cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage Shelter Etiquette

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
Has anything like this ever happened to you? I recently replaced my bricks for use under my stabilizers with Lynx Leveling Blocks. There's a fence behind where I park my travel trailer at the storage shelter. I put the bricks behind my travel trailer by the fence. They had been sitting there for about a month. Even though I wasn't using them, and really didn't want them, I noticed today that they were stolen. I think they were taken by the guy two spaces over. There was a stack of bricks behind a tire on his utility trailer, but I'm not 100% sure whether or not they were there before. Is there some unwritten storage shelter rule that if someone leaves something unattended to, still within their parking space, that it's assumed that the item is free for the taking? Another reason why I hate parking my travel trailer at a storage shelter.
60 REPLIES 60

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
Rvpapa wrote:
Should have used a marker pen and put your name and serial number on all your bricks. (this should be for 7)
Art.

Congratulations!!!!! First post on page 7. You've won the grand prize.

A Free Brick*

* Just pay a reasonable shipping and handling fee (plus customs fees if shipped to Canada}
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Should have used a marker pen and put your name and serial number on all your bricks. (this should be for 7)
Art.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Should have turned him in to the water police. I think they frown on wasting water out there. There yet?

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
When in California a few years back ,
I left the water hose, one of those curly ones
attached to the spigot to mark our site
when gone for the day.

Upon returning, the hose was gone,
a guy three sites down was using it to wash his class A

When I went down to see him, he was not even slightly embarrassed,
simply disconnected the hose and handed it to me!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
"I noticed today that they were stolen. I think they were taken by the guy two spaces over. There was a stack of bricks behind a tire on his utility trailer, but I'm not 100% sure whether or not they were there before."

This says to me, the OP saw his bricks were missing, and he walked around until he saw some bricks and assumed they were his.
He doesn't even know if the other guy had bricks before his went missing.
Suddenly the poor guy 2 spaces down is labeled a Brick Thief, and posters on this site are out for blood..:)

My first thought was that like the storage facility I once used, the first time the maintenance man came by with a mower he would have moved them somewhere else so he could cut the grass.

PS: I only posted because I want to see this brick travesty reach 7 pages
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
My son had his ladder stolen while storing his 5th wheel toy hauler in a secure storage place. The guy parked near him took it and son did get it back. But he had to get the police involved to get it back. This guy still stores his RV there and since no one saw him take it even though he had the ladder, nothing was done about it when he returned it.
This guy is now stealing gas out of RVs, toy haulers, and jet skis. No one has seen him do it and son has installed a camera on his unit and the man has now avoided stealing gas from him.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I`m concerend once the bricks are away from your trailer they are "free" for the taking, kind of like stuff out on your curb. sorry, but if you were concerned about them they would've been stored under the trailer. stacked along the fence in a storage yard means I`m done with them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I think my neighbor just abandoned his porsche in his spot when he drove off in his RV. I better take it. Hee hee.

Personally I wouldn't take anything from another spot even if I thought it was abandoned and I needed it but I can see how in tbis case someone thought that the bricks were free for the taking.

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
If everyone would just stay on their own storage lot there wouldn't have to be even one page.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
ONE:

Is this the worst thing that happened in the last year?

TWO:

Six pages? We, as a group, need something more to do. Volunteer at the homeless shelter or something.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now we need a thread on "cone etiquette".

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When using a storage unit space yes when you pull out and leave small things behind everyone thinks you left it. they don't know if you are still using the space. Right or wrong to take well simply out they DO.

Most of us have found that when using an open air storage space for an RV to prevent this and so you CAN leave the stuff you want when using your RV, is to buy 12 small cones. They are very inexpensive.

Place 4 on each side and 2 across the front and back of your space when you leave. This lets EVERYONE know you are still paying for that spot and using it and it will actually PREVENT the theft of things left on the space. And/or finding another RV parked in your space when you return. Been there seen that too.

These same cones come out at CG sites when I leave for the day also. IMHO cones are a must have to have on board at all times.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I was raised to not take or touch something that isn't mine. But jeez there are a lot of unknowns here. You are "assuming" he or she stole them. Maybe the owner of the lot said to use them, maybe he thought they were just there for people who need them for chocking. He certainly is not hiding them.
At my sons boatyard, bricks and blocks of wood are behind many stored boats. If you need them,help yourself. If it bothers you so much,talk to him. The problem is that when we "assume" it makes an a** out of u and me.
That's when we try to get back at somebody for what we think they knowingly did and things escalate from there. Don't jump to conclusions.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Theft is theft......even a 25 cent brick.

All of the 'justifications' posted crack me up.

Guess I was raised different.
If it isn't yours---ask first. Can't ask....then leave it alone. It ain't yours.

No need for justifications, since nothing was stolen. Standard protocol to block your wheels before unhitching, and it's pretty common to grab whatever is handy to do so. I have occasionally dropped a trailer at the dealer's storage yard, and followed their instructions to, "grab some of the wood lying around, and block your wheels". Scrap brick, up against a fence is no different. Doesn't matter if it's a piece of firewood, a few bricks, or short pieces of 2x4, if its laying around, it's not out of line to assume the last guy used it for blocking and left it..