cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing solo

RVgirl2015
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to drive from New York to Fort Launderdale, then onto Yuma, Arizona. Is this a crazy idea for a single woman without a gun? Also, please explain why you think what you think.
33 REPLIES 33

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you know how to shoot a gun but you are legal carrying a shotgun in all states.
Dennis Hoppert

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
You are just as capable as any other person regardless of the organs between your legs. Don't be afraid to learn, break out of your comfort zone, familiarize yourself with youtube and google and just about any issue can be solved.

I told my mother in law after she lost her husband that the day she decides she can't do something she wants to do because she is alone is the first day she starts to die. She drove to Canada every year for 40 years and now she wants to stay home because she is afraid. Get off your rear end, pack the car and GTFO of here. She went, was happy she did. If she had stayed home that would of been the end of her trips and every day she would of died a little more on the inside.

There is no reason to limit yourself, do your homework, know your routes, take your time and be aware of your surroundings. Believe it or not we actually live in a very safe country. Violent crime is way down over the decades and so long as you avoid stopping in the middle of the ghettos and decide to walk around at 3am you're going to be just fine.

Don't live your life in fear, just go and live your life. You are just as capable as any other healthy person out there. Travel and enjoy your life while you can.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think you can have a wonderful time traveling alone. I know lots of women do it by themselves.

FYI: Here's a ladies only group you might want to check up on. I'm sure they can give you tips and help and suggestions and do's & don'ts. I met some of the ladies at a State Park in Northern Indiana this past summer and they are a delightful bunch.

As one woman said to my wife and me, "No pet, no kids, no men!"

Click here. Enjoy their web site. Their vintage campers are fantastic!

jackmccormick
Explorer
Explorer
Before we were married, my wife was sometimes a solo camper. She enjoyed it. FYI, there is a great singles camping group called LOW's, Loners on Wheels. She and I were both members, before getting married..

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has their own opinion on this and mine is just one other. Situational awareness is No. 1, if you don't like how your surroundings look or feel then move on. I would keep on hand bear spray, not unusual for people to have that in their campers (even if you are not a hiker). Firearms are not the answer for some people, for what ever their reasons. I carry mine everywhere I legally can. I consider it to be 2 lbs. of insurance and I hope to never need to use it. There are no guarantees in life no matter what you do so go travel and enjoy it. Life is too short to not do what you want to do.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Hit the road and have fun! As mentioned just always be aware of your surroundings and listen to your instincts.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

RVgirl2015
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all that replied to my post. I think I have been listening to way to many nay sayers in the past few days. Hence, allowing uneasiness to seep in my psychy.
Now I just have to wait for the roads to clear up, then I can hit the road.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
A less-than-lethal alternative that may circumvent some State's gun laws.

If you do carry a firearm, make sure that the areas you travel through will permit the transportation of such. IIRC, NY is not a friendly State for firearms.

Hullo to that. I constantly received calls from gunsmiths asking if I wanted/needed a gun in my former business (it's on the list of jobs that can get a firearm w/ ease) but always said no; was sure I'd shoot my eye out.

That being said I live under NY county's laws and regulations, not the state's.
You should be fine, OP, traveling solo, in an RV. Just be aware of your surroundings. Feel uncomfy in an area? Keep moving.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A less-than-lethal alternative that may circumvent some State's gun laws.

If you do carry a firearm, make sure that the areas you travel through will permit the transportation of such. IIRC, NY is not a friendly State for firearms.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Not at all a crazy idea. Go for it. I travel solo, tow fifthwheel. CWP.
Probably about 3 times your age.....?

Be cautious, not paranoid, stop long before dark for the night. Choose your surroundings carefully.

Good luck, have fun.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well i don't think necessarily you should be packing, however I think you need some sort of fall back protection like,pepper spray, bear spry, a kiddie ball bat - something.

Personally my camper is never void of the old locked and loaded hawg leg.

have fun out there

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Solo women Rver's are pretty common these days. If your rigs large enough consider buying a friendly dog - good companion/protector and easy way to meet fellow campers.
Kevin

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been RVing solo, not full time but lots of time, since 1991. My firm belief is that your best weapon is your brain. Be alert to signs of possible trouble and either do not enter or leave before things get bad. I don't think that safety is a gender issue. Be sensible, be cautious, keep your rig in good repair so it doesn't let you down, and get out there and follow your dream!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
And this person.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
follow your gut. if you feel un-easy. keep going.

look at buildings. if run-down.. keep going.

I have met a few . single Rv Ladies. traveling along.

keep in contact with family.. on a set day and time. if possible.

ENJOY.