cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling a Genny

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not trying to sell my genny here but asking advice on where and how. Things and times change and i no longer need my 2000i champ that is still like new. Craigs list and face book has had no results. or maybe i need to bite the bullet and get down to 1/2 price.

i would appreciate any advice.
26 REPLIES 26

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
"Wait until winter hits! Power outages will bring people to your door!
Run an add saying "get ready for winter!
Champion 2000i are pretty quiet at 53 bds.

This is probably the best advice.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I advertised my 2000 watt Champion genny on Craigslist and it sold in no time. I sold it for about half of new price.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I struggled to sell my old generator and ending up putting a price or trade. Came across a contractor that had a older craftsman air compressor and a air nailer that fit nicely in my garage.

Anything of similar value that you could use the generator to barter for?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how far I have to drive. Where are you located? I'll go $105

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I.d go $100. and come pick it up. used is used ,and it ain,t a honda.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I paid about 400 and tax for my Champion when new. I like it and its all I could afford also. I think Id get $200 for it and new that going into it.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
enblethen wrote:

^This! If you want to maximize how much you sell it for.
I had a Honda 2000 that we were throwing away at work. Got it running. Amazing what a clean carb, fuel and enough oil in the engine will do!
Threw it on Craigslist when there was an ice storm predicted. Soldit that day for $700
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You didn't buy it to sell it, you bought it to use it so you have less into it than a Honda or Yamaha.

Yeah, you most likely will have to reduce your price, add in "negotiable" and be willing to deal a bit..

I instantly ignore any ad which states "FIRM" because when I am looking to buy used I AM looking for a deal and buying used does have great possibilities of buying the sellers JUNKER..

If you have a place in front of your home that you could set it out close to the curb you could set it out with a for sale sign. That is how I sold a old 2000w Sportsman open frame gen I wasn't using.. I did only get half of what I paid new and that gen had less than 10 hrs of use.. But hey, I got it cheap at a mere $150 and sold it for $75..

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Champion? You'll be lucky to get half price. I've had one and it worked fine but they're a dime a dozen. Drain it, seafoam it and set it off to the side in case you need it or give it to someone.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
You may check to see if you have a local "yard sale" page you post on. We've sold and bought a few things from a local page here.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold my Yamaha 2800 I Inverter on Flea-Bay in 2 days for my asking price. Just price it right. A Champ 2000 (Inverter) retails for 499 everyday, sometimes on sale for $450. Price accordingly. It's used so I'd say 300 is equitable.

Like new don't count, it's still second hand even if you never started it.

Farce book is a waste and CL is for tire kickers and thats about it.

Second choice for you would be local classifidies.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB