cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This may sound like a rant...

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out of town in rush-hour traffic, a Prius driver cuts me off, then when I honk at him, brake-checks me to the point where I nearly ran him down. A few miles later, an elderly woman in an Escalade just decides to merge into the space I am occupying.

This morning I ordered a windshield mount for my Gopro. The next time this happens, and I am unable to stop, I will at least have video evidence.

Sheesh, people. You will get there, just be patient.
55 REPLIES 55

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Every time this sort of thread comes up, it is blame the victim time.

No one is "blaming" the victim. Actually, there is no "victim". He ranted about things that happen to ALL of us. A suggestion to check one's own behavior is just that-a suggestion. Goes to the old adage if you think everyone else is a jerk maybe YOU are the jerk. No, I'm not saying the OP is a jerk-he isn't. He's expressing a frustration we all feel. We ALL have to drive defensively-it's up to us to protect ourselves, period.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It "their world" and we live in it....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
For those claiming blame the victim is wrong, complaining about it here isn't doing any good. Contact your state and federal representatives, get the law changed.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was driving the Boston to Tampa route about three or four times a year ... down I-95 thru traffic and construction. THEN, I decided to take I-81 instead just for a change of scenery.

Left the Tampa traffic, and cruised up I-75, picked up I-81, bumped up I-84 to I-90 and never hit traffic until outside Boston. Never drove I-95 again. It's a hundred miles or so longer, but about the same driving time due to no traffic. And you keep all your nerves intact ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Blame the victim??? file an accident report because you rearended somebody.
See who they blame.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Lynmore, I totally agree.

For the victim-blamers, I'll just say that when I'm dragging nearly eight tons down the road, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, especially not in bumper to bumper traffic. I know it's heavy, I know it's gonna take a bit to stop and that is why I try to keep a cushion between me and the vehicle in front, especially when that vehicle is a trucker and I cannot see around him. If you want to get in front of me, I've got no problem when you signal, then merge appropriately.

Without the video evidence of a sudden merge, followed by a brake-check, yeah, I'd likely be screwed. WITH video evidence, there's not gonna be much of an argument, it's all right there. So, I'll take the video evidence any day of the week.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't honk any more. I am afraid that the idiot who cut me off will pull out a gun and shoot me.
I just chalk it off to stupidity

My criteria and it has paid off, since I am 82 and have never been in a wreck or caused one is just drive DEFENSIVELY

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Every time this sort of thread comes up, it is blame the victim time. Somehow the person cut off, brake checked or forced from their lane, should have known that they have no right to exist. ๐Ÿ˜ž

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
go pro or not. you hit him is the ass it's your fault. Keep control of your vehicle

Not always. Brake checking under the OP's circumstances can be considered reckless driving (a criminal offense in most states) but most people don't have video to support the facts.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
This is not meant to be critical of you.
Prior to retirement and reviewing hundreds of accident reports... if your "close calls" have increased within last 6 months...that in itself is a precursor. Reevaluate your driving habits. Don't blame others, you have to adjust because You can not change others. If cursing and horn changed others the roads would be pretty empty.

True story but sad. Some of our trucks had pretty good air horns. Lady cuts in front of one of our guys, he lays on the horn...she slams on brakes. He rear ends her. She said she heard a loud horn and mashed her brakes because she thought a fire truck was trying to get by.

You can't change stupid, you have to adapt to them.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I don't live anywhere near a large city, nor do I vacation in them any more.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
my highway pet peeve are drivers who donโ€™t know how to merge into traffic from an on-ramp. we see people coming to a โ€œdead stopโ€ or slowing down at the bottom of the ramp. people..people...itโ€™s called an acceleration lane for a reason! i try to always move to the left when approaching an on ramp when i canโ€™t see if traffic is coming down the ramp. in urban areas ona 3- lane road youโ€™ll find me in the middle lane.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
go pro or not. you hit him is the ass it's your fault. Keep control of your vehicle
Dennis Hoppert

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I find that Prius drivers come from a different planet. They drive by staring at there electric use panel, even if that means driving at 60 mph in the fast line of a 70 mph freeway. It seems there is an unusually high number of brain dead Prius owners. My neighbor proves it everyday.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
seagrace wrote:
Heading out of town in rush-hour traffic, a Prius driver cuts me off, then when I honk at him, brake-checks me to the point where I nearly ran him down. A few miles later, an elderly woman in an Escalade just decides to merge into the space I am occupying.

This morning I ordered a windshield mount for my Gopro. The next time this happens, and I am unable to stop, I will at least have video evidence.

Sheesh, people. You will get there, just be patient.

There's hundreds of videos like that on YouTube. Whole 10 to 15 minute compilation videos for just the US, Canada, England and Australia. Lots from Russia too.

Unfortunately brake checks can result in multi car accidentz with rollovers. A lot of brake check victims aren't even the intended target but other innocent drivers as collateral damage with the intended victim avoiding the collision altogether.