cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Pickups Coming Back?

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I was in Parker Arizona at the Chevrolet dealership and was informed that the Colorado may be at the dealership in August. I wonder if the others will follow. Would be great for those of us that have 5000# hitches. OOPs should have been posted in general.
34 REPLIES 34

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
timmac wrote:

Not true, Ford and Chevy just gave up, here in Vegas Toyota and Nissan small trucks are everywhere, I even have the 09 Frontier parked in my driveway, gets around 22+ mpg highway and has 4 doors and much easier to park, the Chevy Colorado in 09 when looking to buy a small truck was cheap and gutless, Nissan won out in quality and power, also looks good..

The Frontier is good product for someone wanting a smaller truck. The V6 has a nice sound and it pulls out very nicely. I enjoy driving it. I was driving a new V6 Mustang the other day and thought the engine should sound as good as the Frontier. Mine is an 07 w/ roof rack, 4X4 and I can just get 19.5 MPG at a steady 65 so ...on the older ones fuel economy is not a plus. Newer ones have taller gearing and fewer trucks have the roof rack.

Mine has the 5 speed auto transmission, 4.0 V-6 and is only 2 wheel drive without the roof rack, its the 4 door model but still gets around 22 mpg highway if I can keep it at 65 mph, I was however still able to get 20.5 mpg driving to Cali at 70+ mph and that's through the mountains, still not bad..

I do have to say one thing Nissan sure makes some fast cars/trucks, my Frontier can sure get up and go in a short order, 0 to 100 mph in no time at all..

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

Not true, Ford and Chevy just gave up, here in Vegas Toyota and Nissan small trucks are everywhere, I even have the 09 Frontier parked in my driveway, gets around 22+ mpg highway and has 4 doors and much easier to park, the Chevy Colorado in 09 when looking to buy a small truck was cheap and gutless, Nissan won out in quality and power, also looks good..

The Frontier is good product for someone wanting a smaller truck. The V6 has a nice sound and it pulls out very nicely. I enjoy driving it. I was driving a new V6 Mustang the other day and thought the engine should sound as good as the Frontier. Mine is an 07 w/ roof rack, 4X4 and I can just get 19.5 MPG at a steady 65 so ...on the older ones fuel economy is not a plus. Newer ones have taller gearing and fewer trucks have the roof rack.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't seem that Chevy has given up on the small truck with the expansion of its Wentzville plant

New Plant
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
I think the small truck segment has died off because they didn't cost much less, didn't get better fuel mileage, held less cargo and were less capable than the 1/2 tons.

Add it all up and you can see why people passed them over on the dealer lots and therefore, why they have dissapeared.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
Still think it is a shame Ford dropped the Ranger. I loved mine.

They were great trucks.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a New 1971 Ford Courier PU, no options, not even a radio which was just a re badged Mazda. I drove it , all three of my kids learned to drive in it. It still ran great with 240,000 miles but I had to junk it because of rust in 1999. Toughest little truck I ever saw.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
I think the small truck segment has died off because they didn't cost much less, didn't get better fuel mileage, held less cargo and were less capable than the 1/2 tons.

Add it all up and you can see why people passed them over on the dealer lots and therefore, why they have dissapeared.

For the most part true. At this point though the market is underserved. Also not much effort has been put into maximizing fuel economy from the smaller trucks. This should be changing soon.

I have a nice little Frontier 4x4 pickup. It truly does use as much fuel as all three of the previous full size pickups I owned. But it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive-nimble, narrow and fast. A pleasure to drive-even at high speed cruise. Great on narrow dirt roads. Tow rating 6K lbs if I ever wanted. Lots of room around it in garage. Perfect for someone who doesn't need the capacity of full size truck.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bring back the Subaru Brat.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've used several minis, Toyoto, Mitsubushi, and clear back to a Datson. I'm short and loved them as it was easier to get in bed. As a farmer loved to work out of them. Kept a big pickup for towing.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Dumptrucker
Explorer
Explorer
What full size pickup will fit in your garage? That's why we bought our 12 Colorado 4X4 crew cab. Fits 4 comfortably and tows great. We saw the 15 Colorado at the SF auto show in Nov. and it looks good. The dash is the smaller version of the Silverado and they extended the bed. No more V8 but the other options will be adequate. There is definitely a market for a mid size truck. Buy American

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wanted to buy a Luv diesel. Also had money down on an original Rabbit Diesel. After months of waiting, I picked my money off the table.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If they would just bring back the Luv. Hopefully better than the original :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Bring back the El Camino and Ranchero!

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Bring back small Pickups