cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing solo

RVgirl2015
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to drive from New York to Fort Launderdale, then onto Yuma, Arizona. Is this a crazy idea for a single woman without a gun? Also, please explain why you think what you think.
33 REPLIES 33

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just bought a new can of bear spray for the camper. Anyone will recover from bear spray. It also works well on unruly dogs. I have had more problems with dogs than people in over 17 years of driving truck, and 10 years of rving since I stopped driving truck. And actually, more problems with skunks than either people or dogs!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
Perhaps you might be interested in the following thread if you haven't seen it yet?

Looking for an RVer.

Above is not a very good example IMO.

Use your common sense, and have a blast. We have met many single women rv'rs around the Country, and they were happy as clams! Wasp spray should be more than sufficient, if you feel you need some sort of protection.

I have my concealed carry permit, and pretty much quit carrying since we left the big city. Situational awareness is key.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVgirl2015 wrote:
I am planning to drive from New York to Fort Launderdale, then onto Yuma, Arizona. Is this a crazy idea for a single woman without a gun? Also, please explain why you think what you think.

I didn't read this whole thread.

First, if you are carrying a weapon for this sort of purpose then you better know how to use it properly !!!!!

Second, if you have one for this reason then you better be willing to pull the trigger and take someones life !!!! Are you really, really, ready and willing to do that ??

Third, don't believe everything you see on Television . Millions of people drive all across this country every year without a problem. I'm not going to say that there is never a problem because I would be a lair if I did. But, you are more likely to get hurt slipping in your own bathtub.

Just go and have a good time.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a woman, I find many of these suggestions to be rather drastic. Women live and travel alone all over the world without having to go to such extremes.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Just be prepared. If you don't have a gun get mace or a taser and make sure they are not buried in the bottom of your purse.In fact I would buy several and keep them in different locations and learn how to use them. Travel during the day. And although we like to stay in state and federal parks where there are generally less people, you may want to stay in commercial parks where your neighbors and law enforcement are closer.A medium to large size dog can also be a deterrent.

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a gun for the false security of it, you probably should stay home. Guns kill and most of them wind up in the hands of loose nuts.

Travel like it's your last days on earth and have no fears. If you harbor fear, no matter what it is based on, you will always be looking over your shoulder. The last time I felt the need to carry a weapon was when I was in a little country in Southeast Asia in 1969-1970.
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just present yourself as someone who'd kick yur @ss just for lookin sideways!
You know, "security by Smith n Wesson" bumper sticker, maybe a leather Biker vest and some tats.
And leave a pair of size 13 boots by the door!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you might be interested in the following thread if you haven't seen it yet?

Looking for an RVer.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, we met two different solo lady travelers in Seward Alaska in the summer of 2015. Each were having a great time. If you think you can do it, then do it. As others have noted, just use your brain and your "spidy" sense.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
While we full-timed we met many, many, many single women of all ages traveling alone. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sele
Explorer
Explorer
follow all the good advise and have fun. The gun thing only if you are completely comfortable. Everybody has given you alternatives, find one you like and go for it.
scott

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
The advice regarding situational awareness, and common sense is good. Something I wasn't as aware of as I should have been earlier in life is where the statistical greatest risk you face comes from. Unfortunately, I learned this after I lost people I loved. In America, your greatest risk of being a victim of violence, or murder comes from those you know, not strangers. Use common sense, and reasonable caution and you shouldn't be any more at risk traveling/camping than you are anywhere else.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you live alone? Do you go shopping alone? And so on. Traveling solo is no different than being a single person - period. You face the same issues and concerns, so if you can do it "at home" then you can do it on the road. Whatever "protection" you feel comfortable with at home will be sufficient on the road.

And in reality, when you're traveling, you're more conscious of what's going on around you than when you are home - so it's actually a bit safer because you're paying more attention.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
If I can tow a travel trailer all over the place, you can, too!
I do have 2 big dogs, but they were my pets before I got the trailer. Just listenter to your gut and use your brain. If a place feels sketchy, keep rolling.

Most of all, enjoy!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H