.

If I need to go any distance I'm in the Suburban or taking a plane and staying at a hotel.

Staying in my own clean bed? Not concerned. The hotel beds are changed before I get there. If the place is really so cheap that they are not changed I'm never going to know it. AND I'm going to sleep soundly and wake up and since I have an immune system I'm not going to have cooties.

I take cruises on a cruise ship. My favorite is the three day booze cruises from Los Angeles to Ensanada. It's a booze cruise with a lot of young (30 something) kids. I'm aware of what happened in that cabin bed the night before I got there. Yep I stay in that bed and I don't worry about it.

Cooking a nice meal every night? I'm sure that some of you do that and I'm sure that many of you are outstanding cooks. But I'll also bet that the majority of you will maybe cook a hamburger or just make a sandwich and have a beer or two. Me I'm on vacation I don't want to have to cook and do dishes and make the bed every morning. I do that stuff at home not on many vacation.
I'm going to go to the restaurant where somebody takes my order and serves me my hot food. And for some reason food almost always tastes better when someone else does all the work and you just have to sit back and enjoy it. Well with the exception of the cafeteria at Yosemite Lodge or Curry Camp. Yeah that food leaves a lot to be desired. But 20 minutes later I'm past that point and having fun again and not having to stop to do the dishes etc.

Don't get me wrong I like my trailer. I like it a lot and I use it for weekends often. The bathroom fits me but it is cramped. My kitchen counter is tiny. My dinette table is on two poles so it's wobbly. The foam in the dinette cushions is fine for 45 minutes then you start to feel the wood base underneath more and more. The furnace is a bit loud at times but it does not wake me at night. The hot water supply is limited.
Would I sell my trailer and go back to a tent? Heck no not a chance. I love RV'ing and I love my trailer and I love vacations in it. I'm just not at a point in my life where I need or want to limit myself to one method of travel.
Your mileage may vary
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Good sentiments. I just went on a trip to Elko for Cowboy Poetry. We take the car and stay in a motel. It is not ideal in winter with three dogs, but camping in an RV when it is below zero is a challenge.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this years ago when we decided to go to Disney. I figured the trip 3 ways, flying and staying on Disney property, driving and staying on Disney property, and taking the TT and staying at Fort Wilderness. We priced out all 3 and they all came within $300 of each other. We decided on the TT and The Fort. And the added plus of stopping at Stone Mountain for a day.
First off I hate flying. So that is usually the first to go.
I love to drive, for me itโ€™s very relaxing. And you get to stretch your legs. As well as you are on your own schedule and donโ€™t have to rely on someone to get you from A-B (airport to destination).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Ewe-Stun, the default was always the RV for a road trip; even if the #'s penciled out as a push, the ability to have our own kitchen, beds, shower, grill resolved any debate.

Now that we are back in the Last Frontier, the RV days are over and any road trips to the L48 will involve fly then drive. Spent 6 weeks on the road just prior to the Covid panic driving and moteling...very enjoyable.

Ewe-stun or Alaska, if the destination is the thing (rather than the journey), we're quite likely to fly
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I belong to the Elks. And there is plenty of lodges in the San Diego area that has a space for the RVs. I prefer staying in my trailer than the hassle of eating, sleeping and overall being bored with staying in a hotel/motel.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
GREYHOUND is still the cheapest
And every town has motels near the railroad tracks.
Or pack a tent in a Geo Metro.

Planning an economical RV is with a clean sheet of paper.
Pickup not needed for a light, true-aero trailer.
And neither TV nor TT need be new.

Transportation budget controlled during the year is where the real savings occur which then underwrite vacation travel. The higher the total annual miles, the easier this is.

I use a 1T and average 15-mpg towing a 35โ€™. Those more serious have a TT under 24โ€™ and a car where low 20โ€™s towing is possible (being done, IOW). โ€œUtilityโ€ is having an open trailer for around town chores. TurboDiesel cars & SUVs make this easiest.

An RV isnโ€™t a penalty where one starts from scratch making easy travel the goal.

Three days, three weeks or three months.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken56 wrote:
The last place we ate out at was a Jimmy Johns sandwich place....22 dollars for 2 sandwiches.
Where was this?

Jimmy John sandwiches generally cost in the vicinity of $8 for something like ham and provolone, and $9 for a sandwich with added bacon, avocado, or extra meat. Where were you charged $11 each for two sandwiches?

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here... I have enjoyed and appreciate all of the input from you folks. Sounds like most of us are on the same page. Another advantage to having the coach even if we do stop for a meal on the road is enjoying it in our coach where we carry our own beverages. A soft drink, ice tea or even a simple cup of coffee will run you around $3 on top of the cost of the meal. With burgers climbing to nearly $10 {without fries :S} a simple lunch combo can easily exceed $15 + tax and a tip if you are in a sit down restaurant. Even fast food joints are hitting you up for tips these days.
:E Lunch for the two us at a lot of fast food places gets close to $30 OTD and that equals two or three home {RV} prepared meals for the two of us.

Just got the LP leak {bad gauge} repaired and the tank refilled so even though we missed Quartzite {again} we hope to head out for Pahrump and Death Valley this month. No more hotels in our immediate future to be sure.

:B

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
However if you already own the RV the only way to maximize its value is to use it!

That's our philosophy too. We've already paid for it; might as well enjoy using it - and we do!

A few years back, we stayed in a hotel after not having done so in quite some time. Wow! I had forgotten all the work involved dragging suitcases in and out, packing and unpacking, and limitations on what we'd want to bring along. With the camper, we pretty much bring whatever we want and the stuff is convenient to access whenever needed.

We especially enjoy having all the conveniences available during the trip(s) to the desired destination(s). Even if we stop for a burger along the way, we'll usually eat inside the camper and make use of the dinette, restroom, etc.

Sure, things could change for us in the future. But, for now, it's the rv all the way.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yโ€™all crack me up!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
I think eating out is far more expensive than cooking for yourself. We can cook a great meal outselves far cheaper than going to a restaraunt.

When we go to a restaurant at home or while camping it is more about taking a break from cooking than saving money.

The last place we ate out at was a Jimmy Johns sandwich place....22 dollars for 2 sandwiches. I can cook at my trailer for about 10 dollars a dinner for 2....and it's far better than most places to eat out at.