cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slammers

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We've been at this fulltiming thing now in our 14th year. Given that we've been in close proximity, even boondocking, close to someone for at least half of that time, what's up with the slamming?

Slamming RV doors. Slamming car/truck doors. Slamming outside cabinet doors. Slamming Motorcycle compartments (yep 20+ times in the last 3 days). I don't get it. ALL of those entities can be closed quietly without disturbing anyone. I can close the door to my F-250 without making a discernible noise 2' away.

Do you all just want attention or do you just not get that this could conceivably bother other people?

Please think and stop it!
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
75 REPLIES 75

cbconway
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all are sounding like a bunch of OLD geezers (and I'm 70)!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ("When all else fails, play dead") -- Possum Lodge motto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC SB Auto 3.42

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
tnscoutr wrote:
Hello everyone. My name is Ken, and I'm a slammer.

When can we get together and SLAM some shots of scotch?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
What happened to common sense and mutual respect for others?

I'm a morning guy. I tip toe around because I know others don't have the schedule as I do. It's out of respect and although they don't know my habits they are unknowingly happy because they get to sleep in without any slamming or noise.

Good for them and it doesn't hurt me a bit to be a little less obnoxious.

Bud, please let me know where you are. I'll camp next to you anytime.

I've heard all the **** about latches that have to be slammed. It's all BS from people too lazy to take 3 more seconds to close it without noise. You know who you are.

Again it comes down to the kind of consideration that you practice. Too bad that very few seem to observe the same anymore. And the most surprising is that people of my generation (early 60's) seem to be the worst offenders.

Is it a sense of entitlement/self importance? Is it a lack of awareness of surroundings and other people in those surroundings? Or is it simply "I don't give a **** anymore"?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I guess most people think this thread is a real gas. That's great but it shows how we have become. Don't bother me I won't bother you. Wonderful. What happened to common sense and mutual respect for others?

I'm a morning guy. I get up at 5 a.m. everyday with or without an alarm clock. I tip toe around because I know others don't have the schedule as I do. It's out of respect and although they don't know my habits they are unknowingly happy because they get to sleep in without any slamming or noise.

Good for them and it doesn't hurt me a bit to be a little less obnoxious.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe it's genetic...there is a "slamming gene". My wife is a slammer. I've tried to get her to stop. Nope. In the house, in the car, in the motorhome...doesn't matter. SLAM!!! I've explained to her that it increases wear and tear. Nope....doesn't get through. Tell her I have enough things to fix around here and don't need anything else added to the list. Nope. Nothing. Still...SLAM! She's even seen me fix numerous items around the house that I've explained to her failed due to "slamming". Nope..."I can't prove that" is her response. My next resort is to let her fix the next thing she "slams to death"! LOL

I believe it's genetic. I weigh 230+ pounds and I can go in and out of the motorhome without anyone hearing. Gently open the door, tread lightly on the steps, carefully close the door with the lock handle in the "open position", releasing it when the door is fully closed. Lock it with the key if needed. Our older son is the same way. But the youngest two....just like mom. Stomp down the stairs like elephants are coming! The younger boy is trying to do better...the daughter..."mini-mom"...well....I think it's genetic! LOL

Well...either genetics or they're just inconsiderate. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
No one on my wife's side of the family gets along, so of course they are all slammers.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:

You know there was once a day when you could use something called a "KEY" to lock the vehicle.

I drove my brothers 2014 F250 this year. We stopped for gas. The truck locked itself. When I got back into it to drive I used the key. Everything was fine until I put the key into the ignition. Then all heck broke loose. There was lights flashing, and horns and beepers going. As everyone stared at us I had a thought and I pushed the unlock button on the key.... Everything got quiet. You can't unlock anything with a key anymore. You need a computer chip to do it.

Boy that Sucks.

I hope Ford didn't change the way they did things. In the past, all factory alarms would disarm when you opened the door with the key, or put the key in the ignition.

I agree with you. My two current vehicles, if the remote battery is dead, no big deal. Some cars, if the battery dies in the remote, you are just plain hosed, as some models don't even have a keyhole on the driver's side anymore.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tnscoutr wrote:
Hello Ken! Thanks for the laugh! When is group discussion?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
My door is very touchy on adjustment. It seems like it's either too loose or I have to slam it to get it closed. Frustrating.

eastern_shore_g
Explorer
Explorer
This is hilarious! We were camping last weekend and early Sunday morning while laying in bed I could hear everyone around us slamming doors inside and out. I made a comment to my husband about it and said what in the world do you think they are doing?? And now I see this topic on RV.net!! Glad to know I'm not the only one that has noticed this.:D

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
I've been telling the wife and kids to stop slamming the doors, cupboards whatever for years! At least those people making noise around you aren't guaranteed to be with you wherever you go!
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

whencanwego
Explorer
Explorer
Western Sky Ranch wrote:
I'll slam what I want **SLAM!**, when I want **SLAM!**, as often as I want **SLAM!**, and there isn't a darn thing you're going to do about it. **SLAM!** **SLAM!**

**CHIRP, CHIRP!**

And what grade are you in, little boy??

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll slam what I want **SLAM!**, when I want **SLAM!**, as often as I want **SLAM!**, and there isn't a darn thing you're going to do about it. **SLAM!** **SLAM!**

**CHIRP, CHIRP!**
Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they made a quality door and locking mechanisim, not one using pot metal, there would be no reason to slam the door. I slam it out of frustration sometimes when even closing it gently doesn't work. I hear others doing it and feel sorry for them knowing they have crappy latches too. Maybe we should just leave it ajar as someone always has to mention how easy it is for the bad guys to break in.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS