cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rodents (mice) keep infesting trailer and pickup truck ???

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
What can I do to keep the vermin from invading our trailer, battery compartment and under the pickup truck hood, etc... They keep getting in and setting up nests and chewing things, etc....

Tried some Irish Spring soap but not really solving our problems.

We keep the trailer and pickup truck stored on our country lot for months at a time so the critters seem to like the fact that they are undisturbed.

Any magic solutions to keep them away? Devices, Lights, etc???

Thanks,,
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Even with a cat that regularly patrols the shop (and averages almost a rodent a day around the property, year in year out. We get to count them because they are typically left on the driver way or in the garage for our disposal!), the camper always gets a mouse in it in the winter. Not the snowmachine trailer which is outside, not the boat which is in the shop next to the camper with a cover in it, not underhood of multiple vehicles.
1. It's gotta be the smell of food/spices in the camper.
2. Never thought of it, but I've felt the camper was totally sealed and there's no evidence of chewing in and they can't parachute into the fridge vents. It HAS to be the power cord and the hole in the power cord door. That literally is the only entry point except the fridge vents and I'm. Pretty sure nice can't climb a steel Jack leg or waxed fiberglass walls.

Funny story, 2 years ago, no nests, not much mouse poop, but an industrious mouse carried in probably 2 cups of goat feed, from the adhjacent shop. In mouse steps it was about 5 mile hike! And ate a pack of ranch seasoning and half a bag of fish fry breading, in the same cabinet he deposited the goat food. I'm thinking each trip he dropped off the goat food and had a snack on ranch dip before leaving.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
So far, fingers crossed, mothballs and dryer sheets have worked. I live out in the country, and get mice in the house constantly, and I have cats. I store the trailer in the barn where we have 3 barn cats that patrol. Did the usual precautions with sealing and steel wool, but found that if I take mothball bags and place them on anything the mice would climb up on to get inside, such as the tires, jacks, and power cord, then they stay away. Can't climb up, can't get in. So far, so good.

Tried that for the house, didn't work, those little F'rs get in all the time, even the rodent proof foam doesn't stop them. I found the best way to kill them without poison, since I don't want to kill the dogs and cats is electronic traps. Put a dab of PB in it, set it down and wait for the ZAP. Instant kill, open lid, dump out mouse, close lid and put back down. Killed 7 the very first night, all told about 3 dozen mice so far since getting 2 traps. I gave up on the "clean" traps, little bastards eat their way out before we get to them.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Bronze wool would work and won't rust.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that using steel wool to seal up holes, gaps, etc... Is good for keeping mice out also. They don't like chewing it.
Proud father of a US Marine

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with mice. I sealed every hole in the RV with foam but still had a few mice. Then I realized that the power cord entered the RV and left a small opening around it. I made a metal shield to close the space around the cord and voila!, no more mice.

Get down under your RV and seal ALL small holes. Look for any other possible entrances and seal them. If you still have mice, do it again, better.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Get a couple of cats.

X2!!! Even one good outside cat will do. It's worked for me for over 11 years now
Proud father of a US Marine

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mice want a few things. A dry area and close access to a food source and a tiny bit of water.

Old fashioned moth balls will work, but you won't like the smell.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
I put dcon under the hood of Subaru it seemed to work haven't found anymore nest in the heater vents.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
You can try spraying a product called Mouse Oust (available online) on the ground outside of the trailer/truck. We have had limited success with it but my MIL swears by it. It has a fairly pleasant mint smell. Other than seal EVERY and I mean EVERY hole, no matter how small. We just had to scrap our house fridge because one crawled up inside the back where we couldn't reach and died.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try to make sure to fix any places they have been getting into to trailer. Then placing the large plastic outdoor rodent bait boxes under the truck and trailer. If they can feed outside before trying to get in the trailer they should die outside and not inside stinking up the trailer. Make sure not to store any food inside the trailer and wipe down and clean the microwave, stove, stove hood (including the filter if it has one), counter tops, sinks and cabinets where food has left any residue between uses.

MrWizard
check with local feral cat rescue/control

some groups catch them spayd them then turn them loose

a couple of spayd feral cats will get the rodents

with out breeding a population that will get out of control
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to find and seal every and I mean EVERY hole. SS screen followed by spray foam. Great Stuff has one that is listed as rhodent proof. Does a great job of stopping them.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't be there to manage a bunch of peanut butter baited traps then give them Dcon while you are gone.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Get a couple of cats.