cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rookie move.... Again!

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I've been RVing for forty years! Yet, every trip DW and/or I make at least one stupid rookie move. This time I didn't tighten down the hatch on my LP tank cover and it blew off. Never anything major, thankfully. But always one!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
32 REPLIES 32

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Listen, after RVng for forty years and you are still getting the 'wiggle and flash'.....who cares about the rookie mistakes :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must have setup over a thousand times but still go to put leveling boards under wheels on the wrong side every once in awhile.

One would think that getting something as basic as that would be automatic without thought by now.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:

Okay, I've been RVing for forty years!

It's OK to be green, but don't be evergreen!

Just keep working on it..;)

~

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just don't use a propane tank cover so that solves the problem of it blowing off. I just keep the tanks and holder spray painted up nice.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
pira114 wrote:
Amateur hour as far as mistakes go! Try this one:

One of my favorite spots is very un-level front to back. Front needs to be pretty high to get level. So the ground slopes down towards the truck. See where this is going yet?

Yup, I forgot to chock the wheels. As it was coming off the ball, it started rolling right at me and my wife. We caught the trailer (not really). A 26 footer ain't light, especially a 1987 Wilderness. We both took a good hit, but luckily the truck is what really caught it. Snagged the trailer hitch on the bumper. Chocked the wheels, used a jack to get it back where it belonged, and then looked around to see who was laughing.

Now THAT'S a stupid mistake.

GO one better. True story.

O.K. Here is the rest of the story, but Iโ€™m not proud of it.

It was the first summer we were retired maybe our fifth or sixth stop since hitting the road. Now we have been camping on weekends and vacations for over thirty years, and owned 4 travel trailers before this one. So we knew all about full time living. Yeah right. Thinking back on those days my wife and laugh hysterically at how naรฏve we were.

Pulled into a campground checked in, got our site assigned. Had a long straight back in to the site. Checked it all out before starting in. Well, the site LOOKED level. My wife and I used our radios, got the trailer backed in one swing. Man we are good!

She said I โ€˜m going inside to set up. I replied that I would set up the outside and unhook. Take safety chains off, Unhook the electrical plug. Jack up tongue to relive pressure on WD bars, and remove. Lower tongue, release latch and raise tongue to dis engage off the ball.

That was when the trouble started. The tongue came off the ball and the trailer started rolling away from the truck, at a pretty good clip, towards the back of the site and a 20 foot drop off.

Know what? You canโ€™t stop an 8,000 pound trailer from rolling by grabbing the tongue and hanging on. The trailer just drags you! Wife is screaming, over and over, from inside: โ€œSTOP!โ€ Well, I tried; after all I grabbed the jack didnโ€™t I?

After about ten feet the jack dug into the soft dirt enough to stop the trailer. Wife comes out of the trailer and we had a discussion about why this happened.

Today, when we enter a campsite, I drive and my wife guides me. When the trailer is in position, I am not allowed out of the truck until my wife sets the chocks. I also have to put the truck in neutral first to prove nothing is going to roll.

Oh yeah, the wife now sets up the outside. I do the inside.

I did something very similar.

I had a TT once with a single axle. I unhooked went inside and walked toward the back of the trailer. When I did the front of the trailer came off of the ground and started to roll down the hill toward the lake, WITH ME INSIDE IT.

I ran the the front of the trailer where the door was and that caused the jack to come back down and it dug into the dirt. Thankfully, the park was almost empty and no one saw it happen.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:

One of my favorite spots is very un-level front to back. Front needs to be pretty high to get level. So the ground slopes down towards the truck. See where this is going yet?

Yup, I forgot to chock the wheels. As it was coming off the ball, it started rolling right at me and my wife. We caught the trailer (not really). A 26 footer ain't light, especially a 1987 Wilderness. We both took a good hit, but luckily the truck is what really caught it. Snagged the trailer hitch on the bumper. Chocked the wheels, used a jack to get it back where it belonged, and then looked around to see who was laughing.

GO one better. True story.

O.K. Here is the rest of the story, but Iโ€™m not proud of it.

It was the first summer we were retired maybe our fifth or sixth stop since hitting the road. Now we have been camping on weekends and vacations for over thirty years, and owned 4 travel trailers before this one. So we knew all about full time living. Yeah right. Thinking back on those days my wife and laugh hysterically at how naรฏve we were.

Pulled into a campground checked in, got our site assigned. Had a long straight back in to the site. Checked it all out before starting in. Well, the site LOOKED level. My wife and I used our radios, got the trailer backed in one swing. Man we are good!

She said I โ€˜m going inside to set up. I replied that I would set up the outside and unhook. Take safety chains off, Unhook the electrical plug. Jack up tongue to relive pressure on WD bars, and remove. Lower tongue, release latch and raise tongue to dis engage off the ball.

That was when the trouble started. The tongue came off the ball and the trailer started rolling away from the truck, at a pretty good clip, towards the back of the site and a 20 foot drop off.

Know what? You canโ€™t stop an 8,000 pound trailer from rolling by grabbing the tongue and hanging on. The trailer just drags you! Wife is screaming, over and over, from inside: โ€œSTOP!โ€ Well, I tried; after all I grabbed the jack didnโ€™t I?

After about ten feet the jack dug into the soft dirt enough to stop the trailer. Wife comes out of the trailer and we had a discussion about why this happened.

Today, when we enter a campsite, I drive and my wife guides me. When the trailer is in position, I am not allowed out of the truck until my wife sets the chocks. I also have to put the truck in neutral first to prove nothing is going to roll.

Oh yeah, the wife now sets up the outside. I do the inside.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
In 10 years of RVing, I've only had one rookie mistake, knock on wood. I left the TV antenna up. Camp host flagged me down at the dumpster to let me know.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy new screws for the LP tank hatch as I left mine undone on a trip last year. I put regular screws and wing nuts, but they are much more aggravating than the screws that were on the tank, so I really want to replace them. Just got to go to dealer and ask him to order the right ones.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
When I am unhooking or hooking up, I do not want anyone around. I need to concentrate. I don't want to talk with anyone or answer any questions. .

DW and I do it together. The pro is its half the work. The con is we're never quite sure as to who did what. Also DW thinks it fun to, to, to..... How do I say this..... Wiggle and flash as we work to keep it interesting. Fun yes! Distracting yes! Efficient no! ๐Ÿ˜›

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! .... The LP door that is ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
When I am unhooking or hooking up, I do not want anyone around. I need to concentrate. I don't want to talk with anyone or answer any questions. .

DW and I do it together. The pro is its half the work. The con is we're never quite sure as to who did what. Also DW thinks it fun to, to, to..... How do I say this..... Wiggle and flash as we work to keep it interesting. Fun yes! Distracting yes! Efficient no! ๐Ÿ˜›
Me & Her since 1977
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:

WOW!!! That really did make me feel better about myself. You're a good friend! :W
Me & Her since 1977
Boat 20' TriumphDC

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
After a few times not securing doors, leaving something on the countertop, or not putting the fridge on the proper setting, I took a few minutes to put a Departure/Arrival Checklist on my cellphone, and I now make fewer rookie mistakes. Studies show that Checklists reduce errors - that's why pilots & now operating room personnel use them.
2013 RT 190-Popular

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
When I am unhooking or hooking up, I do not want anyone around. I need to concentrate. I don't want to talk with anyone or answer any questions.

So far this has worked. The few times that I have been interrupted were the times that I almost made a mistake or forgot to do something.

Also, when I am finished hooking up, the last thing I do is a complete walk around of my 5er, looking at everything. And I take a look at my hitch from behind the tailgate to make sure everything looks good there too.

And I am NOT in a hurry.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I did have my LP gas cover go flying... but that was when opened it, and found that over the summer, it became an apartment complex for a hive of wasps. Thankfully it was cold weather, so they were not active. My reaction tossed it a good distance for something as un-aerodynamic as that cover.